Platinum dinner: Waiter padding bill even though it's $0.00 to me?

fstuff1

Dinner at Cagney's.

Friend ordered 7 layer cake, which includes a scoop of ice cream.

On the bill, there is a $9 charge for that ice cream. (She didn't order any additional scoops and there was only 1 scoop on her plate.)

Final bill is still $0.00.

I didn't catch this till I got to my cabin.

Does the restaurant dept get paid from CruiseNext dept for the Platinum dinners?

dawn cagney plat dinner padding.jpg

the "point" appears to be in the title of the thread. the OP wonders if the waiter or restaurant is somehow "padding" the bill and posits that it may be related to an internal charge and reimbursement for redemption of platinum dining certificates. "padding" may not be the most precise term here, as i don't think the OP is suggesting that there is anything sinister going on... the OP is just trying to figure out why there is a distinct $9 charge for ice cream on the bill. i don't believe there is a complaint at all.

carry on.

• Like 1

I think businesses do this when they give you something free so that you know the full cost of how generous they are being. For example, if my company allows someone in a related field to use our building, we might in the spirit of camaraderie let them use it for free, but we're going to send them the invoice so they know how nice we are, LOL.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, UKstages said:

the "point" appears to be in the title of the thread. the OP wonders if the waiter or restaurant is somehow "padding" the bill and posits that it may be related to an internal charge and reimbursement for redemption of platinum dining certificates. "padding" may not be the most precise term here, as i don't think the OP is suggesting that there is anything sinister going on... the OP is just trying to figure out why there is a distinct $9 charge for ice cream on the bill. i don't believe there is a complaint at all.

carry on.

Why is that an issue?  There are distinct charges for steaks, baked potatoes, etc.

• Like 1

OMG...if you're actually on the ship then why not just ASK THEM? You have the restaurant, the Latitudes reps, guest services, and even the General Manager RIGHT THERE.

Just ASK....🙄

• Like 3

I honestly never do anything with those but confirm the bottom line says zero and sign it.  Not sure what happens if I don't sign it, but likely nothing.

As others have suggested, those receipts are primarily marketing tools to convince some that they just received a very expensive dinner for free.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

Why is that an issue?

thank you so much for the question.

i don't believe it's an "issue" at all. perhaps the OP is simply curious. 

being as a scoop of ice cream is included with the cake (according to the OP), that is to say it's part of the dessert as detailed on the menu, it's a very good question... why is there an additional charge? if it were a $21 slice of cake, i could see them breaking out the charges separately for inventory tracking, but the slice of cake, with a scoop of ice cream is apparently supposed to be only $12.

23 hours ago, SeaShark said:

OMG...if you're actually on the ship then why not just ASK THEM? You have the restaurant, the Latitudes reps, guest services, and even the General Manager RIGHT THERE.

Just ASK....🙄

Right?  I know sometimes CC can answer a question faster then making a phone call but still.  

On a travel message board once (not CC) and someone asked a health related question with their symptoms.  They ended it with, "Should I go to the emergency room?"  If you need to ask that question you probably should go.  Or at the very least call your own doctor.  Don't wait for us keyboard jockeys to diagnose you and then get back to you.  

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, jimsig said:

Right?  I know sometimes CC can answer a question faster then making a phone call but still.  

On a travel message board once (not CC) and someone asked a health related question with their symptoms.  They ended it with, "Should I go to the emergency room?"  If you need to ask that question you probably should go.  Or at the very least call your own doctor.  Don't wait for us keyboard jockeys to diagnose you and then get back to you.  

Or if you have enough time to way for random internet people to diagnose you; you almost certainly don't have to go to the emergency room. 

On 5/2/2023 at 5:00 PM, Cruise5life said:

I don’t do specialty dinning.   But don’t they add a gratuity on the price???   Or is that already added?   If they added items that would raise the gratuities.  Right ??      

Gratuities are paid upfront on the cost of the dining package (whether purchased or as a promo). The gratuity on the bill will be zero, unless there are any items not covered by the package, so adding this makes no difference to that.

Edited by KeithJenner

19 hours ago, jimsig said:

1 hour ago, sanger727 said:

Or if you have enough time to way for random internet people to diagnose you; you almost certainly don't have to go to the emergency room. 

The thing you have to remember here is that the OP is actually onboard the ship.

To use the emergency room analogy, this is like asking random internet people for a diagnosis when you are already IN the emergency room.

Besides, this OP isn't really looking for answers or advice. Read his history...this OP likes to start random off-beat topics framed in such a way to induce multiple argumentative responses (iow, threads designed to go "viral"). Why ask people who are literally right there, when you can post on the Internet and potentially cause a message board dust up over nothing?

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, roger001 said:

Although the meals are "free", the prices per item are going up, up, up. One crab cake $19 now.  And that scoop of icecream $9?   Is anyone actually paying for these meals?  

Prices always rise when someone else is paying the bill (ie the items are "free"). This is why medical care is so very expensive...as long as insurance pays for it, who care what the individual prices are?

5 hours ago, KeithJenner said:

Gratuities are paid upfront on the cost of the dining package (whether purchased or as a promo). The gratuity on the bill will be zero, unless there are any items not covered by the package, so adding this makes no difference to that.

Expect that this was a platinum dinner, so at no cost and not gratuity charge to the OP. My guess is that the waiter was looking for a tip.