Do you fold or trim your printed luggage tags?

zitsky

8 hours ago, WestLakeGirl said:

I hand my suiitcasecto the Porter at the pier who writes a luggage tag for me

We don't have a home printer anymore so that is what we did (except it was at the airport with the transfer rep). The handed us the coloured tags to fill in and attach. 

1 hour ago, rodndonna said:

We don't have a home printer anymore so that is what we did (except it was at the airport with the transfer rep). The handed us the coloured tags to fill in and attach. 

Airport transfer rep?  Is this a suite thing?

3 minutes ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

Ditto. Well, IF I have checked bags (rare).

I'm amazed at the number of people who still have home printers.

I love my printer. I make fun things for the grand kids to color and play with. I use the copier and still scan the old fashion way. It’s funny how every once in a while my DS needs to use my printer!

32 minutes ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

We only got rid of ours this last year after having keeping it in a closet and being pulled only soley to print for cruises at which time it was inevitable out of ink again!!!???.

If we need something printed no we can do it at Staples or our library. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

I have one.  What is the alternative?  Just keep e-documents on your Phone?  What do you do if you need a paper copy of something?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Folding makes them more robust.

Even if you use the plastic holders (like we do), folding makes them easier to handle and slide in the holders.

Folding takes nominally more effort than trimming.

7 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

I have one.  What is the alternative?  Just keep e-documents on your Phone?  What do you do if you need a paper copy of something?

We keep all the e-docs and just print if absolutely necessary. With HAL we now print nothing but as X was our first X cruise we printed the boarding doc (at the library)

Edited by rodndonna
correction
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, WestLakeGirl said:

I hand my suiitcasecto the Porter at the pier who writes a luggage tag for me

That's exactly what we do--- 

I don't know why this is even a topic to be discussed, or of interest to anyone .

( LOL--- I know what's coming--- no need )

51 minutes ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

I have two -- InkJet and LaserJet.  Then again I was an IT Security Professional for over 20 years.  Need two printers to go with my four laptops and two desktops. 

Like many others, I print out baggage tags, take a sharpie and write out last name on the tags, fold and place into the plastic holders.  The plastic holders go in my backpack until the morning we board the ship when I attach them to the suitcases.  

11 minutes ago, DCPIV said:

Folding takes nominally more effort than trimming.

That is true but I still fold them anyway to put into the holders.  I find if they are folded, making them thicker, they slide in and out of the plastic holders easier than if they are trimmed before putting in the holders. 

Having worked at a cruise terminal (mostly doing check-in), I have also worked outside the terminal answering questions and directing people.  For those passengers who show up with their luggage tags attached - thank you!  It makes everyone's job just a little easier. Many of these folks have either flown in the day before and attached their luggage tags before leaving their hotel, or drove to the port.

For those who are coming directly from the airport, please take the time to pre-fold your luggage tags before leaving home.  I cant tell you how many tri-fold luggage tags I have helped fold for passengers as they wait for a porter.  Having your luggage tags flat (unfolded) in a travel folder looks tidy, but you would be surprised how long it takes folding 4-6 tag while standing with your arms full with carry-on luggage at a busy pier.  I have even shown passengers how to attach the plastic luggage tag holders with the circular wire  (it's all part of my day).

Pro tips:

If possible, if coming from a hotel or local home arrive at the pier with luggage tags attached

Luggage tags should be attached after your flight, not before

Luggage tags should be attached to the top handle (as seen when the suitcase is upright)

Fold your tags - this gives the tags 3 ply strength.  

Consider printing enough luggage tags to include having tags for your carry-on luggage

Porters all carry staplers, so don't worry about attaching the tags if you just arrived off of a flight

Do have your luggage tags pre-folded (faster for everyone)

Staples, packing tape, plastic luggage tag sleeves?  Your choice.  no wrong choice here.

Luggage tags can be made at the pier by porters, longshore - just ask

Include your name, address, stateroom info inside your bag, just in case

Take a photo of your bag before you hand it over

Edited by Ferry_Watcher
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

I still have a land line and printer. 😁 I cut out the luggage tags from the printed sheet (no need to do all that extra folding), fold the tags in half and put them in plastic luggage tag holders and put the luggage tag holders on our luggage at the pre cruise hotel. 

43 minutes ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

I'm 51, but yeah. I rarely need to print anything and if I do I just go to the library and do it.

Library printing is great - 

• it is more than likely cheaper than home printing (printer , paper and ink cartridge costs)
  • better quality printed materials and machines are likely better maintained (no more hassles with paper jams and such)
  • supports you local library!

...win, win, win ....

• Like 1

Every day I find another item I have(printer and landline)  that is "out of style".  Yes we are "older" but still enjoying life.  I do print notes when sending cards(easier for them to read and yes another ancient habit), cruise or travel paperwork so I have backup if I should lose my cell and also print funny cartoons or sayings to look at away from my desktop(yes, another thing I have that is outdated). 

I do marvel at the ease people use their cell to pay for a purchase. 

I do like that I am not tied to my cell as so many are.  Verbal conversation with others seem to be also  going away.

I print, fold and attach luggage tags to the suitcases morning of arrival.  I guess I can say I am making the porters happy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1