Deluxe Porthole Veranda

lovedecruise

On 6/16/2023 at 2:17 PM, Georgia_Peaches said:

YIKES!  We have one booked on the new Ascent for November.  I booked it because I didn't want an IV...didn't know I was going to have to sit sideways...hmmm

For context, I’m 6’1, we comfortably sat on the porthole balcony chairs angled at roughly 45 degrees

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Spif Barwunkel said:

Ms Peaches, for a few bucks more, on a 3 or a 4, I would try the IV. I have seen your comments on various threads as to why you are apprehensive. I would not suggest this to any poster who speaks or thinks negatively of the IV, whether having cruised in one or not. We have done so for 7 nights on Edge and 12 nights on Beyond. Really enjoyed both, very much. We will do 7 once again on Ascent Maiden voyage. I just have a gut feeling that you and DH will adapt and enjoy. Not that you will not enjoy the porthole veranda, because it is obvious that you guys make the best of any situation. However, for a few bucks more, on a 3 or a 4....well, you know.

Hmm..well Mr. Spif you make a very compelling argument.  As a matter of fact, DH and I were just discussing over the weekend whether or not we wanted to add on the next 3 day sailing as a back to back.  This would be a great opportunity to try the IV for comparison's sake.  I like it!  Appreciate the nudge!

16 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Hmm..well Mr. Spif you make a very compelling argument.  As a matter of fact, DH and I were just discussing over the weekend whether or not we wanted to add on the next 3 day sailing as a back to back.  This would be a great opportunity to try the IV for comparison's sake.  I like it!  Appreciate the nudge!

Our last sailing last month was our first time in an IV.  We decided to give it a try due to only have 2 sea days on an 8 nighter and it was in Europe so it was never super hot or humid like the Caribbean.  Like most, we slot it between an OV and a traditional balcony.  The pros are, it feels modern, we liked the one touch powered curtain (the window requires you hold the button until it's lowered or raised to your liking) and the extra space.  I won't even beat a dead horse with the cons other than it felt strange to just sit there by the open window so we generally stood over it with out forearms leaning over.  Thank to the mild weather, we had the window lowered fairly often while in the room

• Like 2

From the cabin choice maps on the Celebrity booking engine it appears like the deluxe porthole verandahs in the aft are not as narrow as the ones forward. Is that the case? I know I’m not trying to take those things to exact scale or anything but there’s a noticeable difference especially say comparing deck 7 forward cabins vs those in the aft. Also, how obstructed are the obstructed ones? It seems random that some are and some aren’t, is that the lifeboat that’s obstructing them?

Edited by tigervixxxen

6 hours ago, tigervixxxen said:

From the cabin choice maps on the Celebrity booking engine it appears like the deluxe porthole verandahs in the aft are not as narrow as the ones forward. Is that the case? I know I’m not trying to take those things to exact scale or anything but there’s a noticeable difference especially say comparing deck 7 forward cabins vs those in the aft. Also, how obstructed are the obstructed ones? It seems random that some are and some aren’t, is that the lifeboat that’s obstructing them?

Not sure about difference in aft and forward balcony size but the obstruction is window washing equipment both aft and forward. Here's a photo I took a few weeks ago on the Edge. I was in 8111. The equipment is on the far side of the cabin next door, so between 8123 and 8113. It didn't bother me at all in 8111, but something to think about for the cabins directly adjacent.

20230603_152317.jpg

Edited by Crumbled

14 hours ago, tigervixxxen said:

We were in 7118 DPV on the Apex nd no obstruction left or right. Straight down, yes. A canopy. No biggie as our view looking forward was great. 

Edited by davekathy
  • Like 2

Hello every one,

we  have stateroom 7119 on the beyond for our first TA this  october on the Beyond.   I'm a little anxious about the view.   Can somebody is able to tell if the bed is near the balcony or the bathroom.

(sorry english is not my first language i'm for Québec😁)

8 minutes ago, lunedemiel17 said:

Hello every one,

we  have stateroom 7119 on the beyond for our first TA this  october on the Beyond.   I'm a little anxious about the view.   Can somebody is able to tell if the bed is near the balcony or the bathroom.

(sorry english is not my first language i'm for Québec😁)

Balcony. 

• 6 months later...
On 6/25/2023 at 6:59 PM, Crumbled said:

Not sure about difference in aft and forward balcony size but the obstruction is window washing equipment both aft and forward. Here's a photo I took a few weeks ago on the Edge. I was in 8111. The equipment is on the far side of the cabin next door, so between 8123 and 8113. It didn't bother me at all in 8111, but something to think about for the cabins directly adjacent.

20230603_152317.jpg

Hi Crumbled, Thank you for the photo from Stateroom 8111.  We booked late and this room became available on Celebrity Edge so we snatched it up.  Do you have any more photos of this room you may be able to share? Can you please tell us if the bed is near the bathroom or balcony?  Did you find the room quiet?  Any other thoughts on 8111?  Many thanks for your help.  If anyone else has been in this room and can comment, your thoughts would be most welcome.

6 hours ago, lovedecruise said:

Hi Crumbled, Thank you for the photo from Stateroom 8111.  We booked late and this room became available on Celebrity Edge so we snatched it up.  Do you have any more photos of this room you may be able to share? Can you please tell us if the bed is near the bathroom or balcony?  Did you find the room quiet?  Any other thoughts on 8111?  Many thanks for your help.  If anyone else has been in this room and can comment, your thoughts would be most welcome.

Sure, here are two more photos (I only took two, sorry a little blurry). As you can see the bed is beside the balcony. I found the room very quiet generally, and would book it again in a heartbeat. One thing I did notice was in tender ports you could hear the anchor drop in the mornings. I was already awake and it did not bother me even a little, but might be an issue for the light sleeper who likes a lie in. It was a lovely room, and I hope you enjoy your cruise as much as I did. 

20230607_130720.thumb.jpg.5d4688e19ebbf75d735dd3651d83c8b8.jpg

20230607_130732.thumb.jpg.8da1834087aa0ad0190415b0f8672d80.jpg

Thank you so much Crumbled. I really appreciate your pictures and information. We are onboard in about 4 weeks time. Did you find the room had enough light due to the porthole shape? Being a summer cruise around New Zealand, we think we will appreciate having some shade on the balcony. We only have one tender port and that is Sydney harbour where we will be anchored for a day. We always get up early when sailing into Sydney so the anchor shouldn’t be a problem. Again, many thanks. 

9 hours ago, lovedecruise said:

Thank you so much Crumbled. I really appreciate your pictures and information. We are onboard in about 4 weeks time. Did you find the room had enough light due to the porthole shape? Being a summer cruise around New Zealand, we think we will appreciate having some shade on the balcony. We only have one tender port and that is Sydney harbour where we will be anchored for a day. We always get up early when sailing into Sydney so the anchor shouldn’t be a problem. Again, many thanks. 

I confess I do really love lots of light and big windows! When I first walked into the room on day 1 my impression was that it did seem dark for my tastes, but now that you've reminded me of this I honestly don't know if I got used to it very quickly or if it depended on which side of the ship the sun was on, because I don't remember being bothered by it again 😄 I am a glass half full person though! Sounds like a little shade will be an advantage for you anyway

17 hours ago, lovedecruise said:

We were in 8111 on Ascent. Great view from the porthole balcony and very quiet location. Here’s a few pics from all directions standing at the rail. 

IMG_6192.jpeg

IMG_6189.jpeg

IMG_6190.jpeg

IMG_6191.jpeg

Edited by Georgia_Peaches
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Crumbled said:

I confess I do really love lots of light and big windows! When I first walked into the room on day 1 my impression was that it did seem dark for my tastes, but now that you've reminded me of this I honestly don't know if I got used to it very quickly or if it depended on which side of the ship the sun was on, because I don't remember being bothered by it again 😄 I am a glass half full person though! Sounds like a little shade will be an advantage for you anyway

Yes, we like a lot of light as well. As you say, it’s what you get used to. I know the balcony is small but we intend to put it to good use. It will be lovely to have somewhere to sit in the fresh air and listen to the waves. Many thanks for the information. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

We were in 8111 on Ascent. Great view from the porthole balcony and very quiet location. Here’s a few pics from all directions standing at the rail. 

IMG_6192.jpeg

IMG_6189.jpeg

IMG_6190.jpeg

IMG_6191.jpeg

Thank you Georgia-Peaches for the great photos. That window washing equipment looks quite close or is it just the angle the photo was taken?  Do you think you would see it if you were sitting down on the balcony?  Thanks 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lovedecruise said:

Thank you Georgia-Peaches for the great photos. That window washing equipment looks quite close or is it just the angle the photo was taken?  Do you think you would see it if you were sitting down on the balcony?  Thanks 

I only saw the window washing equipment because I leaned over.  I definitely couldn't see it by sitting down.  It was a great room but we don't spend a lot of time on the balcony so it suited us fine.

5 hours ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

I only saw the window washing equipment because I leaned over.  I definitely couldn't see it by sitting down.  It was a great room but we don't spend a lot of time on the balcony so it suited us fine.

We love having a balcony, which is why we were delighted this room became available.  We find it is a lovely space to escape to if we need some peace.  We also like having our breakfast out there but after seeing how small they are, I wonder how possible that will be.  I'm sure we'll make it work. Many thanks for your help. 4 weeks and counting ........

• Like 1

When you closed the balcony sliding door sitting on the balcony or standing on the balcony will the air conditioning still work inside the stateroom ?

Does the sliding door have to be in locked position for the air conditioning to operate in the stateroom?

Edited by cruise47
Misspelled word

10 minutes ago, cruise47 said:

Does the sliding door have to be in locked position for the air conditioning to operate in the stateroom?

Yes, this was our experience on Ascent.  Door must be locked.  Unlike on S class (and maybe M class) there is no handle to swing up into the locked position from the outside, thus keeping the a/c running.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Yes, this was our experience on Ascent.  Door must be locked.  Unlike on S class (and maybe M class) there is no handle to swing up into the locked position from the outside, thus keeping the a/c running.

Thank you for your quick reply. 

1 hour ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

We had a SV on an Apex transatlantic.  Weather not the best for about 5 days so did not use veranda during that time but still liked the actual outside.  Thought it was very odd that the veranda door could not be locked/unlocked from the outside.  Notice said that A/C won’t work if door not locked.

Had IV for the first time on a Beyond TA and again weather not so great for a while. Was locked during these days.  Only hot the last 4 days so could enjoy weather from our cabin.   Not sure our window was ever cleaned in 14 days on ship.  
We will be doing our first Caribbean sailing on an IV in February.  In past, always had traditional veranda.  We do like the quiet of our own outside area at times when decks are busy so we will see how this goes with IV. 
I have the considered the porthole cabin but it seems that while not the same as IV,  it seems very enclosed.  Would like to actually visit one before booking.  

4 hours ago, gfkcruiser said:

I have the considered the porthole cabin but it seems that while not the same as IV,  it seems very enclosed.  Would like to actually visit one before booking.  

Yes, they are more enclosed.  This was appealing to me because I prefer the shade, which this balcony had in spades.  The side walls are steel with no dividers between cabins.

• Like 2