What actions have the cruise lines taken to reduce transmission of infectious diseases onboard?

HeatherRich

I am not a first timer, but not greatly experienced either.  My previous cruises were pre-pandemic and I think we have all been made aware of how being on a cruise ship when an infectious disease breaks out can be disastrous. I have tried to find out from cruise websites what changes (if any) or processes they have in place to reduce transmissions and / or deal with outbreaks - not just covid, but any infectious disease, but it seems to be rather limited and talks mostly about covid testing pre.  Does anyone have any knowledge of what their infeciton control processes might be?

Thanks

In times pre covid   Noro was a big  problem

The lines encourage people to wash their hands often especially after using the washroom

Gel sanitizers are common place all over  the ships

but  you cannot monitor people  all the time & you cannot fix stupid

JMO

• Like 2

Most cruise lines in the world - and all cruise lines that call at US Ports - follow the very strict and complicated regulations of the United States Public Health Service (USPH). Specifically the Vessel Sanitation Program (VSP). You can find the VSP Manual online and download it to read - if you have a spare month or two.

Note that the incredibly strict regulations that are required of all cruise ships visiting America are not enforced on land in America.

If they did choose to enforce those same rules on land in America, virtually EVERY restaurant there would fail and be closed down.

• Like 1

Lets be very honest.  On mass market cruise ships you are crowding a lot of folks into a confined space.   Folks can use common sense, wash their hands (a lot), avoid touching their face, wear a mask, etc.  But the reality is that there is only a limited number of things that can be done in such an environment, especially with diseases spread through the air.  

If folks want to spend their lives concerned about all the nasty things that can happen, they might want to just barricade themselves inside their home, have everything delivered (and left outside), etc.  Otherwise. one might want to just live their life, use some common sense, and accept that life is full of many risks.  

Hank

• Like 4

5 hours ago, LHT28 said:

but  you cannot monitor people  all the time & you cannot fix stupid

JMO

It all goes back to the instant of creation:   there was a finite amount of intelligence created at the birth of the universe;  with the increase in population that intelligence has to be spread more thinly.

I agree that there is only so much that can be done to prevent the spread of diseases. 

I visited a country with very strict Covid-19 regulations (disinfect your hand shoes before going into a store, specify how many minutes per week you can walk your dog, measure body temperatures before going into a hotel and have the guest countersign it, each night filing a plan where and when outside your home you want to go the next day and waiting for an approval from the Ministry of Health, roadblocks on each highway, etc.) and people seemed to follow it.  Yet, interestingly, their infection rates were similar to those in the neighboring country where there were limited precautions.  

It will be interesting to see what will happen when a virulent type of deadly infection will appear.

28 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

It all goes back to the instant of creation:   there was a finite amount of intelligence created at the birth of the universe;  with the increase in population that intelligence has to be spread more thinly.

Hahahaha!   😄 😄 😄 

That's a good one.  I gotta remember that.

• Haha 1

On 3/3/2023 at 7:02 PM, Hlitner said:

If folks want to spend their lives concerned about all the nasty things that can happen, they might want to just barricade themselves inside their home, have everything delivered (and left outside), etc.  Otherwise. one might want to just live their life, use some common sense, and accept that life is full of many risks.  

Hank

I think everyone has had enough of the barricading for a lifetime.  Gotta live life!!  In our church bulletin:  "Worrying does not take away tomorrow's troubles; it takes away today's peace."

From all I've read, for anything like noro, Covid, etc., WASH YOUR HANDS OFTEN with soap, and never, ever touch your face or bite your nails.  Sanitizers are good, too, if you can't wash after using the handrails on stairs, pushing elevator buttons, or similar.

• Like 2

Sadly I don't think you can eradicate the threat of Covid (or even Noro) completely.  DH, adult DD and myself sailed with Cunard to the Canary Islands over Christmas and New Year but it was only towards the end of the cruise did we become aware that Covid was present.  In fact, the couple in the cabin next to us had it and were isolating in their balcony cabin.  A table companion also mentioned that several cabins on her deck were also isolating.

But here's an interesting fact:  The 3 of us shared a cabin and were together virtually 24/7.  DH is classed as clinically vulnerable and has had 5 jabs, my daughter and myself have had 4.  On disembarking we shared (obviously) the car journey home of about 5 hours, arriving back late afternoon.  The following morning daughter woke up feeling 'off', took a test and yes, it was positive and remained positive for the next 3 days.  We immediately took a test and guess what, both of us were negative and continued to show negative for 3 days.  We then stopped for 24 hours before testing again (out of curiosity) and were still negative.

So why did she get it and despite being together all the time, why didn't we?  

There is no answer to the above question but for us we simply came home and have booked 2 further cruises for later in the year!!!

One final point for the OP:  some people wore masks all the time but the majority, including us, did not.  The only time Cunard asked us to mask up was when we used the shuttle buses but even then some people did not bother.

To answer the question in the title: some ships have had enhanced ventilation systems installed during recent drydocks. One I am familiar with appears to be along the lines of what my dentist had to install in order to reopen during the lockdown. The downside is that, at least to me, it feels cold all the time. And I see a lot more people bundled up while inside on the ship.

There was a time some of us thought at least a few of the measures introduced to fight Covid would continue. As far as I can tell, none of that has happened and we are back to where we were pre Covid. The buffets are back to self service. No limits on how many people are allowed in a hot tub. Etc. 

On 3/3/2023 at 11:47 AM, HeatherRich said:

I think we have all been made aware of how being on a cruise ship when an infectious disease breaks out can be disastrous.

Where is the data that this is cruise-related? Just because "journalists" can track 6000 people all on the same loop for a week doesn't make cruising a dangerous activity. If it was up to health "experts" who knows how much longer cruises would have been grounded. Surprise, it hasn't been a death trap. Cruising is actually doing more than any other leisure travel businesses I can think of to appease this unfounded fear.

• Like 2

I was sick far more sick cruising before covid than after.  I think SOME of this has to do with protocols and most has to do with my own self awareness.  I don't want covid and I don't want to spend my cruising vacation in my stateroom.  Prior to any travel or any cruise I start updosing on supplements and I continue that through my cruise and all the way back home.  I have many of those little wipes they handed out to us like candy on flights, etc so I bring those and I wipe down contact points (on the plane, my stateroom and hotel) especially that nasty remote control. I am very mindful of my hands touching where a lot of other people have; such as handrails.  So, before I walk into the dining room, I stop and wash my hands.  I don't mask unless forced.  I do stay away from people that are coughing, but you can't avoid someone coughing next to you on a plane.  That is why I start high dosing supplements weeks before I travel.  One good thing post covid; everyone doesn't get to touch all of the food now which I think has gone a very long way to keep people healthier.  

On 3/6/2023 at 7:33 PM, Joebucks said:

Where is the data that this is cruise-related? Just because "journalists" can track 6000 people all on the same loop for a week doesn't make cruising a dangerous activity. If it was up to health "experts" who knows how much longer cruises would have been grounded. Surprise, it hasn't been a death trap. Cruising is actually doing more than any other leisure travel businesses I can think of to appease this unfounded fear.

Local school buildings were (preCovid) shut down occasionally for Noro outbreaks and that never made the news.  

• Like 1

Curious if most cruise lines are still moving you if positive or letting you quarantine in your stateroom. I would prefer to stay in my room with a balcony or window vs being put down on deck 1. The bad thing about that is you could have had a sick family coughing all over your room the morning of the day you are going to be in that room. 

12 hours ago, jamscckmc said:

Curious if most cruise lines are still moving you if positive or letting you quarantine in your stateroom. I would prefer to stay in my room with a balcony or window vs being put down on deck 1. The bad thing about that is you could have had a sick family coughing all over your room the morning of the day you are going to be in that room. 

Most cruise lines appear to have stopped leaving cabins empty for use as quarantine cabins, and are making passengers remain in their booked cabin. A recent poster on the Princess forum stated that she was quarantined in her inside cabin for five days.