QM2 Cancellation 23rd & 30th April

avalon1025

7 minutes ago, Saab4444 said:

No yard in the UK has a dry dock facility suitable for QM2. This is why they usually go to Germany or the Netherlands.

She didn't need a dry dock to facilitate these repairs and they have been successfully completed in Southampton.

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

How did they cancel voyages to replace with Coronation cruise. The TA from Southampton was cancelled to facilitate repairs. After consultation with company doing repairs they knew when it would be completed. They wouldn't have enough time to get to New York to carry out 30th April TA to Southampton. Therefore rather than the ship sitting in Southampton doing nothing and not earning money they managed to arrange Coronation Cruise with a port stop at Liverpool. Good business practice especially in how Carnival are in such debt. They didn't use the issue to cancel cruises they had to get the ship repaired at Southampton. I am sure they would have preferred to carry on as scheduled and would have made far more money in doing so.

Aloha. If you say

20 hours ago, JSR said:

…… this is a perfect example of the double standard, while the guests already on the ship are enjoying their holiday, those that were not on the ship are left to their own devices to arrange housing as well as transportation with little notice. Not to mention those that are unable to fly either for health reasons or are traveling with dogs, etc. are truly in a predicament. I am happy for your friends however, compassion for those in more difficult situation is called for. 

Exactly this. Cunard did not inform anyone that an option to check-in and receive room, board and transportation would be made available. Only those already onboard, those who didn't receive the email cancellation, and those who ignored the email or were already at the pier received those benefits. The rest of us were abandoned with a “ sorry for the inconvenience” email. This is, intentional or not, definitely a double standard.

One can attempt a defense of Cunard with remarks such as “be prepared when traveling,” or “these things happen,” or “Cunard's T&C applies,” etc. But those remarks ignore the fact that not all were treated the same and that many of us incurred thousands of dollars to return home while others did not.

• Like 5

To add to my comments above, I'm sure that Cunard is aware of the double standard. In fact they know specifically which passengers received lodging and transportation assistance and which of us did not. At this point, the right thing for Cunard to do is offer reimbursement to those not assisted at a commensurate level to those who were. 

And yet, five days after the cancellation email, my only communication from them is an email with no message with a one page .pdf breakdown of my cruise fare attached. And even that breakdown isn't correct.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CaptRat said:

Exactly this. Cunard did not inform anyone that an option to check-in and receive room, board and transportation would be made available. Only those already onboard, those who didn't receive the email cancellation, and those who ignored the email or were already at the pier received those benefits. The rest of us were abandoned with a “ sorry for the inconvenience” email. This is, intentional or not, definitely a double standard.

One can attempt a defense of Cunard with remarks such as “be prepared when traveling,” or “these things happen,” or “Cunard's T&C applies,” etc. But those remarks ignore the fact that not all were treated the same and that many of us incurred thousands of dollars to return home while others did not.

I thought only those already onboard continuing to NY were able to stay onboard. Were some people arriving to begin their voyage allowed to board the ship in Southampton?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, majortom10 said:

How did they cancel voyages to replace with Coronation cruise. The TA from Southampton was cancelled to facilitate repairs. After consultation with company doing repairs they knew when it would be completed. They wouldn't have enough time to get to New York to carry out 30th April TA to Southampton. Therefore rather than the ship sitting in Southampton doing nothing and not earning money they managed to arrange Coronation Cruise with a port stop at Liverpool. Good business practice especially in how Carnival are in such debt. They didn't use the issue to cancel cruises they had to get the ship repaired at Southampton. I am sure they would have preferred to carry on as scheduled and would have made far more money in doing so.

I agree that Cunard had no choice but to cancel the WB TA. And that forced the cancellation of the EB as well. And as a Carnival shareholder, I appreciate that they're tying to bring in some money.

But for the people who had their crossings cancelled at the last minute with poor communication from Cunard, seeing the Coronation Cruise pop up so quickly must sting. Cunard should have offered that cruise to the affected passengers before sale to the general public as a "save your vacation" option as an alternative to the 20% FCC. 

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

I thought only those already onboard continuing to NY were able to stay onboard. Were some people arriving to begin their voyage allowed to board the ship in Southampton?

Yes, they were allowing international passengers to board.  I was invited, but declined because it was, according to the Cunard agent on the pier, only for one night  and that we would have to leave the next day.  We had already extended our stay at the hotel and since we were also told that there would be no assistance by Cunard on board to aid with outbound travel didn’t see the benefit.  As it turns out Cunard was helping stranded passengers on board with flight and transfers and continued to do so until at least yesterday.   

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, cagefreewill said:

Yes, they were allowing international passengers to board.  I was invited, but declined because it was, according to the Cunard agent on the pier, only for one night  and that we would have to leave the next day.  We had already extended our stay at the hotel and since we were also told that there would be no assistance by Cunard on board to aid with outbound travel didn’t see the benefit.  As it turns out Cunard was helping stranded passengers on board with flight and transfers and continued to do so until at least yesterday.   

Cunard were contractually obliged to 'look after' QM2 and QV existing passengers' onward travel as their plans had been interrupted. Plus, if UK package rules are the same in the US, those who had a complete Cunard package for joining the ship for the TA as their travel plans had also been interrupted.

However much morally it would be seen as doing the right thing, as far as I can see [and I would be more than pleased to be proved incorrect here] they were not obliged to sort out any 'overnighters' with non Cunard pre cruise arrangements as their travel with Cunard hadn't started.

I don't follow social media but I suppose unless a breakdown of passengers' travel arrangements, i.e. independent or totally Cunard booked can be made, it's somewhat difficult to wade through all the confusion.

Edited by Victoria2
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, CaptRat said:

Aloha. You are exactly right. The handling of the situation by Cunard was shameful 

• Like 1

I have followed this issue with interest and dismay.  I am a 10 time Cundarder, 9 on the QM2, 7 of those transatlantic, all from 2013 to 2019.  In my experience, the crew on the ship were always excellent (well, possibly with the occasional exception of the Purser's staff), but Cunard's administration is consistently appalling.  I had booked again once Cunard required Covid vaccinations for all passengers, but cancelled when they either wouldn't or couldn't tell me that they had the same requirement for their staff.  That was my choice.  I had been considering returning to my favourite, the QM2 Transatlantic, but this debacle gives me pause.

To paraphrase one correspondent, we should all hope for the best, but prepare for the worst.  It seems that Cunard failed to follow this.  Telling people that the sailing is cancelled on the day of sailing without a word of assistance for those already far from home was callous, cavalier and cruel. They must have know that this cancellation was a possibility. They may or may not have had a legal requirement to help, but their cold lack of empathy for their would-be passengers tells me that I do not want to risk being at the mercy of Cunard Corporate.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

What is a simple annoyance on top of all this is the exchange rate.. we paid £804 for the drinks package and cunard thinks a £790  refund is acceptable..  Even with the FCC it doesn't cover the same cruise in 2025 .. its an appalling response from Cunard .. Royal Carribbean are offering a 100% refund and same  holiday on a  recently over booked cruise...  Cunard need to step up....

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Reuben's 3rd said:

I have followed this issue with interest and dismay.  I am a 10 time Cundarder, 9 on the QM2, 7 of those transatlantic, all from 2013 to 2019.  In my experience, the crew on the ship were always excellent (well, possibly with the occasional exception of the Purser's staff), but Cunard's administration is consistently appalling.  I had booked again once Cunard required Covid vaccinations for all passengers, but cancelled when they either wouldn't or couldn't tell me that they had the same requirement for their staff.  That was my choice.  I had been considering returning to my favourite, the QM2 Transatlantic, but this debacle gives me pause.

To paraphrase one correspondent, we should all hope for the best, but prepare for the worst.  It seems that Cunard failed to follow this.  Telling people that the sailing is cancelled on the day of sailing without a word of assistance for those already far from home was callous, cavalier and cruel. They must have know that this cancellation was a possibility. They may or may not have had a legal requirement to help, but their cold lack of empathy for their would-be passengers tells me that I do not want to risk being at the mercy of Cunard Corporate.

Aloha. You are so correct 

• Like 3

On 4/27/2023 at 1:31 PM, Insights said:

I always welcome folks with opposite opinions, as it help all viewing to make their own decisions on what make sense to them. For the few that do not understand what it means making plans for the unexpected, they would do well to heed the words of the greatest statesman that ever lived, Winston Churchill... "Expect the best while making plans for the worst"... The only certainties in life are the uncertainty of it all.

Once again, you can make plans for the worst and still be frustrated or disappointed that the worst actually happens. These statements really aren’t helpful. 

42 minutes ago, Reuben's 3rd said:

...cold lack of empathy...

I can top that.  QM2 employess decided to move my $1600 mobility scooter while it was in park an locked position.  Destroyed the transmission and left me stranded.  They did offer me a measly $250 as compensation for my loss via Cunard Corporate.

P.S. I can't get off their mailing list for future cruises despite their many promisies to remove me from their list.

I won't be back!

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, 1980dory said:

...cold lack of empathy...

I can top that.  QM2 employess decided to move my $1600 mobility scooter while it was in park an locked position.  Destroyed the transmission and left me stranded.  They did offer me a measly $250 as compensation for my loss via Cunard Corporate.

P.S. I can't get off their mailing list for future cruises despite their many promisies to remove me from their list.

I won't be back!

Where was it parked? If in a legitimate place and they had no need to move it, if it happened on a S'ton based cruise, I'd take Cunard to a small claims court.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Victoria2 said:

Where was it parked? If in a legitimate place and they had no need to move it, if it happened on a S'ton based cruise, I'd take Cunard to a small claims court.

I'm tired of fighting.  It's over and I'm pretty worn out will all the cruise abuse. 

There are too many other vacation options at much less cost.  Jacked up prices on everything, poor service and food, can't get problems addressed, inconsistent answers,

interminable holds to talk to customer service, trying to talk to a computer, 

and listening to stupid cliches like "Sorry 'bout that",  and "no problem". Does anyone even think before they speak anymore?

Yes, I've done numerous transatlanic cruises on QM2, but I have done my last.

We arrived home late last evening and, following a 35 minute phone hold, was finally able to speak with Cunard customer service this afternoon.

According to the person I spoke with, those stranded should email an accounting of their expenses with receipts to guestrelations@cunard.com. No guarantee was given for any kind of compensation. Our cruise fare was refunded to the credit card this morning and I confirmed with customer service that the FCC used for a portion of the fare was also reinstated. However, the 20% FCC has yet to be calculated and added to our account. (Not that any FCC means much to us now as we'll probably never sail on Cunard again after this fiasco.) Also, one's Cunard World Club account is currently unavailable online without a booking (they're working on that and it will be available .... eventually.)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The problem is that cruises are treated same as holidays,  which is fair for vast majority of cruises which are round trips. However one way journeys such as TA should be treated the same as flights , ie cruise lines have responsibility to get you where you where going. 

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, Windsurfboy said:

The problem is that cruises are treated same as holidays,  which is fair for vast majority of cruises which are round trips. However one way journeys such as TA should be treated the same as flights , ie cruise lines have responsibility to get you where you where going. 

The US Passage contract contains [second paragraph of section 8]

[quote]

In the case of mechanical failures that cause the scheduled Voyage to be cancelled, You are entitled to a full refund of the Cruse Fare and the Taxes, Fees & Port Expenses; or for mechanical failures that cause a cruise to be terminated early, a partial refund of the Cruise Fare and any unused Taxes, Fees & Port Expenses, travel expense to transport You to the scheduled port of disembarkation or Your home city at Carrier's discretion, and overnight lodging if an unscheduled stopover is required.

[/quote]

It looks to me that the contract assigns responsibility to the carrier [Carnival/Cunard] to get you home or to the scheduled end of the trip - that would only apply if you have started the trip by at least checking in.

When my cruise on Queen Elizabeth was cancelled the day before sailing on March 15 2020 we had just arrived in Sydney by air. Cunard sent an email which said some one would contact us with hotel and new flights home. Never got the call. We had to arrange flights home and we sent Cunard an invoice for all out of pocket expenses for flights car travel for 600 kilometres car parking in Brisbane and meals for 24 hours before our flight to Brisbane. Cunard paid the lot as well as a full refund. It took 10 weeks to be paid. My advice to everyone is to claim for everything. It was Cunard’s mechanical fault and you should not be out of pocket

• Like 2

Looks like my refund was processed overnight as well.  I suppose that I’ll have to make a deposit to secure the re-booking that I made for April 2025.  I typically pay full balance when booking a cruise because of the additional protection that my credit card offers, but I think for this one I will wait until last possible minute.  I had no idea that Carnival was in such financial trouble until pointed out by several of you and now I’m worried whether  Cunard will even be around in two years.  I guess we shall see.  Plan for the worst and hope for the best.  LOL!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So it seems all's well, that ends well, for most of the WC passengers from QV and QM onboard and a few will enjoy the coronation cruise, which nobody I know, who tried to get on it, could, as it sold out in a matter of minutes... Nobody does a cruise like Cunard, unique in a quirky traditional British way from a Time Gone Bye... I like all cruises lines and sailed with most many times (and still do) but Cunard will always be my choice for cruises more than two weeks.. I hope you all enjoy future sailing on your ship of choice.😇 

• Like 1