The Fleet Report and Daily for Saturday June 17th, 2023

richwmn

Susan @durangoscots huge happy birthday wishes to you from me!  🎂🎈

I have news about this morning's game.  It was a nailbiter at the end.  It was 3 to 0 Jags and then the coach made some unwise substitutions and moves on the field the last 15 minutes.  He was missing one of his defenders due to mono so he put Ren in the midfield at the end instead of forward.  The other team started rapidly scoring and it ended regulation time tied 3 to 3.  The game ended in penalty kicks and the Jags got 9 and the LA Surf only got 8 so Jags won!  This is the 3rd summer the LA Surf played Ren and Colton (Tigers then Jags) and they've lost all 3 times!   Next game is tomorrow, Sunday at 5 pm against St Louis City U-16.  The Jags played them twice this season - won once and lost once but are the only team to beat St Louis City all season.  This sounds like another hard game!  I'm just glad they can continue on.  And as far as I know no one was hurt on our side.  🙏

• Like 15

@durangoscots happy birthday Susan! 
@aliaschief you’re visiting some interesting places!  Enjoy!  We had the good fortune to stay at a wine agents home there 😀 

@Quartzsite Cruiser we did most of our road trips in our motor home and later fifth wheel.  But now we’ve got a permanent lot, so back to car.  I’d think I’d like a small motorhome, but with some of those prices hotels look good, as do cruises 😉

• Like 9

10 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

I have news about this morning's game.  It was a nailbiter at the end.  It was 3 to 0 Jags and then the coach made some unwise substitutions and moves on the field the last 15 minutes.  He was missing one of his defenders due to mono so he put Ren in the midfield at the end instead of forward.  The other team started rapidly scoring and it ended regulation time tied 3 to 3.  The game ended in penalty kicks and the Jags got 9 and the LA Surf only got 8 so Jags won!  This is the 3rd summer the LA Surf played Ren and Colton (Tigers then Jags) and they've lost all 3 times!   Next game is tomorrow, Sunday at 5 pm against St Louis City U-16.  The Jags played them twice this season - won once and lost once but are the only team to beat St Louis City all season.  This sounds like another hard game!  I'm just glad they can continue on.  And as far as I know no one was hurt on our side.  🙏

Sandi, I'm glad the Jags won, but what was the coach thinking.  I hope they do well tomorrow.

10 minutes ago, bennybear said:

@aliaschief you’re visiting some interesting places!  Enjoy!  We had the good fortune to stay at a wine agents home there 😀 

@Quartzsite Cruiser we did most of our road trips in our motor home and later fifth wheel.  But now we’ve got a permanent lot, so back to car.  I’d think I’d like a small motorhome, but with some of those prices hotels look good, as do cruises 😉

I know what you mean, but with the motorhome you have everything you need.  The last few summers before 2020, we would start out in the motorhome, find a good cruise deal, and return home to go cruising.

Lenda

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Sandi, I'm glad the Jags won, but what was the coach thinking.  I hope they do well tomorrow.

I know what you mean, but with the motorhome you have everything you need.  The last few summers before 2020, we would start out in the motorhome, find a good cruise deal, and return home to go cruising.

Lenda

Lenda, DH has been wondering what is wrong with this coach for months now.  He is a former professional soccer player but has little experience in coaching.  He has been playing every player every game no matter what up until today apparently.  He will take out his top players to put the other players in even if it's not in the best interest of the game.  Lately they've tied several games because the scorers were benched at the end.  He should have put Colton in midfield and left Ren at forward.  The Tigers had a much better coach!  And hopefully the FC Dallas team Ren's joining in July-August has a better coach too.  

The Jags up until this year used to tie or lose and this is the best year ever for that team.  They've never won this many games in one season.  I wonder why?  Three well-trained Tigers joined them last fall.  They went from a ranking in the 900's to top 20 this year even with the coach seemingly trying to sabotage them.  If they make it to the semi-finals and finals this tournament it will be in spite of the coach's ineptitude.  JMHO.  But whatever happens, we must accept it.  These upcoming games won't be easy!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, dfish said:

One of my two complaints about the food on the BHBs is that they are stingy with the vegetables. 

I agree.  We always request a plate of vegetables be brought to our table every night.  They are usually fresh cooked and the assortment varies.  Very nice addition to our meal.

• Like 12

Since many people fly to and from Australia for cruises, this news seems pertinent.

QANTAS is announcing a project to reduce jet lag in its longest flights, those to New York and London. The changes include reordering the meal and light-out times to help passengers adjust to the time at the destination, and a wellness area on board, with handles for stretching safely and exercise videos.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/travel/2023/06/17/qantas-jet-lag-research-sydney-new-york-flights/

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

39 minutes ago, 0106 said:

I agree.  We always request a plate of vegetables be brought to our table every night.  They are usually fresh cooked and the assortment varies.  Very nice addition to our meal.

I've found this to be true on other cruise ships, a little less true on RCI than on HAL or NCL, but I almost always order a vegetable or salad starter, sometimes two. Requesting extra vegetables with the main course doesn't work as well when traveling solo, because they sometimes bring enough to share with a group, even if I'm seated alone at a two-top.

FWIW, dinner tonight was steamed broccoli,two servings by my measure and at least four by a cruise line's, with grilled salmon.

Edited by kochleffel
  • Like 15

In the sad news department, I just read on the news that another Pa State Police Trooper has paid the ultimate price. It happened around 3 pm in Mifflintown . 2 Troopers were shot and 1died at hospital and the other is in serious condition. The shooter was also killed. 💔🙏

Edited by 1ANGELCAT
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 7

1 hour ago, bennybear said:

Here is our experience with a motor home.  In 1991 we bought a small Winnebago MH on a one ton Toyota chassis.  Seemed like a perfect size as you could drive it to a store without a problem.  Our DD lives in Iowa, so we used it to visit her and to drive down the Oregon coast camping on the beach.  We finally sold it for a couple of reasons.  We found if we wanted to drive to Iowa, we could do 70 mph in the car versus 60 mph in the Winnebago.  It was much easier to stop at a motel for about $70. versus finding a motor home park and hook up the sewer and electrical system, etc.  However, we finally sold it because we found that we didn't use it enough.  At the time WA based license fees on the value of the vehicle, so that was another reason.

Ray

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, durangoscots said:

I have to agree that HAL seems to keep the veggies to a minimum. I sometimes request an extra  veggie plate to be shared at the table. And I nearly always eat salads at lunch since I usually eat in the Lido and can piece together what I want. I am happy to eat mushrooms any time. Have not been to Colon and think I could skip it from the sound of it.

I used to order that veggie platter, but when I asked about it last fall, the waiter didn't seem to know what I was talking about.  I'll keep trying this summer.

4 hours ago, durangoscots said:

Like Mary Kay, I am down sizing with the thought of moving and while I am not planning to move soon, I know I will have to eventually. I am no spring chicken by any means.... actually "celebrating" my 86th birthday today. Had a celebratory breakfast at lunch time at Dennys with a couple of friends (not fancy but it was the only place with room when we went). I know my nephew would not be happy if he has to sort through all the "treasures" in this condo. It is amazing what you can accumulate over time. I am going to be very frugal with shopping on the cruise this winter. I have enough T-shirts to last me. I am past dragging awkward things home on the plane.

Happy Birthday!

HappyBirthday2.jpg.71cfb0aeed722381e17a0c554cf9d3f0.jpg

7 hours ago, luvteaching said:

Good morning, 

It's a more overcast day here today and a rain is in the forecast. DS has been working diligently on the roofing and the front half is now all shingled and the back is all papered so we're good. Hopefully done by the end of the next week. 

DH is progressing and really has done well this week. It's like a switch has been turned on in his brain as he's more alert and definitely more verbal. He's insisting they get him up to go to Bingo on Monday, Wednesday and Friday and Thursday he was doing an Eldergrow activity when I got there. We had his care conference yesterday and therapy continues for at least another week and then we'll set a coming home date! One goal is to be able to get in and out of the car. 

That is wonderful news!   Keep it coming!

3 hours ago, Cruzin Terri said:

Update.

Greetings from JFK. 

We are in the Delta Lounge.  Did not have to leave the secure area.  When we arrived at the Lounge the agent was able to check us in and we are all set.

Enjoying some F&B pre flight and watching the planes taking off.

So far everyone has been super helpful and we have been super impressed with the way Delta has treated us.

Thank you all again for the well wishes.

Terri

I like Delta as well.  We'll be flying with them this summer.

2 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

I think that is the definition of nailbiter, Sandi.  

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Good evening.  The last we heard  the rain was supposed to begin at 8pm.  It's almost 8:30 and so far no rain.  Even the radar shows we should be getting rain.  As usual, the rain will be appreciated, but I'm not holding my breath.

We had the Korean barbecue ribs tonight, and they tasted great, but the meat was not as good as in the past.  At least, there were plenty of veggies in the sauce.

3 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Lenda, DH has been wondering what is wrong with this coach for months now.  He is a former professional soccer player but has little experience in coaching.  He has been playing every player every game no matter what up until today apparently.  He will take out his top players to put the other players in even if it's not in the best interest of the game.  Lately they've tied several games because the scorers were benched at the end.  He should have put Colton in midfield and left Ren at forward.  The Tigers had a much better coach!  And hopefully the FC Dallas team Ren's joining in July-August has a better coach too.  

The Jags up until this year used to tie or lose and this is the best year ever for that team.  They've never won this many games in one season.  I wonder why?  Three well-trained Tigers joined them last fall.  They went from a ranking in the 900's to top 20 this year even with the coach seemingly trying to sabotage them.  If they make it to the semi-finals and finals this tournament it will be in spite of the coach's ineptitude.  JMHO.  But whatever happens, we must accept it.  These upcoming games won't be easy!

Sandi, thanks for the information.  All I can add is some players make good coaches and some don't for whatever reason.

2 hours ago, kochleffel said:

Since many people fly to and from Australia for cruises, this news seems pertinent.

QANTAS is announcing a project to reduce jet lag in its longest flights, those to New York and London. The changes include reordering the meal and light-out times to help passengers adjust to the time at the destination, and a wellness area on board, with handles for stretching safely and exercise videos.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/travel/2023/06/17/qantas-jet-lag-research-sydney-new-york-flights/

Paul, thanks for the link to an interesting article.  Sounds like the changes will be well thought out and based on science.

2 hours ago, 1ANGELCAT said:

In the sad news department, I just read on the news that another Pa State Police Trooper has paid the ultimate price. It happened around 3 pm in Mifflintown . 2 Troopers were shot and 1died at hospital and the other is in serious condition. The shooter was also killed. 💔🙏

That is such sad news.  Our condolences to the officer's family and friends.  I hope the other offiver survives.

Lenda

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

As usual, I'm reading the Daily from back to front.  Life seems to be very upside down here lately!

But anyhow, will Ren's team come play in San Diego Surf Cup this July?  It's a good tournament that draws top teams.  If he's here, we'll go over and cheer him on!

La Jolla Nomads Thanksgiving Tournament is a biggie, too.  DS was a Nomad and then was a captain at University of Pennsylvania.  He always played center mid.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, 1ANGELCAT said:

Sad news.

Prayers 🙏 and condolences to the officer's loved one's.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, AncientWanderer said:

As usual, I'm reading the Daily from back to front.  Life seems to be very upside down here lately!

But anyhow, will Ren's team come play in San Diego Surf Cup this July?  It's a good tournament that draws top teams.  If he's here, we'll go over and cheer him on!

La Jolla Nomads Thanksgiving Tournament is a biggie, too.  DS was a Nomad and then was a captain at University of Pennsylvania.  He always played center mid.

Maxine, no more tournaments this summer for the Michigan Jaguars.  After the next few games (provided they win), they are finished.  I believe the Jags begin practicing again in late July.  

But Ren is finished with the Jags after this week.  He will be attending soccer camps until he moves to Dallas in late July and begins working with FC Dallas.  He's also being contacted by college soccer departments wanting him to come visit (Notre Dame, Indiana and Michigan the past few days).  It would have been fun if the team had come to San Diego and someone unknown to Ren started screaming Go Ren!!  I can picture it now!🏆

• Like 5

2 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Maxine, no more tournaments this summer for the Michigan Jaguars.  After the next few games (provided they win), they are finished.  I believe the Jags begin practicing again in late July.  

But Ren is finished with the Jags after this week.  He will be attending soccer camps until he moves to Dallas in late July and begins working with FC Dallas.  He's also being contacted by college soccer departments wanting him to come visit (Notre Dame, Indiana and Michigan the past few days).  It would have been fun if the team had come to San Diego and someone unknown to Ren started screaming Go Ren!!  I can picture it now!🏆

Oh, darn.  Couldn't hurt to ask.  It's funny, I think sometimes the coaches bring teams out here because they want some summer vacation in San Diego.  The Surf Cup is a really pleasant tournament. They play on polo fields at Rancho Santa Fe, which is a beautiful area.

But sounds like Ren has plenty of exciting things coming up.  Go Ren!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, durangoscots said:

Good afternoon. Late today for no reason other than I just really had trouble getting started with anything today. Dogs and I were out early which is a good thing. While it was chilly - only 38 with a forecast high of 68 today, we had a good walk and went further than usual.  As we were headed home the sky began to darken and just as we hit the front of condo the sky opened up. A very cold rain. The sun did reappear about noon but our temps are still below average. That will change in the next couple of days with highs headed into the mid to upper 80's. Nights will still be chilly.... but in the 40's rather than the 30's.

I have to agree that HAL seems to keep the veggies to a minimum. I sometimes request an extra  veggie plate to be shared at the table. And I nearly always eat salads at lunch since I usually eat in the Lido and can piece together what I want. I am happy to eat mushrooms any time. Have not been to Colon and think I could skip it from the sound of it.

Like Mary Kay, I am down sizing with the thought of moving and while I am not planning to move soon, I know I will have to eventually. I am no spring chicken by any means.... actually "celebrating" my 86th birthday today. Had a celebratory breakfast at lunch time at Dennys with a couple of friends (not fancy but it was the only place with room when we went). I know my nephew would not be happy if he has to sort through all the "treasures" in this condo. It is amazing what you can accumulate over time. I am going to be very frugal with shopping on the cruise this winter. I have enough T-shirts to last me. I am past dragging awkward things home on the plane.

So.... I had better get ready to give the boys their afternoon walk and I really should go the store although I will probably put that off until tomorrow. I also need to schedule a appointment for a service appointment for the car .... the dogs have a vet appointment coming up and I have a doctor's appointment coming up too. That means scheduling a lab-work appointment as the lab I used to go to is no long functioning. Staffing problems they say.

Take care all.

Susan

Happy belated birthday Susan! Hope your new year is filled with love, laughter, great health & a cruise!

IMG_3005.jpeg.a8e25c43d2b4d2dfafda9ca43433ec92.jpeg

• Like 3

On 6/17/2023 at 5:17 AM, kazu said:

Pass on the meal suggestion.  It’s Father’s Day weekend and there is normally a sale on lobster.  There’s one again although it’s $5 more per pound than it used to be.  I think you can guess what my dinner will be 😉 

FBEE2C1F-9EEB-4934-8CE2-BDEAECC7B9F2.jpeg.35b0c197c0bc8046ead293d086c9504b.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Haha 4