Shorts in the dinning room

1 minute ago, bigque said:

Some of you think that Royal Caribbean should still be like the golden cruise days of yesteryear! You may as well face it that those days are gone. What do you really expect when they are building more and more ships that are basically like taking a vacation to Myrtle Beach with all types of amusement and entertainment geared toward families and others that like that type of vacation. When you go on vacations to these places and all inclusive beach resorts people are not looking to get dressed up at night just to go to dinner. There are cruise lines where you can live out your fantasy of the golden years of cruising but it’s going to cost you a lot more for that experience. If you are going to continue to cruise with Royal you may as well face reality and stop complaining about what people are wearing because they are not going back. Icon of the Seas should tell you that! 

Very well stated, even though some won't want to hear/read it.  I've been of that same mentality since I started cruising a few decades ago.  Never have I put on a jacket to go to the MDR or other specialty restaurants, unless I was cold.  I think that was once.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, bigque said:

Some of you think that Royal Caribbean should still be like the golden cruise days of yesteryear! You may as well face it that those days are gone. What do you really expect when they are building more and more ships that are basically like taking a vacation to Myrtle Beach with all types of amusement and entertainment geared toward families and others that like that type of vacation. When you go on vacations to these places and all inclusive beach resorts people are not looking to get dressed up at night just to go to dinner. There are cruise lines where you can live out your fantasy of the golden years of cruising but it’s going to cost you a lot more for that experience. If you are going to continue to cruise with Royal you may as well face reality and stop complaining about what people are wearing because they are not going back. Icon of the Seas should tell you that! 

One person! Don't get your wrinkled panties or short shorts in a wad. Enjoy your cruise!

7 minutes ago, bigque said:

Don't let the background noise bother you.  There is a myriad of folks in here and on other social media sites (cruise related) that think we should go back to yesteryear.  Keep on, keep'in on!

• Like 1

FWIW, I'm currently at an AI in DR.  Their usual dress code at a couple of the restaurants is long pants and collared shirt for men.  This week at least, they're allowing shorts because of the heat.  

Hate to think what some of these posters reactions would be if they were staying here.

5 hours ago, bigque said:

What do you really expect when they are building more and more ships that are basically like taking a vacation to Myrtle Beach with all types of amusement and entertainment geared toward families and others that like that type of vacation. When you go on vacations to these places and all inclusive beach resorts people are not looking to get dressed up at night just to go to dinner.

We go to MB at least once each year.  After beach/golfing, we are so sticky-sweaty, we cannot wait to shower up. Same as most cruising port days or sea days up on deck. 

On recent 9 night cruise on AoS, there were more than a few couples in line for my time dining that appear to have forgotten showering pre dinner. 

washy washy, not just your hands!

I don’t get it…the soap & water is included in the fare, it’s a wonderful opportunity to take the longest shower and not worry about the water bill 

Could care less what others wear in a dining situation. Clean is a nice idea.  You either are the sort wherein you don’t want to be ‘under dressed’ or you’re not.  People are entitled to their own mindset.  

Kindly, give a moment’s thought if you are a hot, sweaty mess & will be in forced, close quarters with others on board

what we now pack has certainly skewed into non-formal over the years.  We’ve evolved

Fortunate enough to have a lovely wardrobe. The ‘resort wear’ travels with me for both cruising & land trips in warmer climates.  Some Jersey separates & sundresses, I’m good to go 

The mr takes a couple of tommy bahama shirts & (as at MB) nice golf wear including polos, long pants & shorts.  All wicking sort of material.  A bonus it travels well.  No, not the same outfit he golfed in that day either.  Although those dinner outfits often morph into the next day’s golf wear. 

He’s comfy, I’m happy = a win

• Like 2

6 hours ago, bigque said:

... more and more ships that are basically like taking a vacation to Myrtle Beach ... 

Eh, those of us who live in the Carolinas refer to Myrtle Beach as The Redneck Riviera.  Or Gastonia by the Sea.  Cruise ships are a whole lot nicer.  

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Mum2Mercury said:

Eh, those of us who livekeishashadow in the Carolinas refer to Myrtle Beach as The Redneck Riviera.  Or Gastonia by the Sea.  Cruise ships are a whole lot nicer.  

Many people consider cruising a redneckish travel choice also, so don't break your arm patting yourself on the back! keishashadow was making a good point, so no need to disparage their vacation choice.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Mum2Mercury said:

Eh, those of us who live in the Carolinas refer to Myrtle Beach as The Redneck Riviera.  Or Gastonia by the Sea.  Cruise ships are a whole lot nicer.  

I see no difference between a MB tourist and a RCCL cruiser.  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, jean87510 said:

I see no difference between a MB tourist and a RCCL cruiser.  

I don’t either, since I do both!  And I’ve been known to wear shorts to dinner both places.

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, ATG said:

I don’t either, since I do both!  And I’ve been known to wear shorts to dinner both places.

My husband and I do as well.  We enjoy annoying people especially after a couple of beers.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

On 6/8/2023 at 9:17 AM, ETski said:

We are bringing two teenage grandsons on a cruise this summer. Since the boys don't have a lot of dress clothes would they be able to wear nice shorts to the dinningroom? 

• Back to the OP
  1. The answer is Yes, It's OK
  • To Everyone Else
  1. People who want to dress up are OK -- I am not an anachronistic curmudgeon.  I just like to dress up!
  2. People who dress down are OK -- dress-up people don't love it, and that will have to be OK, too.
  • To me:
  1. I'm bored with this now. 🙃
  2. I'm not sure all this formatting was worth it.

Teddie

Edited by teddie
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

6 minutes ago, teddie said:

• Back to the OP
  1. The answer is Yes, It's OK
  • To Everyone Else
  1. People who want to dress up are OK -- I am not an anachronistic curmudgeon.  I just like to dress up!
  2. People who dress down are OK -- dress-up people don't love it, and that will have to be OK, too.
  • To me:
  1. I'm bored with this now. 🙃
  2. I'm not sure all this formatting was worth it.

Teddie

The formatting was worth it! Nice. But ALL you ever needed to say was your #1. Its all that matters.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, fredmdcruisers said:

The formatting was worth it! Nice. But ALL you ever needed to say was your #1. Its all that matters.

Thanks--I wanted to give equal mention to all parties 🙂

Here is one more element:

• TO RCI
  1. If you build it, they will come
  2. All the way to the bank.

Teddie

21 hours ago, Husky1987 said:

There are always going to be people who pay for a Toyota Camry and then complain that it isn't all decked out like a Rolls Royce Ghost.

Who needs Crocs, when you can have Crocs with headlights.  This should help hairy legs draw all the attention they need under the table. 

IMG_2748.thumb.webp.9be3b238769e8adf7e2a375c198007c0.webp

• Haha 4

21 hours ago, Mum2Mercury said:

I lived in the Greenville, SC area for 5 years and still have family that lives in that area. I never heard anyone refer to Myrtle Beach by either of the terms you mentioned.  

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Cruise5life said:

Wow this thread has really gone off the deep edge.    
how is this thing still around.  Lol.  

To be fair, it has been marginally entertaining to a degree at times..🙃

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Cruise5life said:

Wow this thread has really gone off the deep edge.    
how is this thing still around.  Lol.  

Well, I guess we should stop discussing in this discussion board.