Shorts in the dinning room

33 minutes ago, 3CatsInMA said:

So why else would you ask my name?

Given what you have disclosed about your cruising history, there is a good chance we've shared a ship at some point. I'm sure you remember seeing me at dinner.😉

They probably remember your shoes and hairy legs. 

Edited by A&L_Ont
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, goldfish65 said:

Bottom line, there is no enforced dress code rule regarding shorts in the dining room. 

Not sure I want to mention this again as this thread has got a bit personal but there is on UK departing cruises. We saw people turned away last summer on Anthem.

Just saying....

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Tin can said:

Not sure I want to mention this again as this thread has got a bit personal but there is on UK departing cruises. We saw people turned away last summer on Anthem.

Just saying....

Thank you I was assuming I knew what I was talking about and we all know what happens when we assume haha!

16 minutes ago, Tin can said:

Just saying....

Kudos to the staff that had stones to do that. But if they don't, so be it. 

8 minutes ago, goldfish65 said:

Thank you I was assuming I knew what I was talking about and we all know what happens when we assume haha!

No problem 😄, this is a US forum and the Royal section is heavily Florida/Miami based and of course I respect that.

These shorts or no shorts threads just explode and sometimes its lost that Royal is world wide and things in other places can be different.

As it happens I don't really care 😄 what people wear but I would not like people turning up at Southampton for a cruise thinking its the same as Florida. We are quite a formal lot in the UK and to be honest Europe is not too dissimilar. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, davekathy said:

Kudos to the staff that had stones to do that. But if they don't, so be it. 

They did, we were in the MDR every night and the staff and management read the room and act accodingly. Anthem with a predominently British crowd is very different to a 3 day anything goes Florida cruise.

We are UK based but sail mostly with Royal from the States and I can say with some certainty that the average Brit is not quite ready for some of the attire (or lack of) that we have witnessed sailing from Florida.

We love it though.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Tin can said:

They did, we were in the MDR every night and the staff and management read the room and act accodingly. Anthem with a predominently British crowd is very different to a 3 day anything goes Florida cruise.

We are UK based but sail mostly with Royal from the States and I can say with some certainty that the average Brit is not quite ready for some of the attire (or lack of) that we have witnessed sailing from Florida.

We love it though.

When in Rome...

Edited by davekathy

2 hours ago, Tatka said:

Strings? Nudity?

If there is no minimum, there is no minimum.

No irony,

Bottom line, the HOST, in this case Royal, gets to decide what the "minimum" is.  Currently, for sailings in the Caribbean (possibly elsewhere), that's shorts and sandals (crocs).

You, as the GUEST, get to decide if that minimum is acceptable to you.  If not, find another vacation or don't go to MDR.  Seems pretty simple to me. Why participate in something that offends and frustrates you so much (although you "enjoy every second")?

• Like 5

57 minutes ago, Tin can said:

We love it though.

Anthem out of Cape Liberty is very casual.  Lots of shorts once the ship gets farther south.  Interesting they enforce the recommendations on your side of the pond. 🙂 

36 minutes ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

Bottom line, the HOST, in this case Royal, gets to decide what the "minimum" is.  Currently, for sailings in the Caribbean (possibly elsewhere), that's shorts and sandals (crocs).

You, as the GUEST, get to decide if that minimum is acceptable to you.  If not, find another vacation or don't go to MDR.  Seems pretty simple to me. Why participate in something that offends and frustrates you so much (although you "enjoy every second")?

This is not a case for cruises out of NJ (Anthem, Oasis etc) or Baltimore, or maybe absolute majority does not dine in crocs. This is why I was surprised on Liberty 5 dayer to Bermuda recently.

Suggestion to change vacation is really clever although not called for.

Can you show me any documents Currently, for sailings in the Caribbean (possibly elsewhere), that's shorts and sandals (crocs).

If you do not have it ... and RCI website does not have this information, it is most likely that crew just does not want to have confrontations.

44 minutes ago, Tatka said:

This is not a case for cruises out of NJ (Anthem, Oasis etc) or Baltimore, or maybe absolute majority does not dine in crocs. This is why I was surprised on Liberty 5 dayer to Bermuda recently.

Suggestion to change vacation is really clever although not called for.

Can you show me any documents Currently, for sailings in the Caribbean (possibly elsewhere), that's shorts and sandals (crocs).

If you do not have it ... and RCI website does not have this information, it is most likely that crew just does not want to have confrontations.

But the crew gets to make that choice.  Royal gets to decide which of their policies they enforce.  YOU don't 

If it is so offensive to you, why put up with it?

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

But the crew gets to make that choice.  Royal gets to decide which of their policies they enforce.  YOU don't 

If it is so offensive to you, why put up with it?

Not sure why you are explaining things to me. And even better why you are offering advice. With 27 cruises with RCI alone I think I have enough experience to know everything about cruising.

I also can voice my opinion, You may skip it if it is upsetting you.

Edited by Tatka

41 minutes ago, Tatka said:

Other than the suggested attire on the website, do you have any documentation that specifically prohibits shorts and crocs?

43 minutes ago, Tatka said:

it is most likely that crew just does not want to have confrontations.

In all your many cruises, on your many lines, how many times have you confronted someone directly in the mdr about their attire or hairy legs?   How many times have you asked the maitre d to move your party due to someone else's attire or hairy legs?  My guess is none. My guess is you say nothing and just whine under your breath and come on these boards and opine anonymously. If you really felt this strongly, you’d have the courage to address this yourself, in-person like a big boy or girl. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Tatka said:

Sure, I will start confrontation with people who only has crocs.

I am already paying attention on 65 posts person. What next? LOL

AND;

"With 27 cruises with RCI alone I think I have enough experience to know everything about cruising".  Post #266

LOL LOL LOL LOL

It seems that this person places a lot of validity on how many comments, discussions, and/or cruises one makes/has taken.  I've attended 71 of my birthdays, I have to be right with everything I say.  LOL LOL LOL.  I find myself learning more now than I did when I was younger because I listen better now.  But, just because I'm 71 doesn't mean that I am infallible.   

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Tatka said:

During last 20 years we sailed 35+ times to Caribbeans, about 15  times to Bahamas and Bermuda. We sail with my husband. It is our lifestyle choice.  Do you think we do not know something about hot destinations and relaxation? LOL.

I can write books about it.

Casual pants/jeans for 1 hour a day absolutely do not prevent relaxation.

I do know that different people handle situations differently. For instance, some people bring a sweater to the mdr or ice rink because they find it chilly. Shorts and a t-shirt for me in both areas

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Tatka said:

Not yet? When people say nothing can affect their enjoyment of dinner and everyone should have a choice they need to be ready for various choices. It is not only THEIR choices.

I don't understand why people let these things bother them. Once a person wearing shorts sits down, you would not know what he/she is wearing unless you go over and lift up the table cloth. When someone who is not dressed to your standards walks by you, you may never see them again. Why not try and enjoy yourself and quit being bothered by other peoples actions

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Tatka said:

I like this term a Personal Oasis.

Ship's MDR does not strike me as PO at all.

In some reason I feel as people would be really upset if drags will make obvious appearance. 😉

Drags? Wow.

Are you (de)meaning people dressed in drag?

Oh yes please, I would love it!  I would smile and secretly take in some makeup and fashion tips as these queens have the absolute best fashion sense!  Guess you have never watched Ru Paul or Queer Eye?  You should since you are so into fashion. 

Edited by cruise_co

5 minutes ago, molsonschooner said:

I don't understand why people let these things bother them. Once a person wearing shorts sits down, you would not know what he/she is wearing unless you go over and lift up the table cloth. When someone who is not dressed to your standards walks by you, you may never see them again. Why not try and enjoy yourself and quit being bothered by other peoples actions

There is a reason we pick certain places to vacation and do not pick others. Certain restaurants. It is not only food, but whole experience, ambiance. Same with cruise lines. I realize that my last cruise was 5 dayer, so this probably affected passengers mix probably.

We dropped Carnival because there was a big mismatch for us. Or should I say too big.