Walkie talkies on cruise ship

JAN1

I don’t want to buy Wi-Fi on the Celebrity Solstice.  Can you use walkie talkies to keep in contact with someone on the ship?   Anyone recommend certain walkie talkies? I was going to order some on Amazon 

Janice 

Teach4Jan@aol.com

Jan1

I actually did download the celebrity app but didn’t think you can message someone on the ship using the app.  
All I want is to be able to message my husband and tell him where I am while on the ship.  Many times we do different activities and will be in different places.  
We are going on the Celebrity Solstice March 18th and only got an inside cabin 

Janice

Jan1

4 minutes ago, JAN1 said:

I actually did download the celebrity app but didn’t think you can message someone on the ship using the app.  
All I want is to be able to message my husband and tell him where I am while on the ship.

As stated by others, you may do these things on the ship with the app for no extra charge.

We also do it old school style and leave each other post-it notes if necessary.  Mostly we have some idea of where the other one is though.  We highlight the activities we want to do in the daily so we just use stickies if one of us departs from the expected plan.  

• Like 1

Many years ago, I saw a number of parties using walkies.  Problem was that all were on the same channel.  Chaos.  I have not seen them in a long time.

Use the FREE app feature which is more effective.  Or leave notes to each other or say "I will meet you at X at this time"

We used walkie talkies on my Royal cruise last month in case one of us got separated.  My niece was with us and is only 10 so she's not old enough for the chat feature on the app.  They worked great, however, you might have to switch channels from channel 1 or 2 to channel 20 or higher.  Many times we picked up radio frequencies from the crew channels.  

The problem with the app is you don’t get a notice that there is a message.   You have to keep checking it. 

We both have IPhones and watches.   We always have a problem with the delay.   

I found a way to solve the problem.   I just sit at one of 2 bars and she always knows where to find me. 

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

We have walkie talkies that we're too annoying and could be used with wired earphones. I bought them at either Target or Best Buy. I don't know where they are anymore ... we haven't used them in years.

We have also tried messaging on the app and we never get the messages because there isn't a notification so have gone back to the notes in the cabin thing. If all else fails, we agree to meet in the cabin around lunchtime, and then around 4 pm. It's also freeing to not feel like you have to carry your phone around!

• Like 1