Keeping up with teens

Order Voom for everyone and you can text with your kids all over the ship.  DW and I do this as we are often separated doing different things.  It works pretty well except for the odd internet outage.  If you have iPhones iMessage works pretty seamlessly if you have without any extra effort.  If you are using Android phones you need wifi calling activated.  You probably want to do that anyways since if you have paid for voom then you'll want to make a call or two with it.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, mjkacmom said:

Oops I just realized I was on the wrong board, but doesn’t RCL have a similar app?

Yes, but it has some issues from what I've read. Texting or messaging with another app is much better if they are already purchasing internet.

9 minutes ago, mjkacmom said:

Oops I just realized I was on the wrong board, but doesn’t RCL have a similar app?

The Royal Caribbean app has a text function too that works a lot better than it has in the past.  The OP just needs to make sure they have their phone settings set correctly.

15 minutes ago, mjkacmom said:

We purchased the messaging feature for the NCL app, so much easier than before.

The RCL app works as long as everyone hasn’t been kicked off.  You have to check on a consistent basis.

If you signup your kids for Crown & Anchor numbers, they get the same internet you pay for free (assuming you are also a member). I always paid for my kids and apparently this was an unwritten benefit they formalized with the changes this year. They also get a few other discounts you may be interested in. This is the easiest way to keep tabs on what they are doing. 

2 hours ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

Easiest?

Notes in the cabin

Set meeting times & places. 

Internet onboard wasn't an option when my kids were teens.  We didn't have any problem keeping up with them: 

- Each kid had a pad of sticky notes in a unique color. 

- When they went out, they had to leave a sticky note on the TV saying where they were.  We left notes for them too. 

- They were required to check in with us about every two hours.  We made it their responsibility, and they always found us.  

- We always went to dinner as a family, and after dinner they were with us OR in a teen club activity.  

My kids aren't always angels, but we never had any problems with them on a cruise.  

Edited by Mum2Mercury
  • Like 5

10 hours ago, justjim9510 said:

What is the easiest way to get in touch/keep up with teens on the ship? Text? Chat in the app? Call?

Welcome to CC.

The answer depends on the age of the teens. Above 13 they can have their own login in the RCI app and use the free text option. You may need to remind them to keep checking the app as the notifications may not always work. 

12 hours ago, justjim9510 said:

What is the easiest way to get in touch/keep up with teens on the ship? Text? Chat in the app? Call?

all of the above.  Add in Snap chat as well.

edited to add notes on door can fall. Swallowing Apple tags is a great idea but I'll let others start!  At home if my older kids are not home, I text or call them.  It's no different on a ship.  

Edited by jean87510

10 hours ago, Cutigerlady said:

If you signup your kids for Crown & Anchor numbers, they get the same internet you pay for free (assuming you are also a member). I always paid for my kids and apparently this was an unwritten benefit they formalized with the changes this year. They also get a few other discounts you may be interested in. This is the easiest way to keep tabs on what they are doing. 

Wait...if I purchase an internet plan, I don't need to buy one for my kid as long as he has a C&A number??

7 minutes ago, Scottdalfonso said:

Wait...if I purchase an internet plan, I don't need to buy one for my kid as long as he has a C&A number??

I’m sorry, I just went back and re-read the benefit and it says discount equal to parent’s benefit. I haven’t actually had my kids on a trip with us since the change. 

3 minutes ago, Scottdalfonso said:

but I'm still gold so nothing worth while yet

Everyone starts somewhere. We called my BIL "Rust" when he went on his first cruise with our extended family. 🤣

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, OCSC Mike said:

Everyone starts somewhere. We called my BIL "Rust" when he went on his first cruise with our extended family. 🤣

I'm ALMOST to the next level... I think one more after October and I'll be bumped up 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jean87510 said:

all of the above.  Add in Snap chat as well.

edited to add notes on door can fall. Swallowing Apple tags is a great idea but I'll let others start!  At home if my older kids are not home, I text or call them.  It's no different on a ship.  

huh.  Our kids will tell us where they're going (mostly).   How did us parents survive when we were teens and there were no cell phones/tracking?  Do you REALLY need to be able to check in with your teens 24/7 (general, rhetorical question)?  

And even having a texting option doesn't mean the kids aren't doing something they shouldn't.