Walkie talkies on cruise ship

JAN1

10 hours ago, ktcruiser said:

Can you clarify why the 10 year old couldn't use the chat feature? Do they restrict it so that only people over a certain age can access it? I was really hoping to use that feature with my 8 year old. 

If you read my previous post, I said 10 year olds are restricted from using the chat feature. You have to be 13.

Edited by broadwaybaby123

7 hours ago, broadwaybaby123 said:

If you read my previous post, I said 10 year olds are restricted from using the chat feature. You have to be 13.

You didn’t say that. You said “she’s 10 and can’t use the chat feature.” End of sentence. Didn’t say whether it was an app restriction specifically or what the age limit is. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, sasset said:

Grew up in San Fernando Valley. The little Mom and Pop market had a phone like this in a booth outside. We had a dial phone in the house but it was on a multiple party line, our ring was one long ring.

Our first house I remember in the 1950's was in Granada Hills in the valley and we also had the rotary phone with a multi party  line.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Surprisingly on my last cruise I saw they had them on sale in the gift shop.

Going back in times there use to be numerous threads of people complaining of how disturbing they found them when many people used them on ships. 

Very interesting!  Did they also carry cassette tapes, plastic disposable cameras, laser discs?😀

56 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

You can find the payphone in the Sky Lounge on E-Class ships.  

I'll look for it while waiting for the server to show up with snacks and drinks during the CC HH in the SL. 😁

Edited by davekathy
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, jwlane said:

Did I mention iPhone?  I said one can use the WiFi free---if one needs an internet based app, it costs.

Ok, let me be more direct then. You responded to my comment about needing a $$ plan to send and receive text messages to someone off the ship with your cryptic response implying that I was wrong. Does one, in fact, need a $$ plan to do this or not?

2 minutes ago, RichYak said:

cryptic response

Not at all.  WiFi and internet are 2 different things. Celebrity app (for on-ship messaging) uses wifi---free.  If one needs to message/surf/browse offboard (is that a word?), internet is required---$$$.

On 3/14/2023 at 5:52 AM, TeeRick said:

You can find the payphone in the Sky Lounge on E-Class ships.  

Great ! I will be bringing plenty of quarters.

I am thankful for this thread . Happy to hear we can communicate for free onboard.

1 hour ago, jwlane said:

Not at all.  WiFi and internet are 2 different things. Celebrity app (for on-ship messaging) uses wifi---free.  If one needs to message/surf/browse offboard (is that a word?), internet is required---$$$.

Ok thanks. I used the phrase "wifi package" which is exactly what Celebrity calls their $$ package. I called your response "cryptic" because for some reason you felt the need school me on the difference between wifi and the internet--leaving me unsure if my overall point was correct or incorrect. I see now "obtuse" would have been a more appropriate word to use.

• Like 1

Wow, people on this thread are touchy! 

Here is an idea: if someone says something you don't understand or thinks you said something incorrect, just pretend world survival is not at stake  Assume it is a musunderstanding and clarify, or ask for clarification, NICELY.

This back and forth sniping is the worst part of CC.

• Thanks 2

41 minutes ago, mayleeman said:

This back and forth sniping is the worst part of CC.

Reminds me very much of boys, mostly, in middle school.  You can almost always predict who will respond and how.  I am able to avoid a certain amount of it now since I finally remembered how to access the "ignore" function here.  👍

• Like 1

To all those hoping to use the App to Chat with your cabin mates, you need to be aware that there is a big difference between it and the messaging you are used to. There is no notification given when you receive a message on the app, no dings, no popups, nada! Only when you open the app and surface it can you see that someone has messaged you. This makes the feature pretty much useless as far as I'm concerned. All of us are used to getting immediate notifications when we get a text message on our phone. Not going to happen with the App.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, drowelf said:

To all those hoping to use the App to Chat with your cabin mates, you need to be aware that there is a big difference between it and the messaging you are used to. There is no notification given when you receive a message on the app, no dings, no popups, nada! Only when you open the app and surface it can you see that someone has messaged you. This makes the feature pretty much useless as far as I'm concerned. All of us are used to getting immediate notifications when we get a text message on our phone. Not going to happen with the App.

Not all of us text. 😉 And thank goodness everyone's phones aren't dinging all over the ship with "Where are you?" message notifications.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, drowelf said:

Android phone users do get notifications. 

1 hour ago, drowelf said:

This makes the feature pretty much useless as far as I'm concerned

The app works nicely if you can just agree to check hourly or something. Even so, planning on meeting at a certain time is what people did long before wifi. Before clocks, they had to go with "when big light in sky is overhead" or something! Cruising was more rudimentary then, of course.

Edited by mayleeman
  • Thanks 2

13 hours ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

Ok...so why is the 10 year old wandering around the ship by herself?

I never said she was. She had an adult with her. But if we wanted to meet up with the others in the party, that was the only way we could communicate. If we ever got separated, she couldn't use the app to let us know.

Edited by broadwaybaby123

48 minutes ago, broadwaybaby123 said:

I never said she was. She had an adult with her. But if we wanted to meet up with the others in the party, that was the only way we could communicate. If we ever got separated, she couldn't use the app to let us know.

Also, even though there's 3 adults with her, only one of us carries a phone while on the ship. Whoever is with my niece carries the walkie talkie.

I personally would not go on a vacation (or anywhere really) without at least basic wifi and my smart phone.  A few short years ago I would have never said this.  But now I find these things a basic part of my life.  Not optional and not an added luxury.  I am not judging at all but just stating that it is a sign of the times for me anyway.

• Like 3