Cleveland Clinic

travling1

22 minutes ago, travling1 said:

I was wondering if the Cleveland clinic was still a part of the new Crystal ?  There was a strong connection between the two in the past.  

Thanks...

I don't remember that the relationship lasted very long. I have a vague recollection of it, but it seems that it wasn't anytime near the demise of old Crystal. 

Patty

• Like 1

Just as a follow up question, did Cleveland Clinic provide onboard clinical services or just telemedicine capability?  

One of my colleagues brother (who is also a physician) has been working on cruise ships for several years.  He has had difficulties obtaining a license in the US, but can work via his Philippine Medical License on ships.  I recently had dinner with them and he was telling me that he works for a staffing company based in Florida, and is not an employee to the cruise ship.  He did indicate that he has telemedicine capabilities but I do not remember with what organization.

31 minutes ago, howiefrommd said:

Just as a follow up question, did Cleveland Clinic provide onboard clinical services or just telemedicine capability?  

One of my colleagues brother (who is also a physician) has been working on cruise ships for several years.  He has had difficulties obtaining a license in the US, but can work via his Philippine Medical License on ships.  I recently had dinner with them and he was telling me that he works for a staffing company based in Florida, and is not an employee to the cruise ship.  He did indicate that he has telemedicine capabilities but I do not remember with what organization.

I do not believe the Cleveland Clinic  ever provided onboard clinical services in terms of the doctors and nurses or other related support. They provided lecturers who covered a range of medical and other health related items.

The doctors and nurses which Crystal has used come from different places including South Africa, Eastern and Western Europe the USA  and South America to name a few . I am sure they use a staffing company for this. I know of at least one doctor who is returning.  I also know there are times when they consult with those on land when they need help in an area that is not part of their core discipline. I know this because one time the ships doctor had to consult with a land based person about my situation.  Thankfully, they were wrong but I had to go off the ship while the ship thankfully had an overnight to be checked and cleared to return.

Keith  

I have presented twice on different cruises but for a limited audience. Mostly physicians getting their CMEs.  Although the cruise was free, not how I wanted to spend my vacation.  People would stop me non stop with questions, follow up stuff, etc. I could stay at work for that lol

When I first came to Baltimore, our Medical Center did telemedicine with Renaissance Cruises and that gang (the University based clinical telemedicine staff) had such interesting stories at lunch.  

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, howiefrommd said:

I have presented twice on different cruises but for a limited audience. Mostly physicians getting their CMEs.  Although the cruise was free, not how I wanted to spend my vacation.  People would stop me non stop with questions, follow up stuff, etc. I could stay at work for that lol

When I first came to Baltimore, our Medical Center did telemedicine with Renaissance Cruises and that gang (the University based clinical telemedicine staff) had such interesting stories at lunch.  

We’re your two cruise talks on Crystal?  The reason I ask is one of the items highlighted to the lecturers is that guests enjoy engaging throughout the cruise whether that involves questions or even going for a drink or a meal. 

Keith

1 hour ago, Keith1010 said:

We’re your two cruise talks on Crystal?  The reason I ask is one of the items highlighted to the lecturers is that guests enjoy engaging throughout the cruise whether that involves questions or even going for a drink or a meal. 

Keith

I know one was on Regent, but I do not remember what cruise line the other one was on.  These presentations were solely for physicians who were getting required CME credits not for general passengers (who probably would be bored to death if they attended). There are several professional organizations that put these together so you can get your required credits while on a cruise.  

I have only been on a half dozen or so Crystal Cruises and do not remember if this was one of them. 

18 minutes ago, howiefrommd said:

I know one was on Regent, but I do not remember what cruise line the other one was on.  These presentations were solely for physicians who were getting required CME credits not for general passengers (who probably would be bored to death if they attended). There are several professional organizations that put these together so you can get your required credits while on a cruise.  

I have only been on a half dozen or so Crystal Cruises and do not remember if this was one of them. 

Thank you. 

I've been on a couple of cruises with Crystal where some professional organization was on and had special lectures and such and it was towards their training.

Keith

8 hours ago, Keith1010 said:

I do not believe the Cleveland Clinic  ever provided onboard clinical services in terms of the doctors and nurses or other related support. They provided lecturers who covered a range of medical and other health related items.

That's correct. No actual medical services.

The lecturers I encountered were very clear that they were providing general information that was NOT to be considered as any kind of medical advice or recommendations.  Very much making sure that there was no implication of any kind of doctor-patient relationship.

I wonder if maybe some lawyers decided that this kind of "presentation" was an opening for liability lawsuits.  Note that you don't see lectures on topics that are any kind of "advice" - no financial presentations, no medical or psychological presentations, no legal presentations.  The closest thing might be the classes on social media -- and nowadays that might be opening a can of worms.

Sounds like typical guidance from the attorneys.  Historically (especially if you are employed in the academic world) you are required to disclose any physician - industry relationships (I.e. Pharma, medical manufacturers, consulting, etc.) previous to your presentation.  

Since my audiences have been fellow clinicians, I have never had to have the warning you articulated.   

On 6/19/2023 at 8:34 AM, Keith1010 said:

Oh my gosh, cannot imagine circulating around, much less having dinner, on a Crystal cruise after being prominently outed as a Doctor-Doctor.  It would be like seven days(or more) in one of Dante's Circles of Hell.

• Like 1

I was on a Crystal Cruise one time on a private excursion of 12 people.  Our tour guide was just shooting the breeze with us on and off as we motored along (in a boat) and I heard him ask one very funny guy in my group what he did for a living.  (It was germane to the conversation; he wasn't being nosy). The guy said, "I fix things, kind of like an auto mechanic".  Yes, he was a medical doctor!  😁

~Nancy

• Like 3

On 6/21/2023 at 9:54 PM, oakridger said:

I was on a Crystal Cruise one time on a private excursion of 12 people.  Our tour guide was just shooting the breeze with us on and off as we motored along (in a boat) and I heard him ask one very funny guy in my group what he did for a living.  (It was germane to the conversation; he wasn't being nosy). The guy said, "I fix things, kind of like an auto mechanic".  Yes, he was a medical doctor!  😁

~Nancy

Must share something that happened recently.  Went to lunch with a work friend who is a very well respected physician, has a full professorship and has written many scholarly articles, books and papers. We came from work, so we were wearing our Identification Badges.  The wait staff (who was quite young) asked us what MD meant after the name on ID badge stood for and my friend and colleague answered "Mentally Deficient."  Made my day!

• Haha 4

23 hours ago, howiefrommd said:

Must share something that happened recently.  Went to lunch with a work friend who is a very well respected physician, has a full professorship and has written many scholarly articles, books and papers. We came from work, so we were wearing our Identification Badges.  The wait staff (who was quite young) asked us what MD meant after the name on ID badge stood for and my friend and colleague answered "Mentally Deficient."  Made my day!

Howie, I’ve been curious since you started posting. I think I’m ready to ask. Is the ACP your professional organization? And if so, what other, if pertinent, like ACG or ACC, etc.

10 hours ago, May B said:

Howie, I’ve been curious since you started posting. I think I’m ready to ask. Is the ACP your professional organization? And if so, what other, if pertinent, like ACG or ACC, etc.

Actually going back in time trained in EM. So I guess ACEP would be the closest professional organization.  However for most of my professional life I have been in research, primarily dealing with Medical Quality of Care/Quality Analytics.  Have been out of the clinical arena for years.  Have been in the public and or private sector for the last 30 years or so.  Now that I am in the twilight of my career, have been dealing with medical education.  Have sat on a bunch of advisory panels at CDC, FDA and CMS.  Happily I can say I will be starting the next chapter of my life, now I just have to figure out what that is lol

17 hours ago, howiefrommd said:

Actually going back in time trained in EM. So I guess ACEP would be the closest professional organization.  However for most of my professional life I have been in research, primarily dealing with Medical Quality of Care/Quality Analytics.  Have been out of the clinical arena for years.  Have been in the public and or private sector for the last 30 years or so.  Now that I am in the twilight of my career, have been dealing with medical education.  Have sat on a bunch of advisory panels at CDC, FDA and CMS.  Happily I can say I will be starting the next chapter of my life, now I just have to figure out what that is lol

Sounds like a great career, Howie. Have fun deciding the next chapter. Then have fun with the execution!

If I remember correctly (or incorrectly!), Cleveland Clinic name was used to market some sort of a excercise flotation vest that was available onboard (for a fee?).  I don’t think there was any “strong relationship” between Crystal and Cleveland Clinic.  It was basically a mutual marketing arrangement at best.  I’m not even sure the actual medical services at Cleveland Clinic was even mentioned in the marketing material onboard.  

You are right about the Walk on Water program utilizing weight Walkvests. From what I remember but I could be wrong I do not believe it was part of Cleveland Clinic but this and the Nordic Walking Poles and other classes tied to keeping fit.

Keith

Walkvest was a product "invented" by a fitness coach.  The product spawned numerous competitors, and the Walkvest company no longer exists.  It was a stand-alone promotion, as was the one for the walking poles (can't remember that company's name).  Other corporate tie-ins included Taylor for the golf clubs and Norwell for the outdoor exercise equipment on Symphony.

And yes, no Cleveland Clinic tie-in for the walking -- all they did was speakers.

Some years ago, I was boarding Seabourn Legend with my husband. For the story to make sense you need to know that

a) He is 16 years older than I am although he doesn't look a day over 15 years older 😉

b) He has a doctoral degree but is not in medicine and does not use the title "Doctor" socially 

c) I am a (medical) doctor and do use the title

When we walked up to the man with the checklist, he asked for our last name, which we shared. We are correctly listed on the manifest as Mr. and Dr. Dylaness.

He looks directly at my husband and says "Welcome aboard, Dr. Dylaness!" and then to me and says "Welcome aboard, Mrs. Dylaness!"

My husband doesn't miss a beat and says to him--- "You've got it all wrong- SHE'S the doctor. I'm just her trophy husband".  

We all had a good laugh and I love telling this story.  So many assumptions all rolled into one faux pas!

• Haha 3

According to the etiquette books which nobody reads anymore, they say that the correct addressing of such a couple is Dr…Dylaness and Mr. Dylaness OR, if he uses the title Dr. and Dr……. The Mr. Doctor half takes the second place (if he doesn’t use it socially) and the Mrs. Doctor gets first billing.  He’s supposed to be used to it.😎 Crystal did it wrong.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, suzeluvscruz said:

According to the etiquette books which nobody reads anymore, they say that the correct addressing of such a couple is Dr…Dylaness and Mr. Dylaness OR, if he uses the title Dr. and Dr……. The Mr. Doctor half takes the second place (if he doesn’t use it socially) and the Mrs. Doctor gets first billing.  He’s supposed to be used to it.😎 Crystal did it wrong.

Except it was Seabourn.

• Haha 1