Finding Ducks

1 hour ago, keishashadow said:

Hey, I resemble that remark.  🤨

It’s actually a given there, tshirts, pins & often pricey Dooney & Burke or coach mini back packs/crossbody bags to the left & right.  

In my mind, it equates to those whom wear player jerseys to sporting events…yeah, I wear them too as that sort of garb is both event appropriate and fun

Never heard of this practice on RCCL. Time to order some ducks. GD will

have a ball hiding some on our summer cruise as they have a tricked out jeep and she always shares when they are gifted with one

Disney apparel is not like wearing a team jersey.  Regardless, my point was ducks are cute for kids.  Disney princess dresses and mouse ears are cute on kids.  Team jerseys are cute on adults and kids.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jean87510 said:

Disney apparel is not like wearing a team jersey.  Regardless, my point was ducks are cute for kids.  Disney princess dresses and mouse ears are cute on kids.  Team jerseys are cute on adults and kids.  

I‘m not one to arbitrarily judge what’s cute for either kids and adults.  

I stand by Sport team fans are a part of a community, one that often wears jerseys with their favor players names

It’s exactly the same thing in the Disney parks, where many people are as loyal and fervent fans as you’d find at any athletic event…if not more die hard 

just as this forum is comprised of cruising fans, you will find many out there that focus on Disney & Universal parks.  

Regardless, it’s nice know there are multiple places for fans to mingle and exchange their thoughts in a respectful manner, even if they differ  🙂

• Like 1

• We took a b2b pre Covid with some friends, both of who were celebrating our 50th wedding anniversary. Back in the day when the roll call sections and FB was more active. Our wife's got into the duck thing and went so far as to puchase special theam ducks on line to hide. It was so much fun and adictive, started looking for ducks all the time as we walked around the ship and trying to find uniquie locations to hide the,. 
  • Fast forward to 2022 we were invited on a Covid two day shake out cruise on Radiance out of LA, about 500 passangers, mostly tour agents and frequent RCCL cruisers. Sitting at the Schonner Bar one afternoon and this person comes up and tell the bartender they found a duck. Bartender did not undersand so I explained it to him, since we were the first passengers on the ship in two years I wondered if it was a new duck, or a really well hidden duck from pre Covid.
  • Its a great time and all ages can get involved. 
  • Like 3

22 hours ago, jean87510 said:

My wife looked very cute in her ears when we went to Disney World with my youngest daughter and her family. The grandkids liked gramma's ears.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, nasa1974 said:

My wife looked very cute in her ears when we went to Disney World with my youngest daughter and her family. The grandkids liked gramma's ears.

My daughter loved that I wore ears too.   She is 12, so starting to worry about not being too childish sometimes.   But, if mommy proudly does it too, then it isn't childish.  

I'd made her Baby Yoda ears that got lots of positive attention.  
I just had ordinary puffy fabric circles.   

Edited by HappyTexan44
  • Like 1

I'm no longer a Disney fan but I was big time, at one time. My father was very instrumental in the design and construction of the first golf course.  I used to enjoy seeing the newlywed brides that got married at one of the Disney Hotels wearing the ears around the park(s).  So cute!  My wife and I spent our honeymoon at Disney when the only hotel was the Contemporary and the Monorail only went around in a circle from the Contemporary to the Magic Kindom.  

• Like 3

On 3/28/2023 at 7:47 AM, Joseph2017China said:

Sounds like a little kids game, not for adults.  I bet most are thrown out if found by staff.  I can't imagine an adult, hiding 25 ducks on a ship, for other adults to find but I do wish they would hide cans of beer, and that would be a win!

I spoke to several staff members who collect them or rehide them where they'll be easier for kids to find.

If you don't care for the fad....walk on by

Edited by STEVE-O
typo
  • Like 4

I just found one yesterday.  I picked it up, took it to another deck and hid it.  Later I looked and it was gone. It just took a few seconds of time and I guess somebody else was excited to find it.  The duck was pretty cute.  Somebody worked hard to put a very nice tag on it.

• Like 4

My kids LOVE looking for ducks, and on our most recent cruise we hid many of them around the ship. They enjoyed staring from a distance and watching other people discover them. Many other kids also jumped in excitement when finding them. What's the harm in bringing happiness to people? We plan to do the same in a couple of weeks. Can't believe the a-holes that commented they immediately throw them in the trash. Same people that likely b**** about food, chairs, service, tipping, kids, etc. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, STEVE-O said:

I spoke to several staff members who collect them or rehide them where they'll be easier for kids to find.

If you don't care for the fad....walk on by

Sorry, a staff member will never tell you they throw them out.  Staff members are trained only to say happy, and positive statements.  But I consider it like a child's game, like an Easter Egg hunt, but I just don't understand the adults that get into this.  Like why would an adult pick it up in the first place.  Unless money was hid inside or something like it.  I do walk by, once I discovered it did not contain candy.

On 3/24/2023 at 6:42 PM, ReneeFLL said:

What about adults that wear mouse ears elsewhere and not just Disneyland? What's up with that?

I think this is a family friendly website. I'm not sure I could answer that question on these boards.....

We are at Coco Cay today on Freedom.  I brought along a duck I found on the Regal Princess in January. We sat next to a family of five - Dad, Mom, another woman their age, and two kids ages 4-8. While they were briefly away from the area, we hid the duck in their umbrella.  The other woman found it, showed it to the Mom, and put it into her bag.  So much for surprising and pleasing little kids. But someone was happy to find the duck!

3 hours ago, Joseph2017China said:

Like why would an adult pick it up in the first place.  Unless money was hid inside or something like it.

Because hiding them is fun. We never keep them, just re-hide them.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Joseph2017China said:

Sorry, a staff member will never tell you they throw them out.  Staff members are trained only to say happy, and positive statements.

Correct,  and we have seen several staff with trash bags full of ducks that were being disposed of.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, crazyank said:

Correct,  and we have seen several staff with trash bags full of ducks that were being disposed of.

Hard to believe.

You saw multiple staff with multiple bags full of ducks?   You knew they were headed for the garbage?  Do you have pictures?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

59 minutes ago, yogimax said:

Hard to believe.

You saw multiple staff with multiple bags full of ducks?   You knew they were headed for the garbage?  Do you have pictures?

There are staff members that actually go around, and clean.  When they see litter hiding behind a chair or in a planter, they pick it out.  At some point, it went from a few ducks random to people littering with bags of ducks around some ships.  I'm not against some little kids games but it is litter for the staff, that needs to clean.  As an adult, I can't imagine seeing a duck in my umbrella, or in my towel, or bag, and thinking its really cool that someone tossed a duck in it.  Even if they have kids, they give it to them, and say oh wow, a duck.  Just look at this thread on how defensive people are getting, and everyone posting are adults and not kids.  If anyone posts a negative comment, like I am, I bet I will get at least 3 to 5 replies back not so nice to me.  Like if a staff is carrying a bag of trash (ducks in it) where do you think it's going?  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, yogimax said:

Hard to believe.

Really don't care if you believe it or not.  And why would we take a picture of staff carrying bags of trash?

15 hours ago, Joseph2017China said:

There are staff members that actually go around, and clean.  When they see litter hiding behind a chair or in a planter, they pick it out.  At some point, it went from a few ducks random to people littering with bags of ducks around some ships. 

Yep,  totally agree

• 9 months later...

To anyone that believe that Royal Caribbean secretly hates ducks. (Looking a you @crazyank)

Disney recently said they don't want people hiding ducks on their ships. In response to people being concerned about Carnival banning it, Brand Ambassador John Heard wrote on FB: 

"I am surprised that the beards at Disney have banned the ducks? I didn’t know that, I am wonder if Donald had something to say about that," he joked.

"The answer is no, we are not going to ban the hiding of ducks. I know this is not for everyone but I also they are not 'disease riddled' and I also know it gives so many people joy so why would we stop the spreading of joy?" he added.

The article also said:

Royal Caribbean also allows passengers to hide ducks as long as they are in public areas. A spokesperson for the cruise line was unaware of Disney's change and did not provide a comment in response to TheStreet's request. 

https://www.thestreet.com/travel/royal-caribbean-carnival-all-in-popular-onboard-tradition-banned-by-disney

Which to be honest, isn't the most definitive statement, however..

Also, in a recent Trev & Chels video from the President's cruise, RC enlisted them to help give away an Icon cruise... by hiding a special duck and waiting for someone to find it.

This is the first I was aware of this-it's kinda silly, but shouldn't vacation have a little silly? (can you say towel animals?) As long as people aren't breaking into your room & filling it w/ducks, who is it hurting? It sounds like the people hiding them are having fun with it (fun is GOOD) but if you don't want to, you don't have to-it's YOUR vacation-enjoy it your way!

• Like 3