Deluxe Porthole Veranda

lovedecruise

Hi, we are looking at a cruise on the Celebrity Edge having sailed on the Celebrity Solstice for our past cruises.  We really like the idea of a "proper" balcony but there are no SV rooms left and we are not in a position to go for a suite.  This is why we are considering the Porthole Verandas.  Looking at all the photos we can find, we notice they seem rather dark.  Has anyone sailed in these rooms and found them to be dark or did you find there was enough natural light without having to have the lights on all the time? 

I can't find many reviews for these rooms on the spreadsheet so any comments, positive and negative,  from those who have experienced these Porthole Verandas, would be most appreciated.  Many thanks.

We were in a porthole veranda cabin on Apex for two weeks in January

and don’t remember any significant issues relating to it being dark or

needing the lights on more than any conventional balcony cabin. The

outside space is certainly limited and we had a minor obstruction of

views. We tend not to use our balconies a lot but we do like fresh air 

and views. It was a deliberate price based decision to book this cabin

and we would do so again. I hope this helps.

• Like 1

I had one on Apex in Norway last August.  I'm a natural light lover, and I didn't feel like my room was dark.  It's a wee verandah, narrow, but I was solo.  Definitely a view through a round hole, though--not sure if you mean views from inside or going out on the verandah and looking out.  I loved it, go for it.  I did get super cheap on a move-up, though--not sure about paying full price.  But the room wasn't dark.

IMG_5661.jpg

Edited by Random Cruizer
a
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

We had one booked...then I saw someone's on a cabin crawl.

It is so narrow that the chairs cannot be turned forward.

We bid on an IV cabin & got it.

I know these are polarizing--people can hate them.

We rather liked it.

Added space & light (if shade was up) to the room, fresh air if window was down.

Thanks so much for your question. I will be sailing Celebrity for thr first time in February. We are sailing in Decemeber as well. So, for the February cruise, we are trying to keep the price down. So, I'm considering this type of room so I can have a true balcony. The Sunset Verandas are like $600 more. We could use that money for more experiences during the sailing. So, I am very curious about responses to your question. 

I'm less concerned about the possible darkness. I am concerned about how narrow they seek to be.  We enjoy eating breakfast on the balcony as a nice peaceful way to start off the day. The chairs look rather tight in that space. Looks like not enough room to move around the chairs. How was the amount of space experience for people that had these cabins? 

Thanks!

4 hours ago, KKB said:

We had one booked...then I saw someone's on a cabin crawl.

It is so narrow that the chairs cannot be turned forward.

Exactly--I had a traditional verandah on Equinox in June, then the Porthole Verandah on Apex in August--it was only about half as deep.  I was cruising solo, though, so I didn't care much, but it might be an issue for a pair of people.

3 hours ago, blueslily said:

Thanks so much for your question. I will be sailing Celebrity for thr first time in February. We are sailing in Decemeber as well. So, for the February cruise, we are trying to keep the price down. So, I'm considering this type of room so I can have a true balcony. The Sunset Verandas are like $600 more. We could use that money for more experiences during the sailing. So, I am very curious about responses to your question. 

I'm less concerned about the possible darkness. I am concerned about how narrow they seek to be.  We enjoy eating breakfast on the balcony as a nice peaceful way to start off the day. The chairs look rather tight in that space. Looks like not enough room to move around the chairs. How was the amount of space experience for people that had these cabins? 

Thanks!

2 people having breakfast would be pretty cramped.  I was fine because it was just me, and even with just me, I didn't eat breakfast out there like I did on the traditional verandah on Equinox.

32 minutes ago, lovedecruise said:

Thank you everyone for your informative responses. I see the bed can be placed by the balcony or bathroom. What did you find were the pros and cons of each configuration? Thanks. 

If it is by the bathroom, I find it makes the room feel bigger. 

But if it is by the balcony, you have more room to get in & out of the closet.

• Like 1

We had a DSV on the Apex in March and will have the same one in a few weeks.  DH likes it better than I do, but it's fine.  The veranda is a little dark but didn't notice in the room.  We kept the chairs angled, and we never eat out there and are rarely out there together.   For me I have to have the bed by the closet; it's pretty tight walking between the wall and end of the bed, especially in the dark during the night.

We've done SV twice before they got priced up, really nice.

It all comes down to this, on previous sailings, did you spend time on your traditional balcony?  If yes, the majority would prefer the DPV.  If no, give the IV a try to enjoy the extra room, you’ll prob like that better and there’s nothing to be ashamed of

20 minutes ago, lovedecruise said:

What was the stateroom number?  Did you have any obstruction from the window washer? Was the bed by the bathroom or balcony? Thanks.

We were in 7118. No obstruction from the window washing equipment. Bed was by the balcony.

On 6/9/2023 at 4:49 PM, davekathy said:

We were in 7118. No obstruction from the window washing equipment. Bed was by the balcony.

Hi Dave/Kathy.  First we are also a Dave/Kathy 🙂.    We have 7123 booked on the Beyond.  I read somewhere that the balconys get drenched when the windows are washed above.  Did you have this experience and do you remember how many times they were washed.  Also does the AC shut off when you are on the balcony if the door is open? Thanks!!

51 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

YIKES!  We have one booked on the new Ascent for November.  I booked it because I didn't want an IV...didn't know I was going to have to sit sideways...hmmm

We'll be back in the same DPV on Apex we were in March soon.  You don't have to sit sideways, just a bit angled.  NBD.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, kleibo said:

Hi Dave/Kathy.  First we are also a Dave/Kathy 🙂.    We have 7123 booked on the Beyond.  I read somewhere that the balconys get drenched when the windows are washed above.  Did you have this experience and do you remember how many times they were washed.  Also does the AC shut off when you are on the balcony if the door is open? Thanks!!

We never experienced our balcony being drenched. We did receive a note the night before they would be washing our glass balcony door. I doubt (assumption) with the configuration of the DVP the window washing equipment wouldn't touch the balcony door.  We were in port that morning and returned at noon and noticed nothing. 

There was a sticker on the balcony door advising the AC wouldn't function properly if the balcony door was left open. Same warning that has been on all our balcony doors no matter the class of ship.  

• Haha 1

Wow what a coincidence, we have also booked 7123 — thx for info. 

When we booked, there were no Sunset Verandas available.  We had a SV on Apex and it was wonderful except for the soot (8th deck) & the price of course.  I’m aware the DPV is much smaller balcony but at least it is outside space.

• Like 1

On 6/16/2023 at 5:17 PM, Georgia_Peaches said:

YIKES!  We have one booked on the new Ascent for November.  I booked it because I didn't want an IV...didn't know I was going to have to sit sideways...hmmm

Ms Peaches, for a few bucks more, on a 3 or a 4, I would try the IV. I have seen your comments on various threads as to why you are apprehensive. I would not suggest this to any poster who speaks or thinks negatively of the IV, whether having cruised in one or not. We have done so for 7 nights on Edge and 12 nights on Beyond. Really enjoyed both, very much. We will do 7 once again on Ascent Maiden voyage. I just have a gut feeling that you and DH will adapt and enjoy. Not that you will not enjoy the porthole veranda, because it is obvious that you guys make the best of any situation. However, for a few bucks more, on a 3 or a 4....well, you know.

Edited by Spif Barwunkel

On 6/16/2023 at 5:17 PM, Georgia_Peaches said:

We haven’t sailed in one, but we’ve toured one on a cabin crawl. It looked charming, but it is true that you’d probably need to angle the chairs toward the opening. We could definitely see ourselves enjoying our wee veranda with wine and a few nibbles😎😎  One caveat is that I would personally avoid the forward ones because I’m susceptible to motion sickness. I’m usually ok in aft cabins. 

Edited by Silkroad
  • Thanks 1