Re: Talk me off the ledge.....or plank....

Majkman

So, we leave next Friday (6/16) on the Solstice for Alaska. It will be our 6th Celebrity cruise, but 1st time on Solstice. We LOVE this cruise line.

So, today, I am putting together my travel itinerary folder and I come across our luggage tags. And I happen to notice that we have been moved from 9278 (a prime veranda) to 9125, which I also believe is a prime veranda, but not next to our friends who were next door to us.

I contacted my TA, and she says she has no notes as to who or how this would happen, and she will get on it in the AM.

Now, our kids are in an inside cabin, and I did bid on a veranda for them, but have not received an acceptance or rejection yet (I know that should be about 2 days from sailing) and they are still located in their same cabin.

Has anyone heard of this happening before? Just a move, without notification? It's not gonna crush the trip, but I am just surprised. I have always held Celebrity to a higher standard after moving up from Carnival, then Princess, and I do not have plans of changing now that I am moving up in the Captain's Club Universe, but still.....what the heck?!

Keep the seas calm and the Sun shining,

Andy

Did you check your booking online to make sure the luggage tags aren't just wrong?  Also 9125 does not seem like it is the same category as 9278.  9278 is much more central located and on the hump.  Also it looks like they have 2 different color coded deck plans on their website.

Well although both cabins are prime verandas, 9278 is midship on the hump - a prime location.    9125 is completely forward .    I prefer midship and midship in same category is usually a little more expensive than a forward cabin.   If it were me , i would have my TA find out why the change and see if there is anything on the hump.  However it is your call. 

1 hour ago, Majkman said:

Has anyone heard of this happening before? Just a move, without notification? It's not gonna crush the trip, but I am just surprised. I have always held Celebrity to a higher standard after moving up from Carnival, then Princess, and I do not have plans of changing now that I am moving up in the Captain's Club Universe, but still.....what the heck?!

Andy

Andy,

No, I have not heard (or read) of this happening before unless an upgrade was involved.

You probably have already done this, but I would be looking at my other documents to see what cabin was assigned.  I would look at my original booking confirmation to see what I was originally assigned and I would go online to look at "Manage My Reservation" to see what cabin it says I currently have.  You will also want to contact your travel agent (if you used one) or Celebrity.  Good luck.

David

I was once unexpectedly moved to a different cabin and didn’t find out until I was at check-in at the terminal. Guest relations claimed that they faxed my Travel agent the information about the change. My travel agent didn’t have a fax machine🤨

In my case, I found out that my original room was adjacent to one of the family rooms and I got bumped so a very large family could have the whole vestibule.

Guest ldtr

If the new cabin is a down grade in room category you should give them a call to see if it can be corrected and your old room gotten back.  At a minimum if it is a downgrade in sub category you should get some compensation.

9 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

I don’t want a cabin right beside my friends..they wouldn’t get any sleep.  🙂

With you, I am sure it is a problem requiring a CPAP.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, jelayne said:

In looking at the Deck plan the 2 of you were  booked in a cabin that can sleep 4.  The cabin you were moved to accommodates just 2.  It could be they needed a cabin for 4.

THIS

6 minutes ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

Also, the check-in staff at Pier 91 will have no information as to why your stateroom was changed.  If you ask, you will be directed to go to Guest Services on the ship.

I suspect Guest Services also will have no information on why the stateroom was changed.

• Like 1

I know we got the shuffle with regards to dinner reservations on our last 2 cruises.

IMHO these ships are sailing at or above capacity right now and when push comes to shove , 

more $$$$$ for the cruise line wins every time.

Edited by horseymike
Grammar

Thank you everyone (especially for not flaming me!!😀)

So, apparently, I booked the 9278 originally, but when my friends decided to join us, AND I decided to move our kids to their own interior cabin (I have bid on a balcony for them), that is when our cabin was moved. I did go back and look at the correspondence and somehow, I missed the move.

Tough getting old!!......and forgetful!!

We're all good, half packed and ready to sail!!!

Keep the seas calm and the sun shining!!

Andy

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Majkman said:

Thank you everyone (especially for not flaming me!!😀)

So, apparently, I booked the 9278 originally, but when my friends decided to join us, AND I decided to move our kids to their own interior cabin (I have bid on a balcony for them), that is when our cabin was moved. I did go back and look at the correspondence and somehow, I missed the move.

Tough getting old!!......and forgetful!!

We're all good, half packed and ready to sail!!!

Keep the seas calm and the sun shining!!

Andy

thanks for getting back to us. Enjoy your cruise!!

• Like 3

I'm relieved to hear they are not just arbitrarily downgrading people with chosen booked cabins (Though we're on two upcoming Japan Millennium cruises where they arbitrarily--well--due to THEIR errors--CANCELED people with chosen booked cabins).  On our Japan cruises, we've had to fight for our cabin assignments several times--through each of several "lift-and-shifts"...but that was through moves from Millie to Solstice and back to Millie.  Frustrating since we carefully choose our cabins for location, balcony size and other factors...and that exact assignment means something.

Yeah, pay close attention whenever you make changes to your booking--because, even then, as far as I am concerned, there is no excuse for moving you unless you've requested it or, at a minimum, consented to the move.

• Like 1

My last two Celebrity cruises, Constellation 2/2022 and Millennium 6/2023, had my cabin moved without any prior notification.

The new cabin on the Constellation was acceptable, the one on the Millennium was not in anyway acceptable as to size or location.  I insisted on a cabin equivalent to the one I had originally booked. It took several hours on embarcation day, but we received a better cabin two hours after sailing.

• Like 1

On 6/6/2023 at 9:10 PM, Majkman said:

So, we leave next Friday (6/16) on the Solstice for Alaska. It will be our 6th Celebrity cruise, but 1st time on Solstice. We LOVE this cruise line.

So, today, I am putting together my travel itinerary folder and I come across our luggage tags. And I happen to notice that we have been moved from 9278 (a prime veranda) to 9125, which I also believe is a prime veranda, but not next to our friends who were next door to us.

I contacted my TA, and she says she has no notes as to who or how this would happen, and she will get on it in the AM.

Now, our kids are in an inside cabin, and I did bid on a veranda for them, but have not received an acceptance or rejection yet (I know that should be about 2 days from sailing) and they are still located in their same cabin.

Andy

Since, the post covid restart, we have now had this happen twice.  The first time we were move from an obstructed view balcony on deck 6 to the very last balcony on the rear port side of deck 7.  Although the new cabin was unobstructed we would have much preferred our centrally located although obstructed view balcony.  I only discovered it when I printed out our luggage tags, he had received no notification of the change.  The second time is on our upcoming Japan cruise in October.  We received notification the the cruise was oversold with options to change sailing dates, but we were never told they had already moved out cabin from an inside on deck 9 to  window on deck 3.  We prefer higher decks, but considering if we want to go, what they gave is what we get, we'll be fine with it.  We've never received any notification that our cabin was specifically changed.  I only know from logging into our Celebrity account.  It is what it is....a day on a ship is better than any day at work.

• Like 1