Ovation vs quantum ships

So I am actually on a cruise right now, and we are thinking about going down to the next cruise kiosk and booking an Alaskan cruise while we are here so we can get on board credits but we not sure if we want to book the ovation or the quantum. Is there anyone that can tell me which ship is better for families with teens and exactly how cold is an Alaskan cruise if we book for July next year?

There is no difference that would matter to a teenager.  They both have everything that a teen would like. As far a weather is concerned Alaska is a crap shoot.  I've been three times and the weather has never been great.  The first time was the third week of July and weather was rubbish.  We've in late august twice and once it was good and once it was fair.  It was cool every time but I wouldn't say cold.  No matter when you book you need to be ready for bad weather.

EDIT to add:  Alaska is an amazing experience and even if weather isn't great you will not regret the experience.

Edited by Tree_skier
  • Like 4

5 minutes ago, workstocruise said:

Can someone tell me if a reservation is needed for the bumper cars? First time on this ship class and traveling with grandkids. Thanks.

No, just turn up and ride. There may be a small queue, but each ride only lasts around 3 minutes.

• Like 1

I've been on many cruises to Alaska over the years on Radiance, Explorer, Ovation, and another line. Love the Quantum class for Alaska. Traveled in May, June, and August. You never know about the weather.  Just returned last week and it ranged from 60s to gorgeous mid-70s. 

• Like 1

By the pool...

Quantum has the Noodle Shop.

Ovation has the Fish and Ships.

* There are a couple of items at each venue that are complimentary...I love the free fish sandwich and crispy fries.

18 minutes ago, workstocruise said:

Thanks for info on bumper cars.  I like not having to make reservations!

The only show reservations I remember on Ovation was for the show in 270.  You also need to make reservations for iFly and the Northstar.  Do that as quick as you can for best times.  Seadays you pay for and port days are free on the Northstar.  

Edited by Tree_skier

13 minutes ago, bonsai3s said:

By the pool...

* There are a couple of items at each venue that are complimentary...I love the free fish sandwich and crispy fries.

The Noodle Shop is back?  It was not open on our Alaska sailing last year.

25 minutes ago, bonsai3s said:

By the pool...

I think the Noodle shop is Johnny Rockets when sailing in the U.S.  

44 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

It wasn’t open last year when we were on the Quantum.  It was just closed, no Johnny Rockets, nothing.

2 hours ago, reallyitsmema said:

We were on the Quantum recently...Brisbane to Vancouver...the Noodle Shop was open.

• Like 1

We did Ovation Alaska last year followed by a 10 night Quantum three days later.  Food wise Ovation  was far better in every included venue. Specialties were great on both ships.  Everyday the line was huge for the bumper cars. We waited until day two to make reservations for the free Northstar and it was booked solid for the week, on day three we tried to book the pay Northstar and likewise it was booked solid.  We sailed in Sep. and the flowrider was open a couple of days.  Only show reservation needed was for 1 show in two70 and they never checked anyone as you walked in. Crew on Ovation seemed much happier. We mostly have sailed Oasis Class over the last few years and Quantum Class has very little for teens compared to Oasis Class. 

Choose the best itinerary.  Look carefully at times in each port.  Some had a late or short stop in Victoria, some spend more time there.  Look at times in each of the other ports.  Pay attention to arrival time and departure time.  

12 hours ago, bonsai3s said:

By the pool...

When Quantum is in Alaska, the noodle shop turns into Splashaway Cafe I believe. 

14 hours ago, Tree_skier said:

The only show reservations I remember on Ovation was for the show in 270.  You also need to make reservations for iFly and the Northstar.  Do that as quick as you can for best times.  Seadays you pay for and port days are free on the Northstar.  

We are on the Quantum in a few weeks.  iFly and Northstar have been sold out for several weeks now. I wish I would have made a reservation but missed the chance. All the shows are sold out, breakout room sold out. I think the ship is going to be totally full for the sailing.  

1 hour ago, Jumping Cruiser said:

When Quantum is in Alaska, the noodle shop turns into Splashaway Cafe I believe. 

For our Quantum Alaska sailing last year, it was used as an area to sell warm clothing, fleece blankets and binoculars.  No food.

19 hours ago, Tntt said:

So I am actually on a cruise right now, and we are thinking about going down to the next cruise kiosk and booking an Alaskan cruise while we are here so we can get on board credits but we not sure if we want to book the ovation or the quantum. Is there anyone that can tell me which ship is better for families with teens and exactly how cold is an Alaskan cruise if we book for July next year?

I've cruised both to Alaska in the last couple years.  They are exactly the same regarding families and teens.  Personally, I slightly prefer Ovation.  It was hard to put my finger on why, but somehow, Ovation just felt nicer.  Maybe because on my last Quantum cruise, several of the digital art displays were broken.  I recommend booking the one with the itinerary you more prefer.  If itineraries are the same, I'd lean toward Ovation.  

On 5/26/2023 at 2:59 PM, workstocruise said:

Can someone tell me if a reservation is needed for the bumper cars? First time on this ship class and traveling with grandkids. Thanks.

no reservations required. There is at least one time when it is only opened to teenagers.

On 5/27/2023 at 9:11 AM, reallyitsmema said:

For our Quantum Alaska sailing last year, it was used as an area to sell warm clothing, fleece blankets and binoculars.  No food.

There was food on my May Quantum cruise last year.

image.thumb.jpeg.0b830de3d65ec659f4547da21f27a372.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.bc4d39409ac9efad803f553a3223eac7.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.fdc40d9ccc19b7439bad07eb801923c8.jpeg

QN2205-10.thumb.jpg.1dfdf11386034d90f7535426cce039ea.jpg

QN2205-11.thumb.jpg.904ca179576b25318dc66fb433dbd757.jpg

QN2205-12.thumb.jpg.83c34c51be223477e89257a182842c4c.jpg

On the day at the glacier they made a shop for Alaska stuff, hats, gloves, binoculars, etc.  just outside of the Noodle venue.

image.thumb.jpeg.57a66e8ad90883f6162477f402eccde7.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.b450fa2c02ef8b285ff508baf03a0137.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.750af9fd3469b9c315be7b82a42e1ff0.jpeg

• Like 2