mispelled name

ruddell39

My husband and I are going on a carnival cruise. this is our first cruise and he just noticed his name is spelled wrong our last name is Seabury and on hi BC it's spelled Seeberry. we're trying so hard to get it changed but we are told that it could take six months to a year. All his other ID is spelled correctly. Will Carnival make any exceptions?

11 minutes ago, ruddell39 said:

My husband and I are going on a carnival cruise. this is our first cruise and he just noticed his name is spelled wrong our last name is Seabury and on hi BC it's spelled Seeberry. we're trying so hard to get it changed but we are told that it could take six months to a year. All his other ID is spelled correctly. Will Carnival make any exceptions?

Welcome to CruiseCritic!

First, for privacy on a public website like this, you might want to ask the moderators to delete your actual name (unless you didn't use your real name in the example).

It might still be possible to edit your post, but that limited time may have passed already.

But 6-12 months for a name change!?  Where did you hear that?

Did Carnival tell you that when you tried to get the spelling corrected?

Asking about this on the Carnival Cruise Line section of CC would be best.

But unless it was Carnival (the company) who told you that, they are the ones to contact, or better, your travel agent if you used one.

What does "trying so hard to get it changed" actually mean?

GC

• Like 1

9 hours ago, GeezerCouple said:

Welcome to CruiseCritic!

But 6-12 months for a name change!?  Where did you hear that?

Did Carnival tell you that when you tried to get the spelling corrected?

I think the OP is saying that the name is spelled incorrectly on the birth certificate, not on Carnival cruise documents.

• Like 1

I do check-in for Alaska cruises at Pier 91.  My best guess is if all his other ID, driver's license, credit cards, SS card, household bills are all under the current form of the name, then (assuming that it is even noticed), it may go to a supervisor, and possibly the ship's documentation officer, who most likely will approve it. 

This also assumes that the first and middle name, as well as the birth date also match exactly with the gov't issued photo ID (usually a driver's license).  I would encourage you to have him bring other examples of the current spelling like utility bills, mortgage statement, SS card, voter registration card - not all of these of course, but enough to 'prove your case' if needed.

Wishing you all the best!

16 hours ago, ruddell39 said:

What does his passport say?

13 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

If he had a passport, this would have been noticed and corrected long ago.  EM

By whom? When we applied for passports I (embarrassingly) misspelled DW's middle name on the application, Ann instead of Anne. It was spelled correctly on her naturalization certificate, but the passport folks still used the spelling that I put on the application. So I wouldn't expect that the processor at State would necessarily notice the difference between the birth certificate and the application. (To their credit they processed the correction at no charge.) 

OP, I agree with @Ferry_Watcher, this likely won't be noticed at all at check-in. (And I will preemptively say that it's not likely to be noticed by CBP at the end of the cruise, either.) They are processing thousands of passengers is a short period of time and they aren't looking for typos. Certainly do try to get it fixed but don't lose any sleep over it either.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

By whom? When we applied for passports I (embarrassingly) misspelled DW's middle name on the application, Ann instead of Anne. It was spelled correctly on her naturalization certificate, but the passport folks still used the spelling that I put on the application. So I wouldn't expect that the processor at State would necessarily notice the difference between the birth certificate and the application. (To their credit they processed the correction at no charge.) 

OP, I agree with @Ferry_Watcher, this likely won't be noticed at all at check-in. (And I will preemptively say that it's not likely to be noticed by CBP at the end of the cruise, either.) They are processing thousands of passengers is a short period of time and they aren't looking for typos. Certainly do try to get it fixed but don't lose any sleep over it either.

It looks like the OP could therefore apply for a passport with the spelling that matches all other documentation, thus removing the issue when it came to travelling.

On 3/12/2023 at 11:50 PM, ruddell39 said:

I thought whatever was on your birth certificate was truth written in concrete, even if it's not what you use everyday.  At the high school where I teach, all our diplomas are printed with the name on the student's birth certificate -- and a number of them go by totally different names.  Your husband's name might just be Seeberry.  

Off topic, but that's a nice name.  

6 hours ago, fruitmachine said:

It looks like the OP could therefore apply for a passport with the spelling that matches all other documentation, thus removing the issue when it came to travelling.

If he applies for a passport, he will have to submit his birth certificate.  The passport would be created with the same name as the birth certificate.

12 minutes ago, Mum2Mercury said:

If he applies for a passport, he will have to submit his birth certificate.  The passport would be created with the same name as the birth certificate.

Read up the thread to #8

.  That has already been refuted.

• Like 1

On 3/13/2023 at 3:10 PM, Essiesmom said:

If he had a passport, this would have been noticed and corrected long ago.  EM

My husband's (fictitious for this story) name on his birth certificate is John Henry Doe. When he was born, his older brothers persuaded his parents to call him by his middle name. I guess New Mexico wasn't that concerned about his birth certificate name 60 years ago when he applied for his driver's license because it was issued  under Henry J. Doe. ALL his subsequent legal and other documents are under Henry J. Doe. Now that he had to apply for a Real ID, he has the choice of petitioning for a name change and a new BC or changing every single document in his life to the name on the BC. He's had a passport for 15 years, so it won't necessarily be noticed and corrected. 

1 hour ago, mammajamma2013 said:

Now that he had to apply for a Real ID, he has the choice of petitioning for a name change and a new BC or changing every single document in his life to the name on the BC. He's had a passport for 15 years, so it won't necessarily be noticed and corrected. 

Wow, what a headache. 

1 minute ago, Shmoo here said:

But, that's what the Real ID system was set up for.  To clear up mis-matched names and confirm that the person identified is, indeed, a US citizen.

The way I read the Op's post was that the passport also was in the commonly used variation of his name, not the true legal name from the birth certificate.  

46 minutes ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

The way I read the Op's post was that the passport also was in the commonly used variation of his name, not the true legal name from the birth certificate.  

I was referring to the Smart ID driver's license remark by Ferry-Watcher regarding Mammajamma's remark about her husband needing to align the proper name spelling for his Smart ID.

15 hours ago, Shmoo here said:

But, that's what the Real ID system was set up for.  To clear up mis-matched names and confirm that the person identified is, indeed, a US citizen.

Nope, you don't have to be a US citizen to have a Real ID, you only need to be in the country legally. The system was set up to make ID's in general more secure and harder to counterfeit. 

18 hours ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

Wow, what a headache. 

It really was. The worst part (in my opinion) was deciding whether he wanted to legally keep his original Hispanic name or to Anglicize it for (a small measure of) convenience. But that's another topic entirely. 🙂

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

I think he doesn't have a passport, and was hoping to travel on a closed loop cruise with birth certificate + photo ID.

If he had a passport, then nobody (whether cruise company or government official) would see his BC with the wrong spelling.