Unfair Sanctuary Practice

SW.FloridaPhil

On 5/2/2023 at 3:43 PM, Mike45LC said:

I hate to say this but Princess needs to increase the price of Sanctuary until supply equals demand.  

That's what NCL did with their Vibe Beach Club.  It was originally about 59-79 for the one week pass pp and now is about 239 or more depending upon the length of your cruise.  It used to be a first come first served race on embarkation day and now can be purchased ahead of time online.  There is no easy answer.

3 hours ago, capriccio said:

The Sanctuary is demarcated by a fence or short wall and has an entry gate.  It is a place of solitude and quiet.  These pictures (which I found by googling Princess Sanctuary images) are of the Caribbean Princess.  When we were in the Sanctuary on it in January 2022 they had new furniture but at least this will give you an idea of the set up.

https://www.cruisecritic.com/photos/ships/caribbean-princess-303/the-sanctuary-215794/the-sanctuary--v10850992/

I will admit that when I have been in there with our friends Kathy and Bernie we have not always been super quiet!  Still respectful but we do chat. 

My husband will tell you I talk too much! Lol

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

I was actually suggesting the entire bidding system was based on half day rentals. Highest half day rental bid gets first choice.  They might reserve a lounger for every day, all day of the cruise. It’s going on cost them a lot, but they’ll get exactly what they want.  Or they might just choose one afternoon on one day, Then it goes to the second highest bid, and down the line.

@caribill, it could be held in the hour just prior to sailaway, or by notIfication on the app, but I think the hour prior to sailaway would work best. Yes, it requires everyone to be at the Sanctuary at a certain tIme, but so does the existing system. It doesn’t have people rushing on the ship, it doesn’t favor B2B or Elite passengers (Princess should like that part the best, since they’re all about first time cruisers), and it provides a higher revenue stream (Princess should like that second best). 

I think only full days should be sold on the first day and if any loungers remain unsold then on the 2nd day they should be sold.  I should be able to reap the benefits next year because I will be on a B2B and hope to get the sanctuary on the better days on my 2nd trip

10 hours ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

That's what NCL did with their Vibe Beach Club.  It was originally about 59-79 for the one week pass pp and now is about 239 or more depending upon the length of your cruise.  It used to be a first come first served race on embarkation day and now can be purchased ahead of time online.  There is no easy answer.

Give it a little time and the new price will be accepted as normal. People quickly forget and things will be back to what they were before the increase. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/6/2023 at 6:43 AM, Kay S said:

I hope someone answers your questions in detail because I do not know what the fuss is all about (not being a Sanctuary devotee myself.)

The Sanctuary is the only place that is guaranteed to be child-free, which makes it relatively quiet and relaxing.  That's the primary appeal for us.  And yes, I would advocate raising the price.  We would pay more for that little slice of tranquility, which is quite important to us.  A higher price should discourage passengers who are ambivalent, which would make it easier to get a spot.

• Like 1

Isn't the Sanctuary the place that the "New Love Boat" contestants met and "got to know each other"?

On 5/5/2023 at 1:41 PM, Carol28 said:

I am unfamiliar with the Sanctuary. It looks like it is completely enclosed like the Solariums on the RCCL and Celebrity ships. Is that accurate?  Do people mingle up there or is it a quiet place? 

On 5/5/2023 at 2:38 PM, capriccio said:

The Sanctuary is demarcated by a fence or short wall and has an entry gate.  It is a place of solitude and quiet.  These pictures (which I found by googling Princess Sanctuary images) are of the Caribbean Princess.  When we were in the Sanctuary on it in January 2022 they had new furniture but at least this will give you an idea of the set up.

https://www.cruisecritic.com/photos/ships/caribbean-princess-303/the-sanctuary-215794/the-sanctuary--v10850992/

We sailed a few times, no longer on Princess.  With the exception of the Sanctuary, the ship pool area is so crowded.  It is crazy that they do not have a really nice adult pool area or a suite deck.  The idea that they have this area for a few guests is crazy.  The fact that you pay additional is also a problem.  But they are carnival cruises.  

We now only cruise on Celebrity or Royal Oasis class ships.

Guest ldtr
1 hour ago, Cruise a holic said:

We sailed a few times, no longer on Princess.  With the exception of the Sanctuary, the ship pool area is so crowded.  It is crazy that they do not have a really nice adult pool area or a suite deck.  The idea that they have this area for a few guests is crazy.  The fact that you pay additional is also a problem.  But they are carnival cruises.  

The Royal class ships have the retreat pool area which is adults only. Open to all adults.

1 minute ago, ldtr said:

The Royal class ships have the retreat pool area which is adults only. Open to all adults.

You do have to get there early in the day (or on port days to get a chair).

Guest ldtr
1 hour ago, MissP22 said:

You do have to get there early in the day (or on port days to get a chair).

Yes and no. Sometimes crowded, sometimes not  Usually less busy than main pool area.

But it is a nice adult area that is mostly quiet.

2 hours ago, ldtr said:

Yes and no. Sometimes crowded, sometimes not  Usually less busy than main pool area.

But it is a nice adult area that is mostly quiet.

Anyplace is better than the main pool with the MUTS going all day long. 

• Like 4

On 5/5/2023 at 12:36 PM, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

The only real solution is to raise prices and have all reservations be fully non-refundable. Low cost of entry as well as not charging for no-shows is the biggest problem. 1/2 day passes should be eliminated. Also day passes should not get to select a specific lounger/location until they arrive to the Sanctuary on the day then it is first come first served for choice of loungers.

Heres my serious proposal of changes I would make:

1. Full cruise passes pre-bookable at 90 days for all guests  Full cruise Cabana pricing $200/pp/day for two guests, additional guests $100/pp/day max 4 guests. Choose cabana at time of booking. Cabanas only pre-bookable for full cruise.  Full cruise Lounger pricing $60/day, with ability to pre-select loungers on boarding day by going to Sanctuary first come first served. Limited # of full cruise passes pre-bookable.

2. Daily passes pre-bookable at 90 days for all guests. Full day only - $100/pp/day sea days, $80/pp/day port days. Loungers only reservable first come first served on the day of reservation. Limited # of daily passes pre-bookable, no daily passes pre-bookable for turnaround days. 

3. Full cruise & Day passes refundable if cancelled up to 7 days prior to boarding, or once onboard can cancel up to 7pm on boarding day only.  No refunds for no-show on the day. 

4. Limited Full cruise Cabana, Full cruise and Day passes available once onboard, first come first served at same price as above. Daily cabana rates, if space still available at $50/pp/day more than full cruise pricing. No 1/2 day passes. No refunds for no-show on the day. 

Raising the pricing, limiting when and how loungers are selected, having an associated cost for leaving space empty and eliminating 1/2 day passes all seem the most sensical way to manage the limited resource of the Sanctuary. 

You are definitely hitting the pain receptors with the proposed pricing.

19 minutes ago, Cruise a holic said:

Yes!  The ship’s layout is much better. Multiple theaters with various shows. Last time we sailed on princess, we couldn’t get seats not only at pool (require shade) we couldn’t get seats in theatre unless we came at least 1/2 hour in advance

That's typical of all the Princess ships. 

13 hours ago, Cruise a holic said:

You'll like the new upcoming Sun Princess then...it has a new area of the Sanctuary just for Suite guests, just like you mention.

On 5/5/2023 at 3:20 PM, donaldsc said:

So looking at the photos and from what I have read on this thread the sanctuary is a special area where I have to pay at least $40 per person per day to have a reserved seat after I have paid a lot of money just to get onto the ship.  If I want to have the opportunity to sit next to my spouse I have to rent 2 spaces which will be $80 per day unless I rent what looks like one of those double loungers.  Then when I want to have some of the "free" food I have to pay $3 per order to have it delivered.  I assume that the person who delivers my free food also expects a tip for the service.  In addition when I get on board I have to rush like crazy to the sancutary in the unlikely chance that I might actually get one of the few available spots.  

I just want to be sure that I have it right.

DON

On the last cruise I got to take with my late wife, the Sanctuary area was an absolute godsend. By the time we got to take that cruise, she was in so much pain, that she was pretty much confined to a wheelchair. If it took her a little while longer to get ready in the morning due to having to take breaks, then no biggie as our loungers would be waiting and available for us. It also helped that the loungers had extra padding that helped lessen the pain in her legs. Whilst there, we were very much looked after by the very attentive crew in that area. It definitely made that last cruise more enjoyable and more bearable for us. 

We boarded pretty early as we were both Elite, but had to queue for an elevator at San Pedro to get us up to the boarding ramp. That wasted a little time. I left her at Bellini’s (we were on the Royal) with a glass of bubbles and I hightailed it up to Sanctuary. There were a few people ahead of me, but when my turn came, there was still a pair of loungers available for the whole week, right at the front and under lots of shade, which suited us perfectly, so I grabbed those for us.

Given the circumstances, it was definitely money well spent and I don’t recall ever being charged the $3 delivery fee for food and as for afternoon tea…. 😍

Edited by polmcs
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

How about the pools with all the unruly rug rats all over the place?

That was not our experience, except at the kids-specific pool.  But we spent most of our time in the adults only area (for free), including eating at the cafe there with its healthier food options. But we also haven’t returned….to the Royal Princess or the Allure OTS. Big ships are just not my favorite way to vacation. 

We regularly cruise on Princess and Celebrity.  One of the primary reasons we sail Princess is the Sanctuary.  I hate having to compete on the first day and would gladly pay more to not have to.  Or have the comprehensive reservation system put forward by someone a couple of pages ago.    Personally we will likely not book Princess until the new Sun comes out and we can just pay to be on the Cabana Deck and not have to deal with all the silliness.  🙂

image.thumb.jpeg.f262da28bd115e96f30e5f940ffcc514.jpeg

34 minutes ago, deultgen said:

Personally we will likely not book Princess until the new Sun comes out and we can just pay to be on the Cabana Deck and not have to deal with all the silliness.  🙂

Bookings for the initial European season have been open for a few months and bookings for the first Caribbean season opened up a few weeks ago.

Wow....  seven pages... about loungers.  Yes, are things getting more back to normal here!!!

We enjoy the Sanctuary!   And, have had luck, boarding early, getting loungers.

I think the biggest complaint here is possibly, back to back cruisers can book up all of the loungers.  The solution for that is simple.   At least half of the Sanctuary should be kept available to those boarding that sailing.  There should be at least a 50/50 opportunity for those just boarding.

The number of loungers offered to those on the previous sailing should be capped at half of the loungers.

This gives back to back cruisers two chances to reserve the Sanctuary.

Once, when they first board,

Second when reservations are made available to them prior to the second leg.

If they do not have any luck, then at least they had two chances.

Nothing is totally fair.  but this would at least level the playing field,

Those just boarding should at least have one half of the loungers available.

It is the frustration of knowing that it is a complete shut-out, and that you don't feel like you have a chance.  That is the worst.  That is what Princess should try to address.

As far as increasing the price,  if there were those who were willing to pay a much higher price, I suspect that the Cabanas in the Sanctuary very rarely sell out.

Edited by Wishing on a star