Passport hasn't arrived--can we stay on the ship instead of disembarking?

moondoggie

We've been trying since 2022 to get a new passport for my partner--his expired in 1998 and he hasn't needed one since.  So now we have our Senator trying to help us since we have a May cruise booked.

Someone suggested that a Passport wasn't required if we weren't planning to get off the ship at an international port.  The ports on this cruise are St Thomas (US Virgin Islands),  Princess Cay, and St Maartin (Dutch and French).  

We would be glad to stay on board in St Maartin.

Can we cruise and just get off at STT and Princess Cay?

Please advise--thank you!

8 minutes ago, moondoggie said:

We've been trying since 2022 to get a new passport for my partner--his expired in 1998 and he hasn't needed one since.  So now we have our Senator trying to help us since we have a May cruise booked.

Someone suggested that a Passport wasn't required if we weren't planning to get off the ship at an international port.  The ports on this cruise are St Thomas (US Virgin Islands),  Princess Cay, and St Maartin (Dutch and French).  

Not enough info.

Regardless of what the government of each port may require (I’m sure someone here will post about your ports), there’s also the cruise line’s own requirement. Some lines require that all passengers on all itineraries have a valid passport. So, call your cruise line.

In any case, if you are intending to travel within the next few weeks, you may be able to get an emergency passport appointment at select passport offices across the US. You’ll need proof of the travel (e.g., airtix) and the good fortune to snag one of the limited time slots. And yes, it may mean that you need to head to a city many, many (did I say “many”?) miles away.

Google the US State Department for details.

Proof of citizenship will be required to board the ship on embarkation day, regardless of whether you’re planning on going ashore or not.

If you’re on a “closed loop” itinerary (meaning that your cruise begins and ends at the same US port), and he was born in the US, he can travel with a birth certificate (original or certified with a seal. Can’t be a photocopy) AND a driver’s license. 

If your partner doesn’t have a birth certificate or if he’s not sure if what he has is the proper document, you can order a new one from www.vitalchek.com.

Regardless of whether he gets his passport back in time or not, I’d go ahead and order one to have it ready to go as a backup. Best of luck. 

Edited by Tapi
  • Like 1

@Tapi is correct that your partner needs some acceptable proof of citizenship.  This could be a valid passport, or if your partner is a US born citizen, his gov't issued birth certificate along with a gov't issued photo ID (generally a driver's license).  

Even thought this is a closed loop cruise, if he shows up at the pier without proof of citizenship, he would be denied boarding, and the cruise line would not be under any obligation to refund his cruise fare (nor yours' if you chose not to sail without him).  While your hope of 'just staying on the ship during the foreign port visits' seemingly is reasonable to you, that is not the way it works.

So, if you are on a closed loop cruise, and your partner is American born, please at least make sure that he has a gov't issued (city, county, or state) birth certificate, along with a driver's license.

• Like 2

Your partner needs acceptable proof of citizenship.  If he doesn't have that at boarding, then he will be denied boarding, and no refund for the cruise fare, but you would get taxes and fees back.  In your cruise contract, you check off a box indicating that you understand what travel documents are required, and that you understand the consequences.

I had responded to your other post.  If this is a closed loop cruise, his US issued birth certificate and gov't Photo ID (driver's license) should be enough, but you should check with whatever foreign ports you are visiting.  

• Like 1

If it is a closed loop cruise and you are embarked with your docs (SS# or license or some other issued government ID) you’ll be fine. I have a photocopy of my passport that I can take off the ship but I never have. Even in St. Maarten. I remember this clearly. This was pre Covid and I was joining a private excursion with Captain Bob’s tours and I knew I was going to get very wet. I had my cruise card and a driver’s license in a waterproof lanyard. I got off and got back on with no issues.

Now, I’m a nobody from nowhere so if they changed their policies I don’t want to lead you astray. As a test you might want to leave the ship with your cruise card and ID and ask the customs guard if it’s OK to enter without a passport. If he says no, go back and enjoy a quiet day on board. No harm, no foul.

On the "just won't get off" concept, in most cases you won't be allowed to board the ship if you don't have the proper ID for the ports involved, whether or not you plan on getting off at those ports. There are some exceptions but they are pretty few.

This sounds like a closed loop cruise, but we can't say for sure until you tell us what port(s) you bare beginning and ending your cruise at.

1 hour ago, HardToPort said:

If it is a closed loop cruise and you are embarked with your docs (SS# or license or some other issued government ID) you’ll be fine.

No... a US citizen will need an official birth certificate and a government-issued photo ID. SS# is of no value and they won't even be allowed to board the ship without proper documentation.

Also some cruise lines require a passport even if government regulations permit use of a birth certificate and photo ID by a US citizen.

This isn't merely a case of being able to disembark in a port .. it's embarkation requirements that are first and foremost.

Edited by njhorseman
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

I had responded to your other post.  If this is a closed loop cruise, his US issued birth certificate and gov't Photo ID (driver's license) should be enough, but you should check with whatever foreign ports you are visiting. 

They also need to check with their cruise line as some cruise lines require all passengers to have a valid passport even if government regulations permit use of a birth certificate and photo ID.

19 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

No... a US citizen will need an official birth certificate and a government-issued photo ID. SS# is of no value and they won't even be allowed to board the ship without proper documentation.

Also some cruise lines require a passport even if government regulations permit use of a birth certificate and photo ID by a US citizen.

This isn't merely a case of being able to disembark in a port .. it's embarkation requirements that are first and foremost.

Yes, as I said … if your docs get you embarked, you’re fine on a closed loop. I thought I was pretty clear that embarkation requirements were first and foremost.

1 hour ago, HardToPort said:

Yes, as I said … if your docs get you embarked, you’re fine on a closed loop. I thought I was pretty clear that embarkation requirements were first and foremost.

Again, don’t forget the cruise line’s own embark requirements. Most premium/luxury cruise lines require ALL passengers on ALL itineraries to present (and often surrender) a valid passport.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Again, don’t forget the cruise line’s own embark requirements. Most premium/luxury cruise lines require ALL passengers on ALL itineraries to present (and often surrender) a valid passport.

Understood. As a population (and criticism not intended) Americans don’t hold passports to the same extent as many other countries. I have seen countless passengers on closed loop cruises out of Florida traveling without passports. It might be part of the allure for many. But you are correct … you have to be damn sure you’re good before showing up.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

Your partner needs acceptable proof of citizenship.  If he doesn't have that at boarding, then he will be denied boarding, and no refund for the cruise fare, but you would get taxes and fees back.  In your cruise contract, you check off a box indicating that you understand what travel documents are required, and that you understand the consequences.

Just out of curiosity, what government photo id would work other than a driver's license? For instance, my late mother never learned how to drive so never had a driver's license.

11 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

Just out of curiosity, what government photo id would work other than a driver's license? For instance, my late mother never learned how to drive so never had a driver's license.

All states offer a a official photo ID.  Many older people will get a state ID once they are no longer driving - as well as folks who never had a license like your mom.  Same with those individuals (adults) who have special needs, or physically challenged and unable to hold a driver's license.  For those young people 16 and older and still in high school, and without a driver's license, we accept their student photo ID issued from their high school - it doesn't matter whether it is a public, private, or religious school.  

Fortunately, not having a photo ID is a rare occurrence. If someone shows up at the pier without a photo ID (lost or misplaced their wallet while traveling), our supervisors will work with them.   

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Tapi said:

Proof of citizenship will be required to board the ship on embarkation day, regardless of whether you’re planning on going ashore or not.

If you’re on a “closed loop” itinerary (meaning that your cruise begins and ends at the same US port), and he was born in the US, he can travel with a birth certificate (original or certified with a seal. Can’t be a photocopy) AND a driver’s license. 

If your partner doesn’t have a birth certificate or if he’s not sure if what he has is the proper document, you can order a new one from www.vitalchek.com.

Regardless of whether he gets his passport back in time or not, I’d go ahead and order one to have it ready to go as a backup. Best of luck. 

While a cruise lines might require an original the regulations do allow the use of a photocopy. 

42 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

Military ID(active, retired, dependent), state ID which can be issued instead of a DL.  Students can use school IDs if they have a picture.   EM

• Like 1

Just now, Essiesmom said:

Military ID(active, retired, dependent), state ID which can be issued instead of a DL.  Students can use school IDs if they have a picture.   EM

If someone works for a government entity (local, state, federal) their work ID would also qualify.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, moondoggie said:

Whether you stay on the ship or not is irrelevant. You’ve entered the country once the ship crosses into its established water boundary. 

1 hour ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

All states offer a a official photo ID.  Many older people will get a state ID once they are no longer driving - as well as folks who never had a license like your mom.  Same with those individuals (adults) who have special needs, or physically challenged and unable to hold a driver's license.  For those young people 16 and older and still in high school, and without a driver's license, we accept their student photo ID issued from their high school - it doesn't matter whether it is a public, private, or religious school.  

Fortunately, not having a photo ID is a rare occurrence. If someone shows up at the pier without a photo ID (lost or misplaced their wallet while traveling), our supervisors will work with them.   

I think my mother had a picture id from the senior citizens, I'm not sure, but I believe it was issued by the county. Would that have qualified?

She once had a passport that she needed when my parents went to Japan. She had to get help from our representative in Congress to obtain that. She had come to this country as a toddler when her parents escaped the Ukraine and came to America, I really do not know whether she ever had an official birth certificate. She had served in the WAVES in WWII (which is where she met my father who was in the Navy). If she still had that picture id which would have been very old, would that qualify her to board a ship?

29 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

If she still had that picture id which would have been very old, would that qualify her to board a ship?

No, the ID needs to be current.  We, on occasion have passengers using recently expired DLs, which usually go to a supervisor for an 'okay'

32 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

I think my mother had a picture id from the senior citizens, I'm not sure, but I believe it was issued by the county. Would that have qualified?

She once had a passport that she needed when my parents went to Japan. She had to get help from our representative in Congress to obtain that. She had come to this country as a toddler when her parents escaped the Ukraine and came to America, I really do not know whether she ever had an official birth certificate. She had served in the WAVES in WWII (which is where she met my father who was in the Navy). If she still had that picture id which would have been very old, would that qualify her to board a ship?

ID's need to be unexpired and I see @Ferry_Watcher answered as I started my reply, but she needs something to show that she is a US citizen and since she was born abroad that is likely a Naturalization Certificate. Since she wasn't born in the US her birth certificate doesn't establish US citizenship.

It is a closed loop cruise to/from FLL.  First port is Princess Cay, then STT then STM.  Four sea days.

The State Department/Passport Office has both the original Birth Certificate and original Baptismal Certificate--they have had these for months!

We have tons of other ID--previous Passport cover page with photo, Drivers License, Medicare Card, Social Security Card, VA id Card, (and Costco photo credit card!).

We called Vital Check, and were told it would be another 7 months or more to get a Birth Certificate!

AAAAAARGH!!

28 minutes ago, moondoggie said:

It is a closed loop cruise to/from FLL.  First port is Princess Cay, then STT then STM.  Four sea days.

The State Department/Passport Office has both the original Birth Certificate and original Baptismal Certificate--they have had these for months!

We have tons of other ID--previous Passport cover page with photo, Drivers License, Medicare Card, Social Security Card, VA id Card, (and Costco photo credit card!).

We called Vital Check, and were told it would be another 7 months or more to get a Birth Certificate!

AAAAAARGH!!

Is there a copy of his birth certificate on file somewhere that you can get, or did you keep a copy when you sent off for the passport? I would also try to call the issuing authority, maybe they can provide it sooner than vital check can since vital check is just a middle man.