On board Emerald princess now

lion1956

8 hours ago, startedwithamouse said:

We had 30 days on the Emerald earlier this year, and had the best experience. Much better than anything on the Discovery (LA is our home port).  

I agree. We LOVED our TA on the Emerald Princess last November. We just sailed a 4 day coastal on the Discovery and the ship left me cold. We quite liked the Majestic, but that was last year at 30-40% capacity. Obviously most of us here know there is a very different vibe on a longer cruise, but aside from that the Emerald has so many lovely quiet areas to enjoy. We are looking at a Panama Canal cruise soon mostly because we like the ship so much.

• Like 2

Ok lemme understand…no one cleaned up your mess after you ate or cleaned up your room.  Your food was always available wherever.  You also cleaned up after you didn’t cook or anything else.  What am I missing? 

The buffet is often closer to my cabin when my wife sends me for cookies... 😎

Also, we rarely get up early enough to have breakfast in MDR but then again we are often content with something from IC. Even when we do go to the buffet we don't eat a lot nor do we pile the plates full and then leave it to be thrown away. I truly do wish Princess would make good American Bacon though. And those things they call hash browns... What the heck are they smoking?

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Thrak said:

The buffet is often closer to my cabin when my wife sends me for cookies... 😎

Also, we rarely get up early enough to have breakfast in MDR but then again we are often content with something from IC. Even when we do go to the buffet we don't eat a lot nor do we pile the plates full and then leave it to be thrown away. I truly do wish Princess would make good American Bacon though. And those things they call hash browns... What the heck are they smoking?

We have as Keats called the hash browns “ hockey pucks”

• Like 2

On 5/23/2023 at 2:16 AM, MissP22 said:

It sound typical of a Princess cruise. 

33 Princess Cruises and you never know the exact makeup of the passengers. Did 8 Tahiti and 12 Caribbean cruises and tends to be more active passengers.

Physical and age of passengers we ignore we just like having a good time with people on the ship

• Like 1

11 hours ago, BamaVol said:

You might be surprised since it’s been so long since you visited the buffet.  We were not allowed to touch serving utensils.  There are crew members manning each station and serving you.  The chances of finger dipping are greatly reduced.  

I'm not a big fan of buffets myself.  We are usually satisfied with a single plate of food but the variety is one appeal beyond those who simply wish to “get their money’s worth”.

It hasn't been that way on the Enchanted for quite a while. self service has been in effect at least since Dec 2022.

10 hours ago, Happiest when cruising said:

The attraction is that you don’t need to spend so much time sitting the MDR, or put on pants or a dress or whatever it is you think is suitable for the MDR. I like to be able to grab something quick in my casual daytime attire. 

On casual evenings whatever you're wearing during the day is suitable for the DR, except bathing suits.

38 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

It hasn't been that way on the Enchanted for quite a while. self service has been in effect at least since Dec 2022.

It may have been a reaction to the noro outbreak on the sailing prior to ours.  I had assumed it was fleetwide.  Given the levels of sickness I’m reading about, it might be wise to extend it to all ships, all sailings.

What I like about the buffet is having the ability to take small samples of various offerings, deciding which one 'floats my boat' that day and going back for more of that dish.  I do not like having to eat a dish in the MDR just because it sounded good on the menu but wasn't so good on the table.  But as @Lady Arwen has been writing, having the choice of dining options is what I appreciate when cruising.  

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Daniel A said:

What I like about the buffet is having the ability to take small samples of various offerings, deciding which one 'floats my boat' that day and going back for more of that dish.  I do not like having to eat a dish in the MDR just because it sounded good on the menu but wasn't so good on the table.  But as @Lady Arwen has been writing, having the choice of dining options is what I appreciate when cruising.  

Don't forget there are times when the DR just doesn't have at least one main course that's interesting and there's always something decent at the buffet. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MissP22 said:

Don't forget there are times when the DR just doesn't have at least one main course that's interesting and there's always something decent at the buffet. 

This sets up an interesting dynamic when the Sun Class ships roll out.  There are times when the only thing stopping us from walking out of the MDR to head to the buffet is the distance and inconvenience.  When the Buffet and MDR are closer to one another on these ships, the decision to make the walk becomes much easier!

• Like 1

I just spend 18 days on Emerald and this wasn't my experience at all, I mean it wasn't perfect, but if you can find me what is, then I applaud!  We did like to joke on our cruise as the only time there was a lineup for the MDR was at 4:30 everyone waiting to get in for 5pm dining and the number of scooters and walkers parked as we went in around 6:00.  Those seniors, walkers or scooters didn't affect my cruise in the least.  But again, who else can generally take almost 3 weeks to go on a cruise unless you are retired, I am lucky that I have that much vacation at work that I can.  I actually find it very rude and disrespectful to call out such demographics, as you have no idea what that person's story is.

I am sorry you are not enjoying your cruise, but without specific details and only providing generalized statements you will not win favour in this forum.  I hope you can let go some and enjoy what is left of your vacation.

• Like 12

13 hours ago, mrmarklin said:

The hash browns ARE a problem. 

You want good hash browns, go to Waffle House. Princess hash browns are like McDonalds.  They’re designed to cook efficiently.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, BamaVol said:

You want good hash browns, go to Waffle House. Princess hash browns are like McDonalds.  They’re designed to cook efficiently.

Put a 24/7 Waffle House on the cruise ship - pay venue , ala carte, - place would be packed day and night ...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, voljeep said:

Put a 24/7 Waffle House on the cruise ship - pay venue , ala carte, - place would be packed day and night ...

That would be exciting. There’s room at the back of the buffet. 

23 hours ago, Lady Arwen said:

We haven’t done buffets in years.  We just don’t get the attraction.  Is it because you can fill up the plates?  Is it because if you don’t like it, you don’t eat it and just get something else?  We would much rather sit down and have someone serve us what we want.  

I hate spending over an hour and a half going into the MDR for lunch.  And the MDR lunch menu isn’t thrilling.  And the MDR lunches are often not hot.  ( I go to the MDR for lunch once each cruise to check it out.)

For lunch, I usually end up making a salad at the buffet or grabbing something from the Grill.

• Like 5

Your cruise will be ending in two days. I would be interested to read your follow up as we will be on the Emerald this summer.

Did you buy the Plus or Premium package? Was it worth it to you?

You posted elsewhere you were looking to book another cruise onboard.

Did your dismay stop you. Which cruise line will you consider in the future? TIA

Edited by mtnesterz

26 minutes ago, Mike45LC said:

I hate spending over an hour and a half going into the MDR for lunch.  And the MDR lunch menu isn’t thrilling.  And the MDR lunches are often not hot.  ( I go to the MDR for lunch once each cruise to check it out.)

For lunch, I usually end up making a salad at the buffet or grabbing something from the Grill.

We seem to book mostly excursions that are full day, so lots of lunches are off the ships.  We’ve never had a problem with MDR lunches.  We also like to pick up a few things from the IC and eat lunch on our balcony with a glass of wine.  Alfredo’s is also a nice place to eat lunch.  Buffets are just not our thing, but I know others love it.

48 minutes ago, mtnesterz said:

Your cruise will be ending in two days. I would be interested to read your follow up as we will be on the Emerald this summer.

OP hasn't been back since starting this thread, so I'm not so sure he'll be back to update.