Floor lights

JudithLynne

We have completed 30 cruises with Princess.  Our last cruise was in January on the Sapphire.  There was a change in our cabin that we did not like.  At night if one of us got up to use the restroom, floor lights next to the wall would turn on, probably to guide our way. We found it to be very annoying.  We use a flashlight for that.  Is there some way to disable this?  We will be on the Crown in Sept and are not looking forward to the bedtime lighting system.

39 minutes ago, JudithLynne said:

We have completed 30 cruises with Princess.  Our last cruise was in January on the Sapphire.  There was a change in our cabin that we did not like.  At night if one of us got up to use the restroom, floor lights next to the wall would turn on, probably to guide our way. We found it to be very annoying.  We use a flashlight for that.  Is there some way to disable this?  We will be on the Crown in Sept and are not looking forward to the bedtime lighting system.

They seem to do this modification in dry dock.  Anyway, we just take masking tape and cover the sensor.  Works great. You can also ask the steward to cover the one in the closet too.  We put it on the nightstand one and the closet one.

We also take the little led candle lights and put one in the bathroom.  Just enough light you don’t need a flashlight or have to turn on a light. Just turn it off in the morning and it lasts about 30 days.

Edited by PacnGoNow
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Mike45LC said:

I just place a t-shirt or other item of clothing to block the sensor.  I don’t think duct tape is good for the sensor.

Masking tape or painters tape won’t hurt it. Comes right off.  

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Mike45LC said:

Not after a week or longer.  The adhesive starts to dry and stick.

My understanding is that the cabin steward’s do exactly that. They put tape over the sensors if passengers request that they be disabled. 

9 minutes ago, Torfamm said:

My understanding is that the cabin steward’s do exactly that. They put tape over the sensors if passengers request that they be disabled. 

Yes, they do.  If you forget to bring it, they will do it for you. 

For the foot lights, I just rolled a towel and placed it on the floor. Even when the light goes off, most is blocked.

For the one in the hall, in this room, (as Im on the Ruby now), it seems that if the bathroom door is in the 'right place' it blocks the sensor range. 

Agreed.  Just got off the Emerald 15 days, and the night lights were a pain.  We ended up putting the small throw pillows in front of the floor lights on the two night stands, worked perfectly.  But the one outside the bathroom on the ceiling was as bright as day, and woke up each other every time one of us went to the bathroom at night.  Will definitely bring painters tape next time.  When on Princess we have traveled with a very small night light that we just leave plugged in to the bathroom outlet the entire trip.  It has a small sensor so it only runs at night.  Just enough light to see what you are doing without waking the dead!

• Like 1

I put a piece of painters tape over the light in the closet/bathroom area.  When I needed the light to see something on the shelves or in the safe, I just reached up and gave the tape a little twist and the light came on - albeit on a timer.

I can usually find a workaround for most "improvements for your convenience".  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Shelly97060 said:

The new lights are terrible… we put rolled up pool towels in front of the night stands and bandaids over the sensor for the one in front of the bathroom door. 

That seems like a quick & simple solution. 

17 minutes ago, Katjoy said:

I love floor lights. It is weird to me why so many people hate them. 

Because when one person gets up at night, the bright light can wake up the other person who is sleeping.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Just now, Katjoy said:
9 minutes ago, caribill said:

Because when one person gets up at night, the bright light can wake up the other person who is sleeping.

I understand the lights bother you, but for us we have night lights around our home & leave our bedroom door open (since we are empty nesters). I have gotten used to it, so on the cruise ship I welcome the light from the floor under the night stands because it is so dark at night if we need to get up when our drapes are closed. I no longer bring a night light for our cabin. I am glad there is a way you can block the light since you are not a fan of them. 

• Like 1

On 4/22/2023 at 6:26 AM, Torfamm said:

Agreed... We have been using rechargeable motion sensor lights in the bathroom for our last few cruises. The charge lasted the entire 15 day cruise. The only drawback is they attach magnetically and there is very little ferrous metal in the bathroom area. There is a ceiling vent above the sink that works.  On one ship (Discovery?) the shelf railings were metal and the magnets worked. On the Crown, the shelf railings didn't work but the door did.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08M69ZLQ4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1