Cleveland Clinic

travling1

3 minutes ago, suzeluvscruz said:

My bad. Addled brain with all the bad grammar.

When an article is clumsily written and not proofread, some of us sit up and take notice. 😳🙄

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, May B said:

When an article is clumsily written and not proofread, some of us sit up and take notice. 😳🙄

Unfortunately, I am a product of a small private school that, in the 60s, and even today, is rigorous in its discipline in the English language. Look at those who say “less” when you mean “fewer” and who use the subjective as the subject such as “me and Joe….” ( even major publications, I would drive editors crazy!) Fingernails on the blackboard. No one knows what a blackboard is anyway…how about combining “under” with water  when it is precisely 2 words.  Uh oh can of worms now open. 😉

Edited by suzeluvscruz
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, suzeluvscruz said:

My bad. Addled brain with all the bad grammar.

After spending years as a tech writer and professional editor, bad grammar addles my brain too!

2 hours ago, suzeluvscruz said:

Unfortunately, I am a product of a small private school that, in the 60s, and even today, is rigorous in its discipline in the English language. Look at those who say “less” when you mean “fewer” and who use the subjective as the subject such as “me and Joe….” ( even major publications, I would drive editors crazy!) Fingernails on the blackboard. No one knows what a blackboard is anyway…how about combining “under” with water  when it is precisely 2 words.  Uh oh can of worms now open. 😉

My personal pet peeve: "For all intensive purposes." That one makes my brain hurt!

But the WORST is when people who should know better use "I" instead of "me" at the end of a sentence, as in "They gave the award to John and I." AAAARRRGGHH! I swear I can hear the person being drilled as a kid, "Never say John and me! Always say John and I!" Which, of course, is correct when it's before the verb. I see this mistake in major publications, hear it from key-note speakers and high-level politicians - come ON people! And what's so infuriating is that it's so damn easy to know when to use I or me: just pluck out the other person's name and see what sounds right. HOW HARD IS THAT??? 😝

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Leejnd4 said:

After spending years as a tech writer and professional editor, bad grammar addles my brain too!

My personal pet peeve: "For all intensive purposes." That one makes my brain hurt!

But the WORST is when people who should know better use "I" instead of "me" at the end of a sentence, as in "They gave the award to John and I." AAAARRRGGHH! I swear I can hear the person being drilled as a kid, "Never say John and me! Always say John and I!" Which, of course, is correct when it's before the verb. I see this mistake in major publications, hear it from key-note speakers and high-level politicians - come ON people! And what's so infuriating is that it's so damn easy to know when to use I or me: just pluck out the other person's name and see what sounds right. HOW HARD IS THAT??? 😝

As the son of a professional proof reader, I feel your pain!!😁😁

• Like 2

3 hours ago, suzeluvscruz said:

It's either all right or all wrong [never alright...]

• Haha 1

On 7/5/2023 at 7:36 PM, suzeluvscruz said:

Reading your blackboard comment made me laugh. I was recently in a meeting in which the attendees were all physicians and nurses. I had asked a question in which none of the attendees had an answer. One of the residents said that she would research my concern and give me a call that afternoon. So Howie, being Howie, said “I would appreciate that, but please do not call collect.”

Well it was crickets when I said that.  Turns out not one person knew what a collect call was.  I realize I am at the sunset of my career, but I was not talking party lines lol

Of course not one attendee looked up from their phones at the meeting either. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

On 7/5/2023 at 7:36 PM, suzeluvscruz said:

I am also the product of small private school in NYC where grammar was everything.  I can listen to major news network and spend time correcting grammar or major newspapers.  Wish I was never trained in that as a youth

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ctjon said:

I am also the product of small private school in NYC where grammar was everything.  I can listen to major news network and spend time correcting grammar or major newspapers.  Wish I was never trained in that as a youth

It is a curse, isn't it?😁

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, FlyerTalker said:

I went to a public school.

In an amazing coincidence, grammar was taught to all of those students.  Just like in private schools.

Everyone used to have grammar in school. But our grandkids😱

1 hour ago, FlyerTalker said:

I went to a public school.

In an amazing coincidence, grammar was taught to all of those students.  Just like in private schools.

I also am a product of public schools. Somehow, though, the “less” vs. “fewer” distinction eluded me. At around age 28, we moved to Denve4 and made a few good friends at the bridge club. One of them taught that to me, along with the concept of check digits on bank accts.

I can’t even remember any of my Englishteachers in high school, which may be wh6 tha5 part of my education was somewhat lacking.

Still, I am a ferocious proofreader of anything that’s put before me. Also, I could diagram a sentence! That, though, was from junior high, I think.

😳😁😘🥂

16 minutes ago, May B said:

I also am a product of public schools. Somehow, though, the “less” vs. “fewer” distinction eluded me. At around age 28, we moved to Denve4 and made a few good friends at the bridge club. One of them taught that to me, along with the concept of check digits on bank accts.

I can’t even remember any of my Englishteachers in high school, which may be wh6 tha5 part of my education was somewhat lacking.

Still, I am a ferocious proofreader of anything that’s put before me. 

😆

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, May B said:

Still, I am a ferocious proofreader of anything that’s put before me. Also, I could diagram a sentence! That, though, was from junior high, I think.

😳😁😘🥂

Oh yes the cursed sentence diagramming!

Drives me nuts to hear news commentators talk about "a million and a half" people - who is the half person? They don't understand "one and a half million"....🤯 Maybe if it was in monetary form....

Edited by suzeluvscruz
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, May B said:

😳😁😘🥂

As the son of a professional proof-reader, I approve this post!!😁😁😁😁

• Haha 1

Two things.

The world has changed. We do not right as they did 200 years ago.  Every year new words are created.  Every few years approaches to education good or bad take place.  

I guess if people want perfection maybe they will get this from AI but please, please, please be careful what you wish for.

For me, I can read over something I write 10 times or put together a Power Point Presentation which I give these days twice a month in our community and look that over a zillion times and either right before it goes live or after it is published or presented there is a mistake. To err is human.

So it goes.

Keith

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Keith1010 said:

Two things.

The world has changed. We do not right as they did 200 years ago.  Every year new words are created.  Every few years approaches to education good or bad take place.  

I guess if people want perfection maybe they will get this from AI but please, please, please be careful what you wish for.

For me, I can read over something I write 10 times or put together a Power Point Presentation which I give these days twice a month in our community and look that over a zillion times and either right before it goes live or after it is published or presented there is a mistake. To err is human.

So it goes.

Keith

Keith! Typos and errors are fine! We all make them and “write” not “right” them.  I always get a laugh at your bloopers because I know you are typing 700 wpm😂

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, suzeluvscruz said:

Keith! Typos and errors are fine! We all make them and “write” not “right” them.  I always get a laugh at your bloopers because I know you are typing 700 wpm😂

That I am.

I am a fast typist and started typing very young  I always attribute it to being a lefty. Sometimes when I write with a pen I can't even read what I wrote. At work often I was faster than most of the secretaries. But, if I don't use a spell check between that and auto correct I have had some major errors for sure.  🤣

And for me it's got to be on a key board. On an iPhone or iPad I make way too many mistakes. Unlike my kids I can't do the all thumbs writing on those devices.

Keith

Memories - I remember in HS I took a typing class - not sure why - I was the only male.  Was handy typing papers in college and then when I went into the computer industry it was really needed and I remember people asking me where I learned to  type.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, ctjon said:

Memories - I remember in HS I took a typing class - not sure why - I was the only male.  Was handy typing papers in college and then when I went into the computer industry it was really needed and I remember people asking me where I learned to  type.

I think we had to take typing.  I am so thankful I can type without looking.  Those were the days using white out and that tape you could also use.  Getting an electric typewrite for college was a big thing.  Times have sure changed.

Keith

Over the years I have sat on numerous advisory panels for CDC, FDA and CMS.  What these Agencies do is they take the panels recommendations (and if they agree with them) the codify it into regulation.  Part of the regulation process is they must publish the proposed regulation in the Federal Register for a comment period.  

I remember one time, they published a proposed regulation requesting "Pubic Comment."  When I thought about this, all of us have become so reliant on spellcheck, it has let our guard down.  When you consider the amount of people (Scientific Advisors, Attorneys, Proofreaders, Typists, etc.) this document went through, yet it still went through.

• Haha 3

10 minutes ago, howiefrommd said:

Over the years I have sat on numerous advisory panels for CDC, FDA and CMS.  What these Agencies do is they take the panels recommendations (and if they agree with them) the codify it into regulation.  Part of the regulation process is they must publish the proposed regulation in the Federal Register for a comment period.  

I remember one time, they published a proposed regulation requesting "Pubic Comment."  When I thought about this, all of us have become so reliant on spellcheck, it has let our guard down.  When you consider the amount of people (Scientific Advisors, Attorneys, Proofreaders, Typists, etc.) this document went through, yet it still went through.

Why would you want input from such a limited team... gyn, urology, and orthos doing only symphyseal fx reconstruction?