Jim_Iain Apex Key West, TansAtlantic and British Isle with a Week in Amsterdam

Jim_Iain

On 5/4/2023 at 9:17 PM, OysterD said:

Sorry to hear it took you half a day to book train tickets but looks like you had a great day anyway 🙂

https://www.thetrainline.com/

I normally use this for train tickets here in the UK, they also sell tickets for continental European trains. 

Me too, I was going to suggest trainline 

On 4/17/2023 at 5:42 PM, Jim_Iain said:

It cooled off this afternoon around 3:30 and was able to complete my 20,000 steps.  

Earlier it was like dodging sheep while trying to walk.   I can really tell the ship is at full capacity. 

it was really nice late afternoon 

IMG_2123.thumb.jpeg.2c149d6633e743e979ac8c9c336ea8a5.jpeg

Love some of the sculptures on Apex. 

IMG_2127.thumb.jpeg.7612517b9a216b62d9bed892b1f9da75.jpeg

Dodging sheep.  I have been off and on looking for reports on how crowded the Apex (and sister ships) are.  I was on shortly after things opened up after covid with only about 700 onboard; yet the walking track and the martini bar were both crowded for many hours of the day.  Loved our cruise; might be our favorite ever.  But - still am very concerned it may be too crowded; some of the areas are a bit small for the number of passenger - Al Baccio and the club next to Martini Bar come to mind.

On 5/5/2023 at 7:58 AM, Jim_Iain said:

I love to see things like that..   I wonder who crocheted the figures.   Some were in the Castle and some in Town. 

Crocheting seems to be a thing these last few years when there's any national celebrations. Even in our village the postboxes are wearing crocheted crowns.  And its nearest town has loads of random crocheted flags and displays . This is at the end of my road20230426_160401.thumb.jpg.9158d1a898fbfe9eeacf63e8a52a631f.jpg

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

All caught up -    See if I can update for today.   It is now 4:40PM an we have dinner reservations at 6 before the Vienna Symphony tonight.   Tomorrow is going to be a chill day. 

We  got up early and off to the Tram and Metro to EuroaPlain where we boarded the bus for Keukenhof. 

Ok.   Ok. Iain I’ll get dressed for dinner.  Here’s quick teaser 

sidewalk out front of our flat

IMG_4450.thumb.jpeg.e5a89dab8a0da76d7a97aed468f05bb7.jpeg

IMG_4451.thumb.jpeg.1bf69fa77c41f79d1e43094c61fdcc78.jpeg

IMG_4452.thumb.jpeg.a5266098c559b89d4c86757950485339.jpeg

IMG_4456.thumb.jpeg.7e57d6fe2ebc39e8a972f58fa32fa44a.jpeg

IMG_4457.jpeg

IMG_4458.jpeg

IMG_4460.jpeg

Oh so beautiful.... The tulips are fabulous

seems you picked a great restaurant for your first dinner...hope tonight's is just as special..and the symphony too

Hope you continue to enjoy your family vacation...

Edited by hcat
  • Like 1

Thanks for sharing the Amsterdam part of your trip.  It's a place I really hope to see some day (maybe we will head there before our fjord cruise next year - honestly Norway is amazing!!!).  It's been cold here all week, so it looks like you've been traveling at a good time (from your local "neighbor" who walked through Washington Park this morning). Not sure when you are returning, but it's finally warming up here.

I have to share the most touching part of our entire day.   We came a across a ambulance squad that was granting a 98 year old a final wish.   She wanted to see the Orchid Exhibition at the Tulip Gardens.   About 10 ambulance drivers accompanied her and wheeled her through the exposition.   I was so touched I bought her an Orchid Plant to bring home with her.   She just glowed and the care givers gave me a hug and said she said you made her day.

You can tell by the smile on her face and the attendant we’re having a wonderful day out. 

IMG_4504.thumb.jpeg.60f52c3ebfdead1b5fe5c9694aa10e8e.jpeg

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Like 56
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Jim_Iain said:

I have to share the most touching part of our entire day.   We came a across a ambulance squad that was granting a 98 year old a final wish.   She wanted to see the Orchid Exhibition at the Tulip Gardens.   About 10 ambulance drivers accompanied her and wheeled her through the exposition.   I was so touched I bought her an Orchid Plant to bring home with her.   She just glowed and the care givers gave me a hug and said she said you made her day.

You can tell by the smile on her face and the attendant we’re having a wonderful day out. 

IMG_4504.thumb.jpeg.60f52c3ebfdead1b5fe5c9694aa10e8e.jpeg

How touching and you are amazing..so compassionate..

• Like 5

We ran ourselves ragged yesterday.   After Keukenhof we had an hour to relax and clean up before heading to an early dinner at the Theater.

We had dinner at a little Greek Restaurant of the Leidseplein.   Nothing remarkable but good food.

Next we were off to Wiener Symphoniker: Mahler's Symphony No. 5 at the Concertgebouw.

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Like 6

Saturday -

Chill day..   Really didn't do much except find a print shop and printed our luggage tags.   I forgot to do that on the ship and they weren't available yest when we left home.

Beautiful day with clear skies and plenty of sun.

IMG_4602.thumb.jpeg.3812d6ee225269a8eabb3c8015016397.jpeg

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Like 7

I’m really forward to your reports of the ports that you visit on your ‘ Round the British Isles’ cruise.

We did it in 2021, just after cruising returned. The only port we had done before was Liverpool and that was only because our Granddaughter had done her Medical degree there.

• Like 1

Just now, upwarduk said:

I’m really forward to your reports of the ports that you visit on your ‘ Round the British Isles’ cruise.

We did it in 2021, just after cruising returned. The only port we had done before was Liverpool and that was only because our Granddaughter had done her Medical degree there.

I remember when you did that cruise.      Even thought Alex, Evelyn and Iain are from Scotland they have never been to the Shetlands.  I've not been to most port so look forward to it.

• Like 5

Sitting out on the patio wasting time. We plan on trying out a new ride share called Bolt.   Recommend on Google maps.   

We get a 50% discount to try. 

We will need a Van for the 4 of us and luggage.  Not bad at 14.50 Euros

IMG_4608.thumb.jpeg.1da4bad1b82542ed97099501f1844c7e.jpeg

IMG_4610.thumb.png.500b24c6126cf7b7aa96c75d615abef7.png

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Like 7

4 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Sitting out on the patio wasting time. We plan on trying out a new ride share called Bolt.   Recommend on Google maps.   

We get a 50% discount to try. 

We will need a Van for the 4 of us and luggage.  Not bad at 14.50 Euros

IMG_4608.thumb.jpeg.1da4bad1b82542ed97099501f1844c7e.jpeg

IMG_4610.thumb.png.500b24c6126cf7b7aa96c75d615abef7.png

Hey Jim - The 9 night Alaska cruise was great on the Solstice. Here is a pic of someone you will recognize with us! 

IMG_2788.jpg

9 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Even thought Alex, Evelyn and Iain are from Scotland they have never been to the Shetlands. 

Went in 1991 when our son was working at the Oil Refineries. It was sunny, but cold. We never wore shorts, as even in summer, you can have 4 seasons in a day.