Cancelled a port call, any recourse?

Usually they try to find an alternate port and, if they can't, they give you port fees back if you've paid final price.  They usually cancel ports for safety reasons (weather, political climate, etc.), but sometimes it's for other reasons.  They have the right (according to the contract) to make itinerary changes if necessary, but they are not cavalier about it since they have get a lot of upset customers when they do.

If you haven't paid your final payment you may be able to change cruise dates if that port is important to you .  For us, the ship is often the destination and, although we're excited to go to new places, the cruise lines always seem to make it a fantastic vacation regardless of where we go.

I  hope you enjoy the cruise a lot and this hasn't put a damper on your pre-vacation excitement. Things may still change before you leave and it may be even better than you expected.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, jacelyn said:

This is our first cruise, and the cancelled a port call. Will they credit us or anything? 

I have a letter from when I emailed a vp saying it's up to each ship if they return port charges to you. They dont have a policy for all changed or missed ports. If port charges go up you arent billed for the difference so if they go down you arent due the lower port charges on this cruiseline.

They might but I got back nothing.

• Like 1

Just now, firefly333 said:

I have a letter from when I emailed a vp saying it's up to each ship if they return port charges to you. They dont have a policy for all changed or missed ports. If port charges go up you arent billed for the difference so if they go down you arent due the lower port charges on this cruiseline.

They might but I got back nothing.

Ok thank you 

4 minutes ago, tserface said:

Usually they try to find an alternate port and, if they can't, they give you port fees back if you've paid final price.  They usually cancel ports for safety reasons (weather, political climate, etc.), but sometimes it's for other reasons.  They have the right (according to the contract) to make itinerary changes if necessary, but they are not cavalier about it since they have get a lot of upset customers when they do.

If you haven't paid your final payment you may be able to change cruise dates if that port is important to you .  For us, the ship is often the destination and, although we're excited to go to new places, the cruise lines always seem to make it a fantastic vacation regardless of where we go.

I  hope you enjoy the cruise a lot and this hasn't put a damper on your pre-vacation excitement. Things may still change before you leave and it may be even better than you expected.

I dont think this is necessarily true. I got back nothing. I also have a letter saying it's up to each ship. 

We first changed from Caymans and jamaica twice to cheaper mexico and roatan ports, my ta said nothing due even though port fees went down.. and then we missed a port .. due to weather and I was again told nothing due. 

If you have a link saying port fees will be refunded please provide it. 

Edited by firefly333

1 minute ago, firefly333 said:

I dont think this is necessarily true. I got back nothing. I also have a letter saying it's up to each ship. 

We first changed from Caymans and jamaica twice to cheaper mexico and roatan ports, manta said nothing due even though port fees went down.. and then we missed a port .. due to weather and I was again told nothing due. 

If you have a link saying port fees will be refunded please provide it. 

I'm just providing my experience.  We've always gotten port fees removed from our account while aboard the ship.  I don't know if that's been everyone else's experience or if it's mandatory or not.  I don't have a link. Sorry.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jacelyn said:

This is our first cruise, and the cancelled a port call. Will they credit us or anything? 

That is 100% up to the discretion of the ship.  You may get something, you may get nothing.  I have seen both and seen this communicated in writing to a guest.

I’m on the Ovation now. On the last cruise to South Pacific, we had one port cancelled and did receive port taxes back. This cruise to NZ, we have missed 2 ports, so far (1 to go), and received nothing. What’s funny is, we have a new Captain that joined this cruise. Captain Ryan was going on holiday.

As others have mentioned, they don’t have to give anything.

• Thanks 1

I am not sure how each port charges RCI for the fees/taxes.  If the port's has a policy that the taxes and fees are "non-refundable" (we charge you whether you dock or not) then that may be why RCI doesn't refund them.  I doubt RCI would willingly give up $200K to refund port charges if they are not being reimbursed by the port.

1 hour ago, The Scurvy Pirate said:

I am not sure how each port charges RCI for the fees/taxes.  If the port's has a policy that the taxes and fees are "non-refundable" (we charge you whether you dock or not) then that may be why RCI doesn't refund them.  I doubt RCI would willingly give up $200K to refund port charges if they are not being reimbursed by the port.

How do you explain why if carnival misses the same ports their policy is they always refund some small amount for port fees. 

It's just that rcl has decided not to automatically refund port fees. Nothing to do with how the ports charge rcl. .. or carnival would do it the same way. This is just something rcl decided they can get away with imo so they do. 

And also if port fees are less after I board every time carnival gives me a little unexpected obc for the overage .. unlike rcl. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, dunedinmaiden said:

If you purchase Allianz trip insurance, they will refund you $100 per person/per missed port.

I wonder how that works.  Do you know?  What type of proof of missed port is required?  I'm not sure how you'd go about proving it after it happens.

Edited by MeHeartCruising

5 hours ago, MeHeartCruising said:

I wonder how that works.  Do you know?  What type of proof of missed port is required?  I'm not sure how you'd go about proving it after it happens.

There’s usually a notice provided on board of the change, which will be different from the itinerary at booking.  I’ve been refunded multiple times for missed ports!

• Like 1