Paying with echeck

epena

I am planning on booking my first cruise with Viking River Cruises and I am curious about the payment service offered called echeck.  I've read that it's better to pay with a credit card for multiple reasons but I was wondering if you can pay with echeck and then purchase travel insurance to get reimbursed if anything goes wrong. 

1 hour ago, epena said:

I am planning on booking my first cruise with Viking River Cruises and I am curious about the payment service offered called echeck.  I've read that it's better to pay with a credit card for multiple reasons but I was wondering if you can pay with echeck and then purchase travel insurance to get reimbursed if anything goes wrong. 

In general, my guess is that the protection of using a good charge card will not be entirely covered by travel insurance, which usually has very specific convered conditions.

Why would you not want to use a charge card?

GC

1 hour ago, GeezerCouple said:

In general, my guess is that the protection of using a good charge card will not be entirely covered by travel insurance, which usually has very specific convered conditions.

Why would you not want to use a charge card?

GC

I believe Viking offers a discount if they get your cash rather than your CC

Not sure if you would have any recourse should things go pear shaped with Viking

I've not booked a cruise with it but have used echeck for multiple things. You just give them your routing number and account number and they take the money directly from your bank account. You aren't likely to need to charge back a cruise so not sure if that should be much of a consideration. However, it comes down to how big the discount is for cash balanced against how good your credit cards are. Some credit cards off good rewards and some travel protection that could outweigh your savings. 

27 minutes ago, sanger727 said:

I've not booked a cruise with it but have used echeck for multiple things. You just give them your routing number and account number and they take the money directly from your bank account. You aren't likely to need to charge back a cruise so not sure if that should be much of a consideration. However, it comes down to how big the discount is for cash balanced against how good your credit cards are. Some credit cards off good rewards and some travel protection that could outweigh your savings. 

IF you want to pay with a check, to get some discount vs. using a charge card, you can't just *send* them a check?  You need to allow them to pull the money from your account?

Our bank, if we use the online banking, the check that is sent does *not* include any of our personal account number/information.

(And we vary rarely give a "personal check" of the type that is pre-printed with the account/routing number/etc., these days.  Very rare need for that, with the online payments.)

GC

I was hoping to take advantage of the discount paying with e check then purchase travel insurance with supplier default coverage so I could be reimbursed if anything went wrong rather than having the purchase covered if I use my credit card. I had planned on getting outside insurance anyway and figured this would be a bonus. 

you can pay by echeck and buy insurance separately.  There are lots of policies available, so read the terms carefully.  I use insuremytrip.com

Edit:  There is an insurance forum here on cruisecritic.  You might get more/better answers there.

Edited by The Other Tom

2 hours ago, epena said:

I was hoping to take advantage of the discount paying with e check then purchase travel insurance with supplier default coverage so I could be reimbursed if anything went wrong rather than having the purchase covered if I use my credit card. I had planned on getting outside insurance anyway and figured this would be a bonus. 

Read the Terms or the insurance policy to make sure  you are covered

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GeezerCouple said:

IF you want to pay with a check, to get some discount vs. using a charge card, you can't just *send* them a check?  You need to allow them to pull the money from your account?

Our bank, if we use the online banking, the check that is sent does *not* include any of our personal account number/information.

(And we vary rarely give a "personal check" of the type that is pre-printed with the account/routing number/etc., these days.  Very rare need for that, with the online payments.)

GC

You have to pay by echeck ( aka electronic funds transfer) in order to receive the 3.3% discount from Viking.

2 hours ago, epena said:

Credit Card v's eTransfer - From a purely financial perspective, Viking offer 3.3% discount if you use the eTransfer. This initially seems to be a significant saving over using a credit card. However, you need to compare the 3.3% eTransfer savings with any benefits you receive from your credit card. When I did the comparison, although the credit card rewards are < 3%, when I receive credit card points, then convert them to airline miles, when they offer a premium, I can make significantly more savings on flights by using the credit card. To quantify, the eTransfer savings on a World Cruise didn't provide sufficient cash for a single first/business flight to Europe, but using my credit card, then converting points to airlines miles, I received sufficient points for 2 r/t first/business flights to Europe.

Obviously this is based on your needs and credit card terms.

Credit Card insurance - you need to carefully read the terms & conditions of your credit card regarding what reasons are eligible for disputing a charge and if your card carries any trip interruption/medical insurance, and what are the max coverage and exclusions. Similar process for understanding what is covered and not covered with 3rd party insurance.

With insurance, every policy is great value until you make a claim. it also pays to know the claim reporting procedure and time lines.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

When I pay for cruises using the Citi Costco Visa card I get 3% back.  There goes almost the entire Viking eTransfer discount, and I get the credit card protection.  [And I reduce Viking's ridiculously early payment deadline by 1 month!]

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

With insurance, every policy is great value until you make a claim. it also pays to know the claim reporting procedure and time lines.

We recently cancelled a trip just days before departure. I won’t say the claims process was easy, but it was straightforward. The most troublesome part was assembling proof of payment as we made multiple payments from different accounts and ccs.
First step of claim process was having it reviewed for completeness and for a covered reason, then evaluated to determine whether the claim was payable, finally auditing and payment. At each step we were told “5 to 10 business days” for the specific process. Each took 10 days and the money was in our account in six weeks, 30 business days. 

The entire process was completed electronically on their website. It helps to have a scanner and also be OCD.

• Like 1

Back when the banks were giving .20% interest on savings, it might have made sense to pay in full by echeck for the 3.3%. Nowadays it’s not difficult to find a one year or six month CD for 4.0%. 

There is more consumer protection when using CC over cash. Also, as mentioned cash back or Airline Points. 

The one caveat I would add is that some credit cards limit how much they will reimburse for default/bankruptcy of the cruiseline.  For example, my specific Chase card limits the payout to $5000.  So do carefully check on the terms of your card.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dd57 said:

The one caveat I would add is that some credit cards limit how much they will reimburse for default/bankruptcy of the cruiseline.  For example, my specific Chase card limits the payout to $5000.  So do carefully check on the terms of your card.

Well if the cruiseline goes bankrupt you certainly not getting your cash back. Lol 

26 minutes ago, Got2Cruise said:

Well if the cruiseline goes bankrupt you certainly not getting your cash back. Lol 

Viking is probably one of the most financially secure lines IMO.

Though after saying that - I would always pay with a credit card. There are enough credit cards that give enough benefits to offset the cash discount.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Got2Cruise said:

That's one reason for using a credit card - the vendor did not provide the item purchased.  But not all credit cards would pay the whole amount.  Third party insurance can cover default.

Edited by dd57

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/23/2023 at 3:25 PM, Got2Cruise said:

Back when the banks were giving .20% interest on savings, it might have made sense to pay in full by echeck for the 3.3%. Nowadays it’s not difficult to find a one year or six month CD for 4.0%. 

There is more consumer protection when using CC over cash. Also, as mentioned cash back or Airline Points. 

You do not have to pay in advance to make use of the echeck 3.3% discount.  You can use it to pay for your deposit and later use it again for your final payment.

On 3/23/2023 at 10:39 PM, dd57 said:

That's one reason for using a credit card - the vendor did not provide the item purchased.  But not all credit cards would pay the whole amount.  Third party insurance can cover default.

Yes, our 3rd party trip insurance covers vendor (e.g. Viking) financial default.  By the way, that's one of the reasons you should consider using a 3rd party insurance rather than the "insurance" offered by Viking.  And Viking's "insurance" gives you a future cruise credit, rather than a cash rebate, if they cancel your cruise.