Finding Ducks

51 minutes ago, doghog said:

That would be your WAG.

I don't duck hunt. If I saw one (not looking) I'd leave it. I don't concern myself with the workload of RC ship employees. 

I like your attitude about RCI staff workload. Unfortunately there are a lot of people on this site who complain about waiters being too slow, bartenders being too slow, cabin stewards only servicing their cabin once a day, etc., which is all directly related to RCI staff workload. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

I like your attitude about RCI staff workload. Unfortunately there are a lot of people on this site who complain about waiters being too slow, bartenders being too slow, cabin stewards only servicing their cabin once a day, etc., which is all directly related to RCI staff workload. 

Those performing those jobs aren't duck hunters. 

17 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

Or staff levels.  My friend going with us, said that on her last cruise a few months ago that they were short-handed 12 "chefs."   They were still using the excuse of We Can't Hire Enough People. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, HappyTexan44 said:

Or staff levels.  My friend going with us, said that on her last cruise a few months ago that they were short-handed 12 "chefs."   They were still using the excuse of We Can't Hire Enough People. 

That may be more reality than excuse. At some of the recent lunches with officers I have attended they have discussed how challenging it has been hiring staff since the restart. I don’t think RCI is deliberately short staffing their ships, there is just a lot of competition from other cruise lines. Plus you can’t hire just anyone to be a chef. 

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

That may be more reality than excuse. At some of the recent lunches with officers I have attended they have discussed how challenging it has been hiring staff since the restart. I don’t think RCI is deliberately short staffing their ships, there is just a lot of competition from other cruise lines. Plus you can’t hire just anyone to be a chef. 

If you do the training yourself, you can hire just anyone.  That was actually why I put chefs in quotes.  I don't have a problem with Royal providing the training for their 'chefs'.   You don't need that many real chefs but you do need a ton of people that can follow instructions. They also hire internationally.  So, either they aren't trying that hard to add staff, or they aren't paying enough (and therefore aren't trying that hard).  

• Like 1

23 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

No, it's related to Royal trying to save money by reducing staff. 🙄

On 3/12/2023 at 3:13 PM, Wilson said:

Correction:

2. Toss duck in trash

How about instead of throwing it in the trash...you just leave it for one of the many other cruisers who might appreciate the fun behind it!

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

On 1/25/2024 at 9:47 AM, HappyTexan44 said:

I don't have a problem with Royal providing the training for their 'chefs'.   

Agree.  Everyone doesn't need to be a "chef" to work in a kitchen.  One real chef can supervise half a dozen lackies, who can just chop vegetables or whatever.  

• 1 month later...

I thought I'd report the duck situation from our recent cruise.  I overheard several adults commenting with disappointment that there were fewer ducks on that cruise.  One lady on the elevator was showing off the neat duck that she'd found to her friend.  She brings one home from every cruise.  We hid a duck and it was found before the rooms opened.  On the last full day I was with my friend and her daughter in the library.   I noticed that a duck was really high on top of the highest books.   I moved it lower where a kid could find it, and it turns out that my friend's daughter had hid it.  Not five minutes later a mom and preschool boy came along and the boy was so happy.   The mom smiled at it us, since I'm sure she knew we'd hid it since we were paying such close attention.   Then the boy 'hid' one of his ducks in the same place. My friend's daughter snagged that one.  

• Like 1

Ahh the Duck Hunt is interesting.  I did not know much about it until we found several hiding on our Symphony cruise a few weeks ago.  A nice kid in the elevator explained it to me.  A source of fun for a number of cruisers.  It used to be find a dollar in a book in the library.  But most have been eliminated!

• Like 1

Royal Caribbean must not have any problem with the duck hiding that takes place on their ships.  I was on the Radiance the second week of February.  They were selling the little ducks in their gift shop.

• Like 1

On 3/12/2023 at 7:28 PM, DaKahuna said:

We had a young girl, dressed for formal night, on our last cruise that went wild when someone pointed out a duck hidden in the elevator we were on.  She was super excited. Her mom commented that the girl had spent a lot of her cruise finding ducks all over the ship!   

Our daughter and son (they were 4 and 1) loved it last time. Wanted to keep them all. But we made them hide some and still came home with 12! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Cruiser 5452 said:

Royal Caribbean must not have any problem with the duck hiding that takes place on their ships.  I was on the Radiance the second week of February.  They were selling the little ducks in their gift shop.

On the same note, they also sell towel clips to chair hogs in the gift shops. 

• Haha 4

On 3/1/2024 at 8:39 AM, TeeRick said:

Ahh the Duck Hunt is interesting.  I did not know much about it until we found several hiding on our Symphony cruise a few weeks ago.  A nice kid in the elevator explained it to me.  A source of fun for a number of cruisers.  It used to be find a dollar in a book in the library.  But most have been eliminated!

I found a lot on the Symphony too (unusually more than I have ever seen them), the week before you got on.  Just left them where they were. Lots of kids were hunting ducks and delighted to find them. Some duck people must be doing a B2B on our sailing!

On my most recent cruise, I noticed hidden ducks on a few occasions.  I pointed them out to kids and they were very happy.  I appreciated the joy they had in that moment.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, soremekun said:

On my most recent cruise, I noticed hidden ducks on a few occasions.  I pointed them out to kids and they were very happy.  I appreciated the joy they had in that moment.

I point out one or two, after that they’re hooked and willing to pay big cash for one. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1