Caution when using Upgrade Program

Jim_Iain

It the past we have never had a problem with the upgrade program.  Last weekend we were advised we had been upgraded to a RS from our CS.

The next day I got an e-mail saying I had a balance due of about $400.   Click here to see details.  I just leads you to the list of your cruises and even when I opened the cruise couldn't see anything or any way to pay.   I then got another saying my excursions would be cancelled unless I paid immediately.   Crazy because they would be refunding me for the Eden Reservations I had since I would now get under unlimited specialty dining.

I then looked at cruise planner and saw my entire remaining OBC had been blown away.    Calling from Amsterdam would be possible using wifi calling but elected to reach out to shore-side Concierge.

She was able to clear it up.  Reinstate the OBC and credited my Specialty Dining..   Now I have about 1,200 NR  obc to burn through.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

7 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

It the past we have never had a problem with the upgrade program.  Last weekend we were advised we had been upgraded to a RS from our CS.

The next day I got an e-mail saying I had a balance due of about $400.   Click here to see details.  I just leads you to the list of your cruises and even when I opened the cruise couldn't see anything or any way to pay.   I then got another saying my excursions would be cancelled unless I paid immediately.   Crazy because they would be refunding me for the Eden Reservations I had since I would now get under unlimited specialty dining.

I then looked at cruise planner and saw my entire remaining OBC had been blown away.    Calling from Amsterdam would be possible using wifi calling but elected to reach out to shore-side Concierge.

She was able to clear it up.  Reinstate the OBC and credited my Specialty Dining..   Now I have about 1,200 NR  obc to burn through.

Was this as part of the Move up programme @Jim_Iain? Did you get a good deal? Have just bid on a R/S from our Sky suite but not holding out much hope as it’s a low bid! 

22 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Hello,

Can I ask what was the origin of your OBC and, if you know, the reasoning for its removal?

I have a bid outstanding for an upgrade but also have lots of OBC too that originated from 'Cruise with confidence' and converting refund/FCC to OBC. I don't want to pay for an upgrade and lose the OBC.

Regards,

Cublet

14 hours ago, Les43 said:

Was this as part of the Move up programme @Jim_Iain? Did you get a good deal? Have just bid on a R/S from our Sky suite but not holding out much hope as it’s a low bid! 

I wouldn't call it a good deal but a much better than if I had paid full price for a RS.   I think it came to about 5,500 total extra.

I also bid on a upgrade for Alex and Evelyn fro a AQ to SkySuite.    There were 35 available day before they closed the cruise.    I had already gotten Suites Access for them so they basically have all the benefits.    It sells for 100 pp per day.     The minimum for the upgrade for this cruise was 1,300 pp and I bid 1,500 but got rejected.    They have no priority so maybe why. 

8 minutes ago, cublet said:

Hello,

Can I ask what was the origin of your OBC and, if you know, the reasoning for its removal?

I have a bid outstanding for an upgrade but also have lots of OBC too that originated from 'Cruise with confidence' and converting refund/FCC to OBC. I don't want to pay for an upgrade and lose the OBC.

Regards,

Cublet

I had a combination of Booking On Board, Stockholders Credit and a special promotion credit for the NR.    Of course the OBC varies by booking classification.   My agent applies and additional RF at about 8-9%

They quickly reinstated the OBC and apologized for the "System Error"

6 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

I also bid on a upgrade for Alex and Evelyn fro a AQ to SkySuite.    There were 35 available day before they closed the cruise.    I had already gotten Suites Access for them so they basically have all the benefits.    It sells for 100 pp per day.    

I'm new to Celebrity, have my first 2 trips with them booked for later this year and 2024 so trying to find out all the nuances and tips/tricks with sailing with them.

"Suites Access" - is that for non-Retreat guests to be able to utilize the Retreat only areas? For our upcoming Thanksgiving trip, hubby & I are in the Retreat, MIL is by herself in the Retreat, and another family member is considering tagging along but on the fence about Retreat pricing. If it's possible for them to pay for the pass at $400 to sit on the sundeck with us at eat at Luminae, that is certainly a better option for them than the 2K+ it would cost to join MIL in her room.

On 5/14/2023 at 2:54 AM, Jim_Iain said:

I wouldn't call it a good deal but a much better than if I had paid full price for a RS.   I think it came to about 5,500 total extra.

I also bid on a upgrade for Alex and Evelyn fro a AQ to SkySuite.    There were 35 available day before they closed the cruise.    I had already gotten Suites Access for them so they basically have all the benefits.    It sells for 100 pp per day.     The minimum for the upgrade for this cruise was 1,300 pp and I bid 1,500 but got rejected.    They have no priority so maybe why. 

I have never heard of being able to purchase suite access.  Does that mean  if I am in the suites I can pay for friends to participate in what we can?  

On 5/14/2023 at 2:17 PM, Sailing12Away said:

I'm new to Celebrity, have my first 2 trips with them booked for later this year and 2024 so trying to find out all the nuances and tips/tricks with sailing with them.

"Suites Access" - is that for non-Retreat guests to be able to utilize the Retreat only areas? For our upcoming Thanksgiving trip, hubby & I are in the Retreat, MIL is by herself in the Retreat, and another family member is considering tagging along but on the fence about Retreat pricing. If it's possible for them to pay for the pass at $400 to sit on the sundeck with us at eat at Luminae, that is certainly a better option for them than the 2K+ it would cost to join MIL in her room.

they have a limited number of spots depending on ship.     It is about $100 pp per day.  It may be limited to a family member traveling.   Not sure if related to suite level. 

they get access to Luminea, Retreat and Retreat Sundeck. 

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Like 2

On 5/13/2023 at 11:50 AM, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

Amazing how Celebrity's crack IT system can F things up!

hc are you suggesting that X's IT system is on drugs???

LOL

bon voyage

• Haha 2

On 5/13/2023 at 9:04 AM, Jim_Iain said:

This happened to me just after covid.  I had a lot of onboard credit and as we didn't know if we'd be able to do our own thing I'd book several discounted trips with our onboard credit.  My move-up offer was excepted and then my on-board credit disappeared and email after email asking for money for my trips or I would lose them.  It took me many 2 days on the phone until I eventually reached someone who could help me who reinstated my discounted trips and returned the lost onboard credit as well.  I complained after as I was sent from pillar to post but no apology came my way!  didn't put me off though