New to all Cruising, Planning a European River Cruise

JoyMBee

24 minutes ago, Gourmet Gal said:

Switzerland is incredibly easy to drive in.  The roads and especially the tunnels are a dream.  After disembarking in Basel we took the ship’s shuttle to the airport, picked up the rental and drove all over, stopping wherever we wanted on the way to Lake Geneva, followed by Lake Lucerne with a stop in Interlaken between. After several days in Lucerne we dropped the car at Zurich airport.  Of course you can piece together the same itinerary by train and tour but we enjoyed the freedom after following a tour guide around for almost 2 weeks.  

Yes, I agree. We have rented a car on our previous visits to Switzerland. Most recently out of Frankfurt, returning the car to Nuremberg pre Danube cruise.

if renting at the Basel airport, be certain you rent from the Swiss section and that there is the mandatory vignette included. Also, we chose the Hotel Balm in Meggen to avoid parking our rental car at a garage in Lucerne. Free transportation pass from the hotel, free parking, yummy breakfast and just a 15 minute bus ride to Lucerne from the stop directly by the hotel!

Because we are ten for our post cruise Switzerland travels we opted for trains. 30% discount. And Wengen is a car-free village so that was another factor.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Canal archive said:

JoyMBee wow they’re getting very intense here, I can understand why as we are all really river cruise fans (fanatics). For your first river cruise step back, decide if you want active or more laid back, old history or newer, you could go to the extent of a pro’s and con’s list. Or make a list take a pin blindfold yourself stick in the pin and go for it. We went on our first cruise after seeing an advert in a Sunday newspaper we’re just about to go on our tenth so just a word of warning it’s addictive. 
Whatever you choose enjoy.

Good point! Our first river cruise was seeing a post here on CC that GCT had a last minute special on Vienna to Amsterdam. Wife called, booked, and we were on board less that a week later. 
No idea what we were getting into. No overthinking. No planning. We enjoyed every minute and got hooked. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, CPT Trips said:

Good point! Our first river cruise was seeing a post here on CC that GCT had a last minute special on Vienna to Amsterdam. Wife called, booked, and we were on board less that a week later. 
No idea what we were getting into. No overthinking. No planning. We enjoyed every minute and got hooked. 

That would have been great!  No overthinking and planning.

1 hour ago, JoyMBee said:

That would have been great!  No overthinking and planning.

When it works out!  But it doesn't always.  You could go on the Vantage website right now and book a cruise for this summer and pay for it – but it isn't going to happen:

https://consumerrescue.org/travel-troubles/vantage-travel-canceled-cruise-customer-guidance/?fbclid=IwAR2uzawAOG8qpJSX0wD9diY35tzvk57AoljeyWGCQIDTA19uot6zLc-C6zE

7 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

When it works out!  But it doesn't always.  You could go on the Vantage website right now and book a cruise for this summer and pay for it – but it isn't going to happen:

https://consumerrescue.org/travel-troubles/vantage-travel-canceled-cruise-customer-guidance/?fbclid=IwAR2uzawAOG8qpJSX0wD9diY35tzvk57AoljeyWGCQIDTA19uot6zLc-C6zE

WOW!

Fortunately, the Vantage problems are the exception rather than the rule. And booking a week out, you can find out whether the river levels are likely to be  favorable. 😉 
To be honest, we were basically clueless. Had a great time, got hooked, and have yet to find a reason to switch vendors other than to get specific itineraries.  

Edited by CPT Trips

When I booked Viva last year, it was less than three weeks before departure.  As I travel a lot for work, planning the travel was easy but I sure didn’t know what I was going to be stepping into.

On 6/1/2023 at 10:39 PM, Host Jazzbeau said:

It's been a few years now [I looked it up: 10!  time flies!!!], but you might want to look at my blog of our first river cruise, Amsterdam to Basel with Lucerne on AmaWaterways:

jazzbeauxrhinerivercruise2013.wordpress.com

Do you mind if I email you with a couple of questions?  If not, no problem.

I will chime in too. My first river cruise was Budapest to Amsterdam in October 2016. I was a "tag along" with a friend who's daughter was not able to go, so no planning and no expectations! Had a wonderful time and got hooked just like everyone else. That was Emerald. Since then have done Scenic (Douro) and Ama (Burgundy). All were great.

One great thing about the October cruise was the Fall foliage!

• Like 3

JoyMBee - I still think your 1st option sound great... Of course, I love Budapest, so any time spent there is wonderful.  You could easily go in a day or two early - on your own - and have lots to see and do before you start the cruise. 

We love Avalon.  We have done 17 - with #18 booked for next year - and are not brand loyal. But, Avalon suits us well.  They have some unique itineraries - and they do change them up. 

Whatever you ultimately choose... Enjoy!!

Fran

P.S.  What part of Ontario are you  from?  I am in Whitby....

• Like 1

Thanks everyone and Jazz especially for all your help.   We booked the Romantic Rhine in October with Avalon.  It had some promotions and worked out to be a good price (I think)  We fly into Zurich and have two nights there and then a full day and one night in Amsterdam.  Maybe we should of tried to stay a second night but it seemed easier this time to just stick to the itinerary that was provided.  We are really excited and I have been reading all the reviews and forums on here.  I'm sure I will have lots of other questions.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, franski said:

JoyMBee - I still think your 1st option sound great... Of course, I love Budapest, so any time spent there is wonderful.  You could easily go in a day or two early - on your own - and have lots to see and do before you start the cruise. 

We love Avalon.  We have done 17 - with #18 booked for next year - and are not brand loyal. But, Avalon suits us well.  They have some unique itineraries - and they do change them up. 

Whatever you ultimately choose... Enjoy!!

Fran

P.S.  What part of Ontario are you  from?  I am in Whitby....

Thanks Fran,

We booked the Romantic Rhine this time.

We live in SW Ontario closer to the US border.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, JoyMBee said:

Thanks everyone and Jazz especially for all your help.   We booked the Romantic Rhine in October with Avalon.  It had some promotions and worked out to be a good price (I think)  We fly into Zurich and have two nights there and then a full day and one night in Amsterdam.  Maybe we should of tried to stay a second night but it seemed easier this time to just stick to the itinerary that was provided.  We are really excited and I have been reading all the reviews and forums on here.  I'm sure I will have lots of other questions.

You will be back to Amsterdam [so many river and ocean cruises start or call there], so no worries!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, JoyMBee said:

We booked the Romantic Rhine in October with Avalon. 

Great. Whether it is the Danube or the Rhine, for a first river cruise you cannot go wrong with either. I am sure it will be splendid. Lovely autumn colours in the second half of October and often still very pleasant daytime temperatures for much of October.

Have a great cruise.

notamermaid

• Like 1

@JoyMBee I'm sure you'll love Avalon, we are eagerly awaiting our Danube cruise with them in Sept. Our first cruise was the Romantic Rhine, but we went from Amsterdam to Basel, and missed the extension to Zurich, which I'd love to get to sometime. Since we had family in the Netherlands, we wanted to spend time there.

Another from Ont. here by the way but I'm the other end, between Kingston & Ottawa. Hope you are getting some cleaner air there now.

• Like 1

On 6/8/2023 at 10:14 PM, JoyMBee said:

Thanks Fran,

We booked the Romantic Rhine this time.

We live in SW Ontario closer to the US border.

A good place to start your river cruise journey. Have sailed the Rhine twice...  I am sure you will enjoy.

Fran

• Like 1