Tipping on Board

austinetc

I was recently on an awful Norwegian cruise and was surprised by the amount of random tipping going on at the bars. There's a service charge for each drink. But now my sister, who just completed a Viking Cruise, also mentioned tipping at bars and the dining room.

What is this about? I'm not insensitive to the crew's tremendous value, but one thing I stress over is whether or not to tip and how much. I luxuriate in the knowledge that tipping is included on Viking. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, austinetc said:

I was recently on an awful Norwegian cruise and was surprised by the amount of random tipping going on at the bars. There's a service charge for each drink. But now my sister, who just completed a Viking Cruise, also mentioned tipping at bars and the dining room.

What is this about? I'm not insensitive to the crew's tremendous value, but one thing I stress over is whether or not to tip and how much. I luxuriate in the knowledge that tipping is included on Viking. 

I don't know what's up but our last out of 5 Viking cruises on Ocean ended in March and the SSBP included a 15% gratuity.  If you don't have the package, each drink purchased also includes the 15% gratuity.  Sometimes at the end of the cruise people will give cash tips if they had a really good bartender throughout the cruise but not each time they got a drink.  I never cruised on a different line (and most likely never will unless there are less passengers) so i don't know their policies, expectations or customs.  However I do know that more and more people are sailing with Viking for the first time.  Most passengers I've seen just carry their room key card in their pocket on Viking and that's it.  Plus Viking is supposed to be the cruise line that does not nickle and dime their guests all day!  

• Like 7

Gratuities are $15.00  or 18,00 per day pp. I cannot remember because our TA give the cost of these gratuities as his OBC .  It will be billed on your onboard account. You can have it removed if you like.

As to tipping bartender and wait staff. That is done a lot on big cruise lines to get better service etc. No need on Viking. As Tanyana says  gratuity of 15% is added to each drink you buy. But if you have the SSBP that is included . 

I do like to give a cash tip on last day to my room steward and maybe one or two wait staff I have gotten great  service from  each and every day. ..that is it. 

Edited by Azulann
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, austinetc said:

I too was on a recent awful NCL cruise.

it was the Epic with 4600 pax.

We felt we had to tip at the bar to get served without a long wait.

Normally there is no need to tip extra (but we do selectively), but this was not a normal cruise!!

12 minutes ago, CILCIANRQTS said:

I too was on a recent awful NCL cruise.

it was the Epic with 4600 pax.

We felt we had to tip at the bar to get served without a long wait.

Normally there is no need to tip extra (but we do selectively), but this was not a normal cruise!!

I was on the Epic! Caribbean, 7 nights. 4600 LOUD passengers. Never again.

So much tipping, which frankly didn't work from what I saw. There were lines at the bars.

29 minutes ago, austinetc said:

So much tipping, which frankly didn't work from what I saw. There were lines at the bars.

We early on found a server that we tipped for every drink.

She came running every time we sat down, knew our drinks, and even the names of our spouses!!
Definitely filled out a “ heroes” card for her!!
Agree, never again on a big ship.

Edited by CILCIANRQTS
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Azulann said:

Gratuities are $15.00  or 18,00 per day pp. I cannot remember because our TA give the cost of these gratuities as his OBC .  It will be billed on your onboard account. You can have it removed if you like.

As to tipping bartender and wait staff. That is done a lot on big cruise lines to get better service etc. No need on Viking. As Tanyana says  gratuity of 15% is added to each drink you buy. But if you have the SSBP that is included . 

I do like to give a cash tip on last day to my room steward and maybe one or two wait staff I have gotten great  service from  each and every day. ..that is it. 

The 15% gratuity on drinks is already included in the price, not added on top.  Or else all the bartenders I've dealt with forgot to add the tip...  I've never had the SSBP.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

NOTES for the NEWBIES:

Shipboard currency on all Oceans is USD.

Currency on rivers differs depending on the destination (euro in Europe, Egyptian pound in Egypt, etc.) so check the FAQ for your cruise.

The tip pool covers tips for the hotel staff -- the ones you see from day to day and the ones who work behind the scenes (prep chefs, dishwashers, laundry, etc.). You may pay this in advance on MVJ (or as part of cruise fare for guests in AUS, NZ and UK) or it will be added to your shipboard bill at the end of the cruise.

Bar prices include a 15% gratuity. Drinks package includes gratuities.

Spa prices (for services) including the salon include a 15% gratuity. (Use of the spa facilities is included in your cruise fare).

• There maybe a line for tips on the bill but it is there for the convenience of those who wish to tip in addition to the 15%. The downside is that it gives impression that something is expected; it is not. (File it under "damned if they do, damned if they don't).

It is not necessary to slip the bartenders a tip at the start of the cruise to insure prompt service. If you are a regular, they will get to know you quickly enough. If you are not regular, you will be treated as if you were.

Shorex do not include tips. Viking will say something about the recommended amount for guides and drivers in the e-doc that are sent out 14 days prior to departure.

Pre- and post-cruise extensions are not included in the shipboard tip pool and tips are not included in the price of the package.

18 hours ago, austinetc said:

Sounds like a staffing problem -- and tipping more won't fix that, even in the short run of a cruise.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Having been part of the hospitality industry my whole life I understand the controversy. I’d prefer all gratuities be included in my cruise price. I also enjoy adding to the gratuity for the extra effort some provide. 

• Like 3

As an Australian (and I think it's the same for UK), all of our gratuities are included in the fare. I expect staff know that; it's not in our culture.

That said, we will leave a tip at the end for staff we really appreciated.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, THR said:

As an Australian (and I think it's the same for UK), all of our gratuities are included in the fare. I expect staff know that; it's not in our culture.

That said, we will leave a tip at the end for staff we really appreciated.

So ----- it is in your culture.

2 hours ago, duquephart said:

So ----- it is in your culture.

No it isn’t to the same extent as US - I think THR means we don’t normally tip the way it’s done in US, however if someone goes above & beyond then we will maybe recognise this with a tip.   

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

NOTES for the NEWBIES:

Shipboard currency on all Oceans is USD.

Currency on rivers differs depending on the destination (euro in Europe, Egyptian pound in Egypt, etc.) so check the FAQ for your cruise.

The tip pool covers tips for the hotel staff -- the ones you see from day to day and the ones who work behind the scenes (prep chefs, dishwashers, laundry, etc.). You may pay this in advance on MVJ (or as part of cruise fare for guests in AUS, NZ and UK) or it will be added to your shipboard bill at the end of the cruise.

Bar prices include a 15% gratuity. Drinks package includes gratuities.

Spa prices (for services) including the salon include a 15% gratuity. (Use of the spa facilities is included in your cruise fare).

• There maybe a line for tips on the bill but it is there for the convenience of those who wish to tip in addition to the 15%. The downside is that it gives impression that something is expected; it is not. (File it under "damned if they do, damned if they don't).

It is not necessary to slip the bartenders a tip at the start of the cruise to insure prompt service. If you are a regular, they will get to know you quickly enough. If you are not regular, you will be treated as if you were.

Shorex do not include tips. Viking will say something about the recommended amount for guides and drivers in the e-doc that are sent out 14 days prior to departure.

Pre- and post-cruise extensions are not included in the shipboard tip pool and tips are not included in the price of the package.

Sounds like a staffing problem -- and tipping more won't fix that, even in the short run of a cruise.

As always @Peregrina651, you have provided such a great summary of all the relevant information on tipping.  Just taking a moment to again thank you for all your very informative posts on Cruise Critic - not just for the Newbies but for some of us long time cruisers as well, as we often forget things.  🙂      Much appreciated!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

38 minutes ago, Hobson1754 said:

No it isn’t to the same extent as US - I think THR means we don’t normally tip the way it’s done in US, however if someone goes above & beyond then we will maybe recognise this with a tip.   

In other words ------ we don't tip but we do tip. Got it.

To recap from my originating question, it's clear that the people my sister saw tipping early and often on her Viking (transAtlantic) cruise don't participate on CruiseCritic. I'm glad to see it. No tipping it is (until perhaps the last day). 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, duquephart said:

No, we do not throw our money around, as an insulting ‘look, I have loads more money than you’ 

People in the UK are on a *minimum* wage.  Tips here are TIPS, not bribes. Tips are generally not expected, but are given for service above and beyond that expected in their ‘day job’.  People see US tourists as ‘cash cows’. Throwing money around in the UK is seen as very ‘poor manners’ and insulting ‘charity’.  People will willingly accept it but say to their colleagues the customer has ‘more money than sense’.  A 10% tip in a restaurant here is what one would generally give, if the service deserved it. Never would we bribe a bartender before providing drinks. In fact in a pub, we wouldn’t even tip bar men/women, unless they happen to go way above their ‘job’

The adult *minimum* wage here in the UK is currently £10.42/hr, which is probably near $13/hr.  This is the minimum allowed by law.  Tips are tips, not bribes, nor are they to pay the staff wages.  

if I visited the US, then obviously I need to conform to that culture, but I think it’s got totally out of hand over there. It’s not longer just tipping, but bribery and wage paying.  

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, duquephart said:

No need to be obnoxious. Anyone else would understand the point that is being made. 

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Goosebear Mum said:

No, we do not throw our money around, as an insulting ‘look, I have loads more money than you’ 

People in the UK are on a *minimum* wage.  Tips here are TIPS, not bribes. Tips are generally not expected, but are given for service above and beyond that expected in their ‘day job’.  People see US tourists as ‘cash cows’. Throwing money around in the UK is seen as very ‘poor manners’ and insulting ‘charity’.  People will willingly accept it but say to their colleagues the customer has ‘more money than sense’.  A 10% tip in a restaurant here is what one would generally give, if the service deserved it. Never would we bribe a bartender before providing drinks. In fact in a pub, we wouldn’t even tip bar men/women, unless they happen to go way above their ‘job’

The adult *minimum* wage here in the UK is currently £10.42/hr, which is probably near $13/hr.  This is the minimum allowed by law.  Tips are tips, not bribes, nor are they to pay the staff wages.  

if I visited the US, then obviously I need to conform to that culture, but I think it’s got totally out of hand over there. It’s not longer just tipping, but bribery and wage paying.  

BUT…we’re talking about cruise ship staff, who have no protection regarding their pay and conditions of employment.

That’s why cruise lines register their ships in such unexpected countries - because they don’t require even minimal protection for the staff.

AND…when I choose to tip, it’s between me and the staff member only. I don’t make a big display of it.

AND…who determines when it’s “too early” to tip or else it will be classified as a “bribe”. I tip very early, to show the staff member how much I appreciate their efforts from day 1.

Cruise staff work for, and appreciate, tips folks!! It amazes me how hard CC posters work to justify no or last day tips. And please don’t lecture me on when or how much I should tip. Everyone says it’s a personal decision - until another tipping thread starts…🙄🙄

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, CILCIANRQTS said:

BUT…we’re talking about cruise ship staff, who have no protection regarding their pay and conditions of employment.

That’s why cruise lines register their ships in such unexpected countries - because they don’t require even minimal protection for the staff.

AND…when I choose to tip, it’s between me and the staff member only. I don’t make a big display of it.

AND…who determines when it’s “too early” to tip or else it will be classified as a “bribe”. I tip very early, to show the staff member how much I appreciate their efforts from day 1.

Cruise staff work for, and appreciate, tips folks!! It amazes me how hard CC posters work to justify no or last day tips. And please don’t lecture me on when or how much I should tip. Everyone says it’s a personal decision - until another tipping thread starts…🙄🙄

I think you’re missing the point that for some markets, tips are advertised as included and not additional. Why should we pay higher fares AND be* expected to tip like your culture? Any tips are optional/discretionary and on the basis of performance. 

Edited by THR
Typo
  • Like 5