Edge class vs Oasis class

Cruiscs

Will be on Celebrity Edge soon and this will be our first time on Celebrity. Last year we had a fantastic cruise on Wonder -our first ever cruise. No we are hooked. Anyone who has been on both classes would like the share  the main differences? Both cruises are in the Western Med

Oasis class, more kids, you have lots of choices with both entertainment including name-branded broadway shows, aqua-theater, multiple comedians shows each night and dining options

Edge class, less kids, for entertainment you generally have one single thing going on at one time, generally the night show will be one night of a comedian, one night of a magician and the rest are musicals

I've been on the Apex and the Allure of the Seas. I guess my simplest comparison would be the Edge Class is like a high class hotel/resort while the Allure was more like a hotel attached to an amusement park. 

• Like 19

36 minutes ago, t18c97 said:

I've been on the Apex and the Allure of the Seas. I guess my simplest comparison would be the Edge Class is like a high class hotel/resort while the Allure was more like a hotel attached to an amusement park. 

Thanks! 

Edited by Cruiscs

Sailed the Allure in 2011. Our 7th cruise & it was my VERY FAVORITE CRUISE EVER.

(at the time...also, didn't sail Celebrity for the 1st time until 2012)

Sailed the Edge in 2021(14th cruise)--and I was BLOWN AWAY.

Celebrity does food & service better than RCCL overall.

That combined with the elevated experience in E-class has me obsessed with E-class.

Sailed Edge 2 weeks that time, Apex in March & have Beyond booked 2x this year.

I loved Allure because there were so many things to do! But bigger ships give you that in general.

I love Eclass because it is still big enough to have plenty to do, but the ships are the most beautiful I've sailed, the service continues to be very good & the food is SO good--MDRs best at sea imo (mainstream lines--have never sailed luxury lines) But their fine dining--OH WOW. 

Honestly, there is NO NEED to do fine dining--MDR is THAT good.

But their fine dining is over the top. 

Eden was 2 entirely different menus on each ship & both meals some of the best we have ever had.

We are doing Le Voyage on Beyond (reviews are amazing) & managed to snag Chef's Table.

• Like 4

For me a Med cruise is very different from the Caribbean islands - focused on long days in port trying to see as much as possible.  After that a shower and dinner was lovely but we were ready to rest knowing we would be up early the next morning to do it again.  Also the fewer passengers on Edge will make the lines to exit and re-enter the ship less long.  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, the_dylaness said:

On RCCL, as another poster mentioned you can see "name brand" shows such as "Cats"...  don't hold it agains them, though. 😂

Confused--fantastic show...albeit it's been around awhile.

So has Million Dollar Quartet on NCL...

Both incredibly popular still.

Edited by KKB

I like both classes of ships. I agree that they are totally different. i would do the Oasis class if I am sailing with kids or in the Caribbean where I have sailed many times. But I agree that a Med cruise is very port intensive and I really would not have time to do all the activities offered on the ship.

E class is so beautiful and elegant. If it is all adults in your party, I would definitely prefer E class.

You would have a great time on either ship.

• Like 3

Wonder can carry near 6988 passengers at maximum occupancy and 2300 crew.  It has a gross tonnage of 236,857.  Edge carries 2918 passengers and and 1377 crew, gross tonnage is 130,818.   So in addition to being a floating amusement park loaded with kids, Wonder is a whole lot larger than Edge by any measure.

I have been on Allure and Edge.  No comparison.

I was on Anthem and found it to have some similarities to Edge.

Edited by TeeRick
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, TeeRick said:

Wonder can carry near 6988 passengers at maximum occupancy and 2300 crew.  It has a gross tonnage of 236,857.  Edge carries 2918 passengers and and 1377 crew, gross tonnage is 130,818.   So in addition to being a floating amusement park loaded with kids, Wonder is a whole lot larger than Edge by any measure.

I have been on Allure and Edge.  No comparison.

I was on Anthem and found it to have some similarities to Edge.

?? You haven't been clear which is the clear winner ... If there is one ?

14 hours ago, LobsterStalker said:

?? You haven't been clear which is the clear winner ... If there is one ?

I cannot answer this except to say the clear winner is very much a personal choice depending on what you want out of your cruise vacation.  All of these ships are quite nice in their own ways.  If we are sailing the Caribbean and feel more like a party type vacation with a lot of activity we would go with RCCL and we really do enjoy Oasis class for this.  We love the Crown Loft suites.  The restaurants and entertainment choices on these ships far surpass any Celebrity ship.  But so do the crowds, noise and kids.  A good in-between choice is the RCCL Quantum ships like Anthem.  Still more activity and noise (think bumper cars) than Celebrity but not a gigantic ship.   

When you sail Edge soon, you will have a very different on-ship experience than Wonder.  More refined than any RCCL ship and less noise, far fewer kids,  but also fewer dining and entertainment choices (but still enough for us).  So as we are now retired and without kids at home, we tend to mostly cruise Celebrity.  We prefer S-Class and M-Class to the Edge Class, mostly for the real balconies.  But if you are in a suite on Edge you will get real balconies.

• Like 2

If you want to be at theme park at sea book Royal.  If you want relaxing and upscale experience book Celebrity Edge.  Just returned from Celebrity Apex and learned two things.  This was my first Celebrity cruise.    Ship designed very nice.  Lots of quiet areas on the ship and crew was excellent.  I would not book a cruise during spring break.  Lots of kids and teens on my cruise.  

Edited by AF-1
  • Like 1

On 3/24/2023 at 12:03 PM, KKB said:

Confused--fantastic show...albeit it's been around awhile.

So has Million Dollar Quartet on NCL...

Both incredibly popular still.

Sorry, sort of a running joke on the RCCL boards it seems... while I am sure many do love it (and I have never seen it), many folks there do NOT care for the Cats show and it gets a lot of jokes made about it.

59 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

The Edge Class is the basically the Quantum Class WITHOUT all the doodads 

E class has fewer cruisers and shorter check in lines.  Fewer kids.

My recollection is that Quantum has real balconies and not the  fake IVs.

Edited by NMTraveller

I have done both and what I did not like about the Oasis class ship was you have to make so many reservations.  When I am on vacation I do not want to follow a schedule unlike my normal daily routine.  However, as others have said the kids love the RCI ships.

• Like 1

Have done both multiple times , need to give oasis the edge on entertainment, edge and celebrity is a more adult cruise, better options on food since you can choose any of the four different mdr’s , also give edge a advantage in quality of buffet. I would pick based on which ports were visited . I will definitely book both again.