The Eclipse is In Sad shape

Alex618

1 hour ago, Alex618 said:

I priced the package yesterday with TA,  it was $1,800 for booze classic, gratuity, and WI-FI.  With a husband who has 2 or 3 frozen drinks, and Elite Cocktail hour, only one basic WIFI, I figure doing this on our own will cost about 1K. If you need two WI-FI connection and both drink considerable about then I can see where it is worth it.  I know while on board, I was speaking to Bar and Beverage manager and he stated these packages were costing them BIG $$$$$ so I bet they go away. 

Never going to happen. Drink packages are here to stay 

23 minutes ago, bayonnejoe said:

Never going to happen. Drink packages are here to stay 

You may be right but the price will continue to increase . The Bar and Beverage manager there were 2000 packages on board.  I also thought many abused.  Ordering liquor with breakfast and not a Mimosa and more than one. Just my opinion!  

Edited by Alex618

The only issue we had on the Eclipse last month was in our Aqua cabin with our “well used” mattresses. Not sure how often they swap them out, but it would be nice if they changed them on the next dry dock. Not quite sure how they would replace them during a cruising cycle.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

The only issue we had on the Eclipse last month was in our Aqua cabin with our “well used” mattresses. Not sure how often they swap them out, but it would be nice if they changed them on the next dry dock. Not quite sure how they would replace them during a cruising cycle.

Dry dock that I was quoted was 2024 and more than likely after Bermuda season.

Edited by Alex618
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Alex618 said:

We just came off row Eclipse on the May 28th. She really needs to go into dry dock. I understand she was to go in in 2020 and that did not happen. Most of the furnishing are in bad shape.and soiled.  I can not begin to think how she will look in 2024. Excursions were good and service was outstanding.  But the cabin was shabby in no way luxuary.  We were in. Concierge 1.

Edited by CaliB

15 hours ago, Alex618 said:

We just came off row Eclipse on the May 28th. She really needs to go into dry dock. I understand she was to go in in 2020 and that did not happen. Most of the furnishing are in bad shape.and soiled.  I can not begin to think how she will look in 2024. Excursions were good and service was outstanding.  But the cabin was shabby in no way luxuary.  We were in. Concierge 1.

I'm sorry to learn this right now, but it's good to know the service isn't affected by the deterioration of the aging ship. We're on the Eclipse for the June 18 Alaska cruise - in a sunset sky suite. 

1 hour ago, Alex618 said:

Dry dock that I was quoted was 2024 and more than likely after Bermuda season.

Actually from Cruise Critic:

Ship: Celebrity Eclipse

Dates: Spring 2025

Details: Celebrity Eclipse is slated for all new carpeting in this drydock along with new draperies. All staterooms and suites will get new balcony furniture and the galley is getting new equipment.

4 hours ago, buzz031 said:

is there anyway to book Aqua as cruise only?

Book a veranda and then use the move up to AQ.   You will not get the all included . For what is this worth we usually sail in AQ.   There was a cruise where the price for AQ was ridiculous.   We booked a veranda on the slant with a large  balcony.    Dined every morning in the MDR and also for lunch on sea days.   The service was great.   The breakfast menu were better and they served the same pastries at breakfast and juices that we got in Blu.   At the time there was a promo that included all of the perks for most cabins.   AQ was over $1000 more pp for 7 nights 

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

• Thanks 1

I was on the Eclipse in May 2022 to Hawaii. Although cabin and beds were fine I noticed the chairs in public areas were very dirty and armrests worn out. I just didn't sit there.  

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, CaliB said:

I'm sorry to learn this right now, but it's good to know the service isn't affected by the deterioration of the aging ship. We're on the Eclipse for the June 18 Alaska cruise - in a sunset sky suite. 

Your room hopefully will be in good shape and you have your special dining room. 

23 minutes ago, Dr. Cocktail said:

Actually from Cruise Critic:

Ship: Celebrity Eclipse

Dates: Spring 2025

Details: Celebrity Eclipse is slated for all new carpeting in this drydock along with new draperies. All staterooms and suites will get new balcony furniture and the galley is getting new equipment.

This ship will be in horrible condition by Spring 2025.  

3 minutes ago, Alex618 said:

This ship will be in horrible condition by Spring 2025.  

And which crystal ball did you use to determine that?  Maybe you're not aware but oftentimes they do some updates while they are sailing.  For example, on our last cruise we left one day to old balcony furniture and came back to brand new.  I understand they can't do a significant update while at sea, but they can make more changes than you would think,

I sailed Eclipse about 9 months ago and while it was certainly not perfect, I would not have described it as sad.  We were in an Aqua Class cabin.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, phoenix_dream said:

And which crystal ball did you use to determine that?  Maybe you're not aware but oftentimes they do some updates while they are sailing.  For example, on our last cruise we left one day to old balcony furniture and came back to brand new.  I understand they can't do a significant update while at sea, but they can make more changes than you would think,

I sailed Eclipse about 9 months ago and while it was certainly not perfect, I would not have described it as sad.  We were in an Aqua Class cabin.

Glad the ship was in good condition for your cruise.  Having sailed many Celebrity Cruise, I have never seen a ship in such sad condition.  Yes, some of our issues were resolved, others could not be, and it took our time and 3 days.   

We've spent close to 45 days on EC since the restart and have 1 more cruise booked. Our regular veranda cabin did not have the sheer drapes, Aqua and Suite both did. Sad shape is a bit of a stretch, Chairs could use replacing in many venues, we also had a carpet tearing and that was fixed.

Im sure if I started looking I could find a lot more issues but thats not what I do. The crew is excellent, we sleep well, enjoy good food and way to many drinks…No complaints here except possibly the lack of Zacapa at the World Class Bar 😆 

Edited by lovecruzin
  • Like 5

As a counterpoint to calm the nerves of anyone sailing on Eclipse soon, I was on the same sailing in the same common areas and did not see this. In fact, there were crews everywhere cleaning and on the sunset deck they were touching up paint all week. This is not my first travel rodeo & I worked in high-end hospitality so I would not let those types of things go unnoticed. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Alex618 said:

I also thought many abused.  Ordering liquor with breakfast and not a Mimosa and more than one. Just my opinion!  

That is an interesting take Alex. If this is, or it becomes a problem, they will go the route of other lines and limit you to how many drinks you can order a day.

2 minutes ago, Mike981 said:

That is an interesting take Alex. If this is, or it becomes a problem, they will go the route of other lines and limit you to how many drinks you can order a day.

So I do have to chip in with my take on the exact same cruise. It was impossible to order more than one drink per seapass. In fact, I had to go get my husbands card just to get 2 waters!  I saw the staff restrict to one per card and never saw someone able to get multiple drinks on one card in one trip. 

1 minute ago, TeachAloha said:

So I do have to chip in with my take on the exact same cruise. It was impossible to order more than one drink per seapass. In fact, I had to go get my husbands card just to get 2 waters!  I saw the staff restrict to one per card and never saw someone able to get multiple drinks on one card in one trip. 

Yes, but a person with a sea pass card can order one drink after another.  So for breakfast this couple each with a drink package had number of drinks. 

3 hours ago, Alex618 said:

You may be right but the price will continue to increase . The Bar and Beverage manager there were 2000 packages on board.  I also thought many abused.  Ordering liquor with breakfast and not a Mimosa and more than one. Just my opinion!  

If drinks with other liquors are going to be available, they can be ordered.

Who decreed that "only" mimosas are appropriate breakfast drinks?

There are places in the world where they have stuff I would never consider "breakfast foods" served at breakfast. (I've had non-"Western traditional" breakfast foods at breakfast and "Western traditional" breakfast foods at times other than breakfast (not on a cruise, but at home).

I'm not justifying over-ordering things by any means. BUT if a bar is going to make other drinks whenever ordered, that's on Celebrity. Maybe the "not Mimosas" ARE those people's "breakfast" drinks.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Alex618 said:

I priced the package yesterday with TA,  it was $1,800 for booze classic, gratuity, and WI-FI.  With a husband who has 2 or 3 frozen drinks, and Elite Cocktail hour, only one basic WIFI, I figure doing this on our own will cost about 1K. If you need two WI-FI connection and both drink considerable about then I can see where it is worth it.  I know while on board, I was speaking to Bar and Beverage manager and he stated these packages were costing them BIG $$$$$ so I bet they go away. 

And you bought that? Think about what they pay for the alcohol and what they sell it for.

We aren’t avid drinkers, but in our case…. We drink mostly domestic beer, and stock up on it when they have sales around holidays. For Memorial Day we paid about $.60 per serving, tax included, and that was per case price. Just think what the cruise lines pay at the quantities they buy.

To make the math easy, say the drink package was $60 p.p. pd. They wouldn’t lose money on me until I drank over 100 per day. We don’t buy enough booze or wine to be able to compare them.

I would guess that alcohol would be their highest profit item, by percentage.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TeachAloha said:

I had the same issue when trying to get 2 bottles of water during HH. Some bars gave 2 some not so I started telling them I needed to take extra bottle to my cabin to take with meds. That solved the problem. 

• Like 1

I am wondering what has happened to Eclipse between December 2022 and now??

We did not notice anything dreadfully concerning - in fact the opposite - scrupulous attention to sanitising high touch areas such as hand rails on the stairs, also lifts, both outside and inside.

If there was a little peeling paint, or a hole in some fabric - would that have affected our cruise experience - no.

A large stain I agree could be somewhat off-putting, but some stains are extremely difficult to remove - especially if the person who caused the (presumed) spill did not let staff know at the time, therefore prolonging the time before it received initial attention and making it more difficult, or even impossible to remove.

Surely everyone is aware that all cruise lines are doing it at least a bit tough, having had no income for several years. The ships are cruising, the beds are comfortable, the linen is clean, food is enjoyable and people are enjoying their travel.

Cosmetic refurbishment will come soon enough!

• Like 6

22 minutes ago, Baynanno1 said:

I am wondering what has happened to Eclipse between December 2022 and now??

We did not notice anything dreadfully concerning - in fact the opposite - scrupulous attention to sanitising high touch areas such as hand rails on the stairs, also lifts, both outside and inside.

If there was a little peeling paint, or a hole in some fabric - would that have affected our cruise experience - no.

A large stain I agree could be somewhat off-putting, but some stains are extremely difficult to remove - especially if the person who caused the (presumed) spill did not let staff know at the time, therefore prolonging the time before it received initial attention and making it more difficult, or even impossible to remove.

Surely everyone is aware that all cruise lines are doing it at least a bit tough, having had no income for several years. The ships are cruising, the beds are comfortable, the linen is clean, food is enjoyable and people are enjoying their travel.

Cosmetic refurbishment will come soon enough!

Yes & I was on the same cruise on the same dates & did not notice these issues in this post. In fact we saw the opposite with contact cleaning & touching up of paint. 

Edited by TeachAloha
  • Like 2

I was on a Holland Westerdam cruise during the holiday break quite a few years back.  The ship was due for a refurbishment and the cruise fares were priced accordingly.  Is this the case with Celebrity or are they charging full fare?