If you’re on the classic package, what’s the update charge for top shelf liquors like Jack Daniels?

cruisestitch

Sort of off the topic, but if you have the classic package and order premium wine in the MDR, how do they charge the difference, for each glass or only once? I have been upgrading recently,  but new rules say that DH and DD would have to also and they don’t want to. 

1 hour ago, SSAtlantic said:

Sort of off the topic, but if you have the classic package and order premium wine in the MDR, how do they charge the difference, for each glass or only once? I have been upgrading recently,  but new rules say that DH and DD would have to also and they don’t want to. 

Yeah, the new rules  that both have to upgrade to premium suck.  My wife doesn't drink much if anything on the premium.  I called and got a waiver so I could just upgrade myself.

1 minute ago, Wineaux007 said:

Yeah, the new rules  that both have to upgrade to premium suck.  My wife doesn't drink much if anything on the premium.  I called and got a waiver so I could just upgrade myself.

How did you do that? What kind of waiver? They both want the classic and make good use of it.🤣

Does anyone know if they serve Blantons on board the Summit and how much that would cost?  Also, if we have the premium beverage package, would we only be charged the amount above $17 (plus tip)?  My boyfriend is a bourbon drinker and Blantons is his favorite.  We don't sail till 2025, so we have time to find our own bottle and bring it on board if necessary.  🙂

• Haha 1

I can't find a current price list online or in the app; they just list what's in each package. The high end of the classic package is $10 (US sailings) and the high end of premium is $17 (also US sailings; the limits are higher for UK and AUS where gratuities are included). So at the extreme for liquor costing $17, the upcharge would be $8.40 ($7 + 20% gratuity).

I "assume" that for true top shelf that it's the same formula: cost of the drink - $10 times 1.2. I'd have to really dig into the rules to understand if they charge full price on true premium drinks. I don't think so, but I could be wrong.

And sorry, I'd consider JD a "call" liquor, not top shelf. In some bars it's in the well, but not on a cruise ship.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, olemissreb said:

Does anyone know if they serve Blantons on board the Summit and how much that would cost?  Also, if we have the premium beverage package, would we only be charged the amount above $17 (plus tip)?  My boyfriend is a bourbon drinker and Blantons is his favorite.  We don't sail till 2025, so we have time to find our own bottle and bring it on board if necessary.  🙂

Blanton's is not currently on any X ship... to my knowledge otherwise I would have been ordering it...

Additionally, passengers can only bring wine aboard and not hard liquor. 

Were I not know this and had it confiscated at the luggage scan or in the naughty room, it would be quite a hard decision as to if I were going on that sailing as I love my Blanton's... LOL

Cheers and bon voyage

5 minutes ago, markeb said:

I can't find a current price list online or in the app; they just list what's in each package. The high end of the classic package is $10 (US sailings) and the high end of premium is $17 (also US sailings; the limits are higher for UK and AUS where gratuities are included). So at the extreme for liquor costing $17, the upcharge would be $8.40 ($7 + 20% gratuity).

I "assume" that for true top shelf that it's the same formula: cost of the drink - $10 times 1.2. I'd have to really dig into the rules to understand if they charge full price on true premium drinks. I don't think so, but I could be wrong.

And sorry, I'd consider JD a "call" liquor, not top shelf. In some bars it's in the well, but not on a cruise ship.

Your math is correct.

Cheers and bon voyage

Just now, Bo1953 said:

Blanton's is not currently on any X ship... to my knowledge otherwise I would have been ordering it...

Additionally, passengers can only bring wine aboard and not hard liquor. 

Were I not know this and had it confiscated at the luggage scan or in the naughty room, it would be quite a hard decision as to if I were going on that sailing as I love my Blanton's... LOL

Cheers and bon voyage

Thank you!  For some reason I was thinking that the 2 bottles that we could bring on board were of any alcohol.  Thanks for the clarification.  Well just damn...maybe in 2 years they will have added Blantons to the list!  🙂

4 minutes ago, olemissreb said:

Blantons? That's pretty funny. As allocated as pretty much all Buffalo Trace products have become...

I've not seen it on a Celebrity cruise. The packages don't list ANY Buffalo Trace products. I suppose it's possible any given ship could have it as a one off, but if Celebrity doesn't have an export contract with Buffalo Trace, it's going to be pretty unlikely. 

1 minute ago, olemissreb said:

Thank you!  For some reason I was thinking that the 2 bottles that we could bring on board were of any alcohol.  Thanks for the clarification.  Well just damn...maybe in 2 years they will have added Blantons to the list!  🙂

How about we do this, I meet you at the ship and handle the two (2) bottles of Blanton's for you....

LOL

Cheers and bon voyage

• Haha 2

Just now, Bo1953 said:

How about we do this, I meet you at the ship and handle the two (2) bottles of Blanton's for you....

LOL

Cheers and bon voyage

Sorry!  If I could find 2 bottles of Blantons, I'd prefer to drink it with my boyfriend!  😄

• Haha 1

Can’t tell you about JD but Crown Royal was $11 so there was a $1 + 18% up charge. We had lots of OBC so didn’t upgrade our drink packages, instead we just paid the up charges and this worked out to be significantly cheaper than buying the premium package. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just took a look on the App -  Apex -  The Club Bar Menu -   Apex is currently in Europe if that makes a difference.

Jack Daniels Neat -   $12.00  plus Gratuities

Edited by Jim_Iain

1 hour ago, cruisestitch said:

Interesting. I just looked on reflection, my next trip, and they do not list any prices for any spirits, only for wines, fancy cocktails and beers.  As usual one ship doesn’t reflect the other (pun intended)

When you first asked the question, I went through every bar on the Equinox (my next sailing) and like you found no prices for spirits. Just lists of what was in each package. Definitely wouldn't be worth the upgrade for something just over the Classic limit (which it sounds like JD probably is) but might be if you were looking at something at the high end of the Premium package. But with no prices, who knows!

On 5/27/2023 at 2:08 PM, neverlaysup said:

Is Jack Daniels really considered a premium beverage....wow, I thought it was considered bottom tier bourbon.

It's not a bourbon...and it's not in the classic...but it sounds like about a $2.50 upgrade...

Jim Beam is the only bourbon offered on Classic.

And sadly Bo is right about Blantons...NCL can find it, why can't Celebrity?   

Edited by PTC DAWG

14 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

It's not a bourbon...

Aaaah. The great whiskey debate...  (They'll argue to the grave that it's not bourbon. They're happy to call it a bourbon for export purposes.)

15 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

And sadly Bo is right about Blantons...NCL can find it, why can't Celebrity?  

Does Royal have any Buffalo Trace products? I know they're separate companies, but if Royal doesn't, makes you wonder about any exclusivity agreements. I can take or leave Blantons for the most part, but it is odd that there are no Sazerac/BT products listed on Celebrity. Could be some of the lesser brands; Sazerac owns a lot of brands!

3 hours ago, markeb said:

When you first asked the question, I went through every bar on the Equinox (my next sailing) and like you found no prices for spirits. Just lists of what was in each package. Definitely wouldn't be worth the upgrade for something just over the Classic limit (which it sounds like JD probably is) but might be if you were looking at something at the high end of the Premium package. But with no prices, who knows!

Still hoping to find the answer (not more guesses).  All help appreciated.

If someone has a classic package, how much more will they have to pay to get Jack Daniels.

On 5/27/2023 at 3:48 PM, markeb said:

Blantons? That's pretty funny. As allocated as pretty much all Buffalo Trace products have become...

I've not seen it on a Celebrity cruise. The packages don't list ANY Buffalo Trace products. I suppose it's possible any given ship could have it as a one off, but if Celebrity doesn't have an export contract with Buffalo Trace, it's going to be pretty unlikely. 

I am pretty sure I had Buffalo Trace at some point on Beyond in April. I think it was in the Retreat.  I know every bar didn't carry all of the same brands.

10 hours ago, cruisestitch said:

Still hoping to find the answer (not more guesses).  All help appreciated.

If someone has a classic package, how much more will they have to pay to get Jack Daniels.

I found this online (https://profcruise.com/celebrity-bar-menus-2023/#passport) from a March 2023 sailing on the Solstice.  It's not definitive for a drink with only JD, but probably not far off.  For what it's worth, browsing through all the cocktail menus on that website would suggest that many premium package liquor cocktails can be found for $11-12.

NOTE: sailings from UK, Australia, NZ will have higher prices and higher drink package thresholds due to the included tax.

Celebrity Passport Bar Menu 2023 page 5

• Thanks 1