The Fleet Report and Daily for Friday March 17th, 2023

StLouisCruisers

St Patrick's Day

Today is Corned Beef and Cabbage Day, Submarine Day, and Camp Fire Girls Day

Do not let a flattering woman coax and wheedle you and deceive you; she is after your barn. -- Hesiod

Meal Suggestion for today - Butter-Roasted Halibut with Asparagus and Olives
Drink of the Day - Cubbie Blue
Wine of the Day - Villa Maria Cabernet Sauvignon Hawkes Bay Ngakirikiri Gimblett Gravels 2020
Destination of the Day - Kobe-Osaka, Kyoto, Japan

Eurodam

Oranjestad Aruba, Netherlands Antilles 08:00 - 23:00

Koningsdam

At Sea Destination San Diego, California eta 3-25

Nieuw Amsterdam

At Sea Destination Fort Lauderdale Port Everglades eta 3-19

Nieuw Statendam

Half Moon Cay, Bahamas 07:00 - 15:00

Oosterdam

Ushuaia, Argentina 08:00 - 17:00

Rotterdam

At Sea Destination Fort Lauderdale Port Everglades eta 3-18

Volendam

At Sea Destination Fort Lauderdale Port Everglades eta 3-18

Zaandam

At Sea Destination San Diego, California eta 3-18

Zuiderdam

Luderitz, Namibia 07:00 - 17:00

Eastern Hemisphere

Noordam

Dunedin, Port Chalmers, New Zealand 08:00 - 18:00

Westerdam

Kochi City, Japan Kochi 08:00 - 17:00

image.thumb.png.5be5a5006003251473a3b414a7c567a8.png

image.thumb.png.0c0a7011521b164162a6e533aa5c3839.png

Sandi for Rich and Roy

• Like 20
  • Thanks 11

Good Morning, thank you for the daily fleet report.  I made cabbage on Wednesday and I’ll pass on today’s meal suggestion.  Instead we will have ham for dinner.  Received disappointing news overnight on our May cruise. HAL cancelled our stop at Saint John and replaced it with a stop at Eastport, Maine.  That makes three ports in Maine on a seven day cruise.  I’m hoping that the same thing doesn’t happen for the same itinerary in July.  I hope everyone has a good day today.

image.png.539aadd657e0c471fe1921935a034217.png

• Like 22
  • Haha 5

Good morning friends!  Happy St. Patrick's Day!  For weather here today we are sitting at 52F with rain on the horizon and a high of around 65.  I'm staying put today.  Tomorrow will be a nice day and we can go out without fear of getting drenched.  My weather app says the air is very unhealthy here for some reason and I wonder if it's just because the atmosphere is gearing up for heavy rain?  

Anyway thanks to our friend Rich @richwmnfor setting it up so that we can still enjoy the Daily and Fleet Report for us while he cruises the world.  Today we celebrate Corned Beef and Cabbage Day.  How many are planning on dining on that dish, or did already?  My twin prepared it for dinner last night due to today being a Friday in Lent.  In addition we are celebrating Submarine Day.  The sandwich or the amphibious mode of transportation?  And finally Camp Fire Girls Day.  Some of you may have been one.  I was a Brownie.  Love today's quote!  The dish today is halibut and I'm not a huge fan of fish.  Only when necessary but I bet Debbie @dfishcan make it look and taste good.  The drink I've never heard of.  The Cabernet Sauvignon must be good and I should recommend it to my red wine drinking DH.  Thanks to the Food and Beverage ladies for their input today.  

Our port today is Kobe-Osaka (Kyoto), Japan.  I have never been there but the Westerdam has been sailing around Japan lately and has been there.  The first time we had Kobe was on Aug. 25, 2022.  It was plain old Kobe, Japan then but is much more descriptive nowadays  🙂  Some of you have probably been there so here is a link to last August 25 so you can retrieve your photos.

Prayers are being said for all on our Care list.  There are quite a few of us in need so I hope things improve soon for everyone. 🙏 DB received his precious medication yesterday for pulmonary fibrosis and was ready to begin taking it.  Praise for the generous pharmaceutical company foundation that provides this very expensive medication to him!  It could extend his life considerably.  🙏 🤗  Then we have the other lucky people on the Celebration list!  Have a wonderful cruise to those sailing soon.  And for all others with happy news we say three cheers to you!🥂🎉  Special thanks to Vanessa @JazzyV for taking the time to prepare it each day for Roy @rafinmd.  Roy, hope you are well soon and can continue your important job here.

For everyone here a bit of St. Patrick's Day cheer for you from DD's March Celebration tree. 00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIVgHWW7kh-2XpmyLZ1U2ibUnDnu4gHHWpfyYq5WwzmNg?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1677407498

I'm off to the treadmill to walk my miles and listen to all the bad news.  Maybe we'll be lucky today and hear something cheerful and wonderful.  Have a Fantastic Friday all!🍀

• Like 29

Today’s care list:

Roy recovering from pneumonia

Volendam entertainer Devon Campbell who passed away

Durangoscots recovering from the crud

Cruzin Terri’s stress load and her DH with a fall

Citizens of Ukraine

From the rotation:

Cruising sister recovering from hand surgery

Tana’s pulmonary issues 

StLouisCruiser’s DB with pulmonary fibrosis

Scrapnana getting chemotherapy

Celebrations and Shout outs:

Bon Voyage RedneckBob!

RMLincoln and DH feeling better

Luvteaching’s DH discharged to home

Smitty34877’s new aide for Tana

Many Dailyites planning cruises

1 Day for DWAliaschief’s sisters cruise (Rotterdam 3/18 to3/29)

1 Day for Seagarsmoker (N Statendam 3/18 to 3/25)

4 Days for Kplady (Grand Princess 3/21 to 4/28)

ottahand7 and Lindaler (Volendam to 3/18), Suslor (Zaandam to 3/18), Lady Hudson (Anthem of the Seas 3/19), Seasick Sailor and 57redbird (Koningsdam to 3/25), RedneckBob (Celebrity Constellation to 3/27), Norseh2o (Oceania Marina to 4/6), and Cat in My Lap, Gail&Marty, Richwmn and HorizonChaser1957 (Zuiderdam to 5/12) at sea

• Like 21
  • Thanks 9

Good morning.

It is sunny and 48°F here at 10.20am in North East England.

Thank you Sandi @StLouisCruisers for today's St Patrick's Day reports.

I last ate corned beef when I was 8 years old but corned beef and cabbage was a staple food for Irish immigrants coming into the US many years ago.

Humorous quote.

Today's food sounds interesting.

Prayers 🙏 and good wishes to all who are unwell.

Graham.

Screenshot_20230317_101521.jpg

• Like 23
  • Thanks 4

No corned beef and cabbage here, but maybe shepherd's pie. I lived for several years in eastern Connecticut and knew submariners from the New London Submarine Base, which is not in New London at all; I officiated once at a wedding in the officers' club on the base. I mentioned recently that my mother had been a Camp Fire Girl.

The halibut would be fine with me and the wine might be. I think that the cocktail is named for the Chicago Cubs. My one attempt to visit Japan didn't take place; the itinerary wouldn't have included Kobe or Osaka.

I'm not usually up at this hour and I don't want to be--I woke at 4:35 a.m. and couldn't get back to sleep.

snakes.thumb.jpg.ca657eff44878d01037600c5f2fad049.jpg

notIrish.jpg.6a1d149ea3fbe72d382dbff55d6bfc25.jpg

• Like 22
  • Haha 8

Good morning.  Happy St Patrick's Day!  Thank you for the Daily and Fleet Report.

It's raining here.  That may put a damper on some outdoor festivities.  St Patrick's Day is an excuse for university students to have block parties in university cities in Ontario.

I think I'll pass on corned beef and cabbage for dinner tonight.  A big salute to submariners.  I wasn't a Camp Fire Girl.

Amusing quote, and could be true.😉

The meal suggestion sounds pretty good, looking forward to seeing the recipe.

I'm not sure about the drink and hope I'll like the wine.

Thanks for the pictures of today's port, I have not been there.

Prayers for many.

Stay safe.

• Like 23

Happy St. Patricks Day.  Thank you Rich, Sandi, Vanessa, Ann, Debbie, and Dixie.

My brother was an officer on an nuclear submarine and I had a few holiday dinners in USS Haddo's officers dining space.  I'll salute the Camp Fire Girls but pass on both Corned Beef and Halibut.  The quote struck me as a bit strange.  I know I've been to Kobe but a bit hazy on just when.  I'm a bit hazy on the location too because I think Kobe and Osaka have separate ports.

I slept pretty decently last night.  Pretty warm but rain coming today so I hope to be back from Wegmans before it starts.

Roy

• Like 28

Happy St. Patrick’s Day everyone.  Enjoy your corned beef and cabbage.  I have claustrophobia so submarines don’t interest me. A nod to all camp fire girls. Not sure that I agree with the quote.  The meal suggestion sounds very nice.  Prayers for all on our list today. Cheers to all of you celebrating happy events and to those drinking green beer 🍺! ☘️

• Like 21

Good morning. Moi the shuttle driver is back from the airport and now I’m the Head Chef and bottle washer. I know she will have a great time with her dear sisters but does seem rather odd not going on a cruise with her. We had our corn beef and cabbage earlier this week.

We are currently 68 degrees which will rise to high seventies with a good chance of rain and storms later in the day. Forecast states we will have more cool weather next week.

Not sure how we got a fish recipe on Corned Beef  and Cabbage Day?

Received my new prescription glasses yesterday and the world appears sharper and clearer. My prescription changed quite a bit over the last year.

Not sure what’s on the agenda today but will enjoy my coffee and morning reading, crossword and The Daily. I’ll be calling my three year old grand daughter who turns three years old today.

Have a great day and enjoy your St. Patrick’s Day. 

Bruce

image.jpeg.3ed1805491ff572cc79047feab7d9c70.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.832b119d6c59ab771061b74a6bdf275a.jpegimage.jpeg.20353e44c825a1cc5ab4c154bdfd34ff.jpegimage.jpeg.4c3de6784b30a86749b469dde2b3d173.jpegimage.jpeg.27eaeda4a7244fb1cb76c01f3db0b7b2.jpeg

• Like 10
  • Haha 18

Thanks for of our TGIF and St. Patrick’s day Daily, Sandi.

F602F7F2-BAF3-4FB9-A1F2-6753BBFA8F34.jpeg.0ebf6547e2294a8dac1912c8484c6817.jpeg

I love corned beef & cabbage - only have a bit of corned beef so that will have to suffice, I guess.  Not a fan of the Hesiod quote.  We were supposed to visit Kobe but alas, that cruise, like many others was cancelled.

BA8CBA06-E02B-48AB-96D6-4A2FB2C3B4E6.jpeg.5ae26c51c372045639988a064b1fea74.jpeg

I decided it was time to have something nice in my life, so I let myself be ‘lured’ to book a cruise next year - 25 day Med Romance & Spanish Farewell - Oct. 20/24.  I got a very nice surprise when I did it.  A $400 OBC.  Turns out it came out recently so qualifies for that Mariner’s deal until March 31st.  Sweet!  Anyone want to come? 

2C5821FE-EF15-4BBE-A324-E6991B957BE6.jpeg.ae24b9128e787205ba1477b1401c166e.jpeg

Things are starting to dry up here with above freezing temps today 👍 Of course, that changes tonight / tomorrow when another storm moves in - not a serious one though 🤞 

AE15B7FC-DA3F-4319-864C-59DC577BEA22.jpeg.5c1eb30cd1838319491b1d15241026e7.jpeg

Jake @Crazy For CatsI was sorry to hear that another port was changed on you and you won’t be coming to Saint John 😔 

AB8201CC-CE07-43B7-A022-229A5B5C29E4.jpeg.aa220370c48fe6b2de2f1614f46eae25.jpeg

Ok, can you tell there’s some Irish in me?  LOL

BC776101-3329-4C79-B2A8-F70E6D76C902.jpeg.41ac2e813fc26134f73bcad42045749c.jpeg

Prayers for everyone on the Care list & for those that need them and a toast 🥂 to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

B4FFADAC-3224-404A-BD0F-711259C280C9.jpeg.db31609cc0375ed6575bb3fb9e45d297.jpeg

Have a great Friday and St. Patrick’s Day everyone !!!!!

• Like 33
  • Haha 2

Sandi thank you for staying us off! Rich, thank you for making sure we still had a place to gather while you cruise, though I protest today’s quote heartedly. 

It was 10 degrees warmer this morning - that’s more like it! The sky was just getting a tint of color when Bindi and I returned from our walk. It is supposed to get up 8n the 80s today!

Vanessa, thank you for sharing our Cares & Celebrations. Just one class at the gym this morning, then Bindi & Emma walks, more tax prep and then some prep for tomorrow- having some friends over for dinner. That should keep me busy. 

Boy, there are some mornings I know I resemble this look!

FAFD418B-AE02-49A6-8ED7-1E98C7F8D8CD.jpeg.d09c751a8282847963808729132c8aa9.jpeg

5B632A2D-5922-4C1E-A735-6095A2E4F75A.jpeg.917b7845ffb47afa37b9d49a033cc78e.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Get well & stay well everyone!

Villa Maria Cabernet Sauvignon Hawkes Bay Ngakirikiri Gimblett Gravels 2020

Imagine having to list this wine on a wine list! Or ordering a glass of it! I hope it has a nickname. But since it is out of my budget range, I probably do not need to worry. I found no info on the 2020 vintage- not even on the Winemaker’s site. Lucky all released vintages have excellent - superb reviews. I used the 2019 vintage info. A few online distributors, none in North America. Prices for the 2019 vintage start at 

$81.38 + shipping!

Winemaker notes 

Our icon wine Ngakirikiri is a presentation of the very best of Villa Maria’s holdings in the Gimblett Gravels appellation. Produced in only the most exceptional vintages with painstaking attention to detail, it is a highly aspirational project and arguably the most comprehensive and focused wine Villa Maria has ever produced.

‘Ngakirikiri’ in Māori, refers to the unique gravel soils that define the Hawkes Bay, Gimblett Gravels growing appellation, a befitting name for this stony Hawkes Bay vineyard sited on what was an ancient riverbed. The Gimblett Gravels sub-region is a majestic site with a reputation for beautiful and thought-provoking wines.

Tasting Notes

Upon pouring, this deep ruby coloured wine yields notably intense and pure aromatics of cassis, complex wood spices and floral violet scents, with fragrant dried thyme, graphite and clove nuances also vying for attention.

Layers of concentrated flavours are revealed across a medium to full bodied frame, with optimally ripe fruit and hints of black olive and cigar, all wrapped by fine-grained tannins and supportive oak, enhancing texture and richness from start to finish. This age-worthy and age-worthy wine will benefit and gain additional complexity from careful cellaring over the next 15-20 years.

• Like 24
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 4

Happy St Patrick’s Day to  all of you. I met my two bag piper neighbors as they were leaving for the NYC parade. They were so glad to be expecting a regular crowd, “like before times”. It might rain a little on them but they were up for it.

I went inside a submarine in my youth in New London Connecticut and  realized I was claustrophobic. Corned beef is never on the menu here. The quote is annoying and we have not been to the port.

Thank you to all who post the meme’s .I need a good laugh today!

• Like 28

A quick good morning, and HAPPY ST. PATRICK'S DAY before I run some errands.

Osaka was the port of the day at least once on February 1, 2022.  You can go to Kyoto from there.  I think you can also go to Kobe from Osaka.  Here is the link to Rich's @richwmn post.

Lenda

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
  • Like 22
  • Thanks 3

Top of the mornin' to you all!   

We are starting the day with rain, but that will end shortly.  Then the temps start dropping.  Tomorrow will be cold and then we start warming up again.  After Saturday we'll stay in the high 40s and low 50s for the rest of the month.  I'll take that!  

Last night I woke up because a light had come on.  I got up to investigate, thinking I may have left a light on, but noticed it was the front porch light which is on a motion detector.  I looked out the living room windows and saw a big, black, hairy thing slinking away.  It wasn't in view long enough to figure out what it was.  I felt good it wasn't a person casing the place.  Other than that, I slept quite good last night.  I've been waking up because of knee and ankle aches, but decided that was probably coming from my back, so I used a lidocaine patch on my back last night.  Worked like a charm. Nothing much on the agenda today except a scan of my neck and, hopefully, my shy parathyroid glands.  They generally hide behind my thyroid.  After that, Farkle Friday!

Today's meal is a good one.  I love halibut, but it sure is expensive.  When Sue and I did Alaska in September 2021 we had halibut fish and chips at Icy Strait Point.  I only found one recipe that was exactly according to title, but the variations are close enough.  This first recipe looks easy enough and the seasonings are simple, but good.  https://www.flyers-on-line.com/recipes/butter-roasted-halibut-with-asparagus-and-olives-5500

halibutwithasparagus1.thumb.jpg.d2006c97a8cba9781e52c645cb62be37.jpg

This next one is missing the olives, but if you want them, they can be added.  It is a one pan meal so minimal cleanup required.  That is my kind of dinner!  https://juliasalbum.com/baked-halibut-and-asparagus/

halibutandasparagus2.thumb.jpg.dda3a3ac180b1320707539ac4cef9780.jpg

This next recipe doesn't have the olives, but the tomato lime butter sounds good to me!   https://www.pccmarkets.com/recipe/one-pan-roasted-asparagus-and-halibut-with-tomato-lime-butter/

halibutandasparagus3.thumb.jpg.2c040947843ca94d36dd302b926a2666.jpg

The last recipe has an olive/caper topping that is made with orange and lime juice.  That sounds interesting to me.  https://lakegenevacountrymeats.com/recipes/halibut-with-asparagus-and-olive-caper-sauce

halibutandasparagus4.thumb.jpg.83eaf0aab4a95dc4f8942fe93ca11488.jpg

I would have a hard time choosing one of these as they all sound good to me.  

Wishing you all a wonderful day.

• Like 21
  • Thanks 12

Top O’ the Mornin’ to all!  🍀☘️🌈 Happy St Patrick’s Day!  
And Thank You to all the Submariners for your service. 

Cheers to all celebrating 🍻

Blessings to all in need of healing, comfort or hope!  
Bon Voyage to the cruisers. I hope the flight “through St Patrick’s Day” to NZ and Melbourne was comfortable and the cruise is a delight. 

Today we begin on taxes. But every day is a good day to be happy. 

Maureen 

• Like 28
  • Haha 1

Good morning,

A cold morning here new had a light dusting of snow overnight after the rain. I will wait to venture out. I am sure there is ice hiding under that snow. 

I do not like corned beef and cabbage. My mother loved it and made it every year. Here is a pick of the grands. DGS put his shirt on backwards so he could see the printing. 

640BE4FF-DBB1-4016-906A-BC9F03020C2C.jpeg

• Like 33