Tracking Device for Child on Vision of the Seas?

I'm taking my almost 3 yo grandson on Vision of the Seas in August.  He can be a runner and I read that some ships have tracking devices for 3-11 yo.  Does anyone have an first hand knowledge about this ship and if they have them?  I would love to get one for him, too.  Since it is an older ship, I am not sure if it is equipped with them.  Thank you for any advice!  

• Haha 1

I've never heard of it either, so if it exists, I'm thinking it's not on Royal.  What I think Adventure Ocean has is a way to page you to come get your child if there are issues while they are checked in to an Adventure Ocean program.  Vision has very little for children other than the kid's club.  No splash pad/kids pool or mini-golf.  You should check out Adventure Ocean as soon as you board to see what might be offered for a 3 year-old.   

Maybe it was just the “paging” of parents if need be. The thing I read said it was a wristband. I cannot find the little blurb about it. Too bad there is not even a splash pad for the kids. Not sure how much my 6 yo granddaughter will like it. But since she is a bit younger, she may still think it is fun for a while. 

I’ve never heard of such a thing. I do remember on one cruise there was a little boy who was about 3. Every time the cabin door opened he was off and running. As soon as he was caught the little stuffed animal backpack and leash came out. It was the only way they could keep him in check. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, cruiser52forever said:

What a about an apple Air tag,?

I’ve yet to sail with Royal (this fall though), but with Air tags a reliable internet/data connection is req.  … does this ship offer this?  I wouldn’t trust the ship to provide quality internet/data good enuf for a runaway small child.

5 minutes ago, gerif said:

I’ve never heard of such a thing. I do remember on one cruise there was a little boy who was about 3. Every time the cabin door opened he was off and running. As soon as he was caught the little stuffed animal backpack and leash came out. It was the only way they could keep him in check. 

My son thinks those are horrible but as a grandparent, anything that keeps my grandkids safe is fine with me.

• Like 7

I had thought about the tag, but in addition to the cost of WiFi, apparently it would be hard to use a gps in the ocean on a moving ship. Plus the metal in the ship would block a lot of signals. Sadly, I think this whole idea would not work very well. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, gerif said:

...  the little stuffed animal backpack and leash came out ...

I had a fanny pack with a leash when my kids were small ... they LOVED wearing it around Disney World and felt "big" because they could carry a small toy.  

My grandson has a backpack with a leash, and he too loves wearing it.  Cries when his parents take it off of him.  

I couldn't care less whether other people like our family's choices.  My primary motive is keeping my little grandson safe, and at 20 months he is already fast.  

Edited by Mum2Mercury
  • Like 15

6 minutes ago, poocher said:

My son thinks those are horrible but as a grandparent, anything that keeps my grandkids safe is fine with me.

I totally agree. I was a wanderer as a small child and actually had a leather harness and leash (don’t have any actual memories but I’ve seen photos). I’m 76 now and don’t believe it left any psychological damage. Now there are cute backpacks that kids actually like. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, lasekeye said:

I’ve yet to sail with Royal (this fall though), but with Air tags a reliable internet/data connection is req.  … does this ship offer this?  I wouldn’t trust the ship to provide quality internet/data good enuf for a runaway small child.

I was also going to suggest an Apple AirTag.  The air tag doesn't have it's own internet connection.  It is detected by nearby iphones.  I use them in my luggage and can always see them on the cruise ship.  Every once in a while, one of them doesn't update its location (for whatever unknown reason),  so it could send a person into a panic unnecessarily.

So I wouldn't count on the air tag, but it might be a useful tool.

7 minutes ago, PhoenixCruiser said:

The Vision is a small ship so I don't see this as being an issue.   Oasis class is another story.

Small is a very relative term when talking about a 3 year old’s ability to disappear in the blink of an eye.  

• Like 8

I would think the harness would be the best thing. Gives the kid a little freedom so he isn’t right next to the parent all the time and it still keeps him safe. Only problem is if there is too much leeway he could get in between people with the leash and annoy others if he is weaving in and out of them. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, D4 said:

I was also going to suggest an Apple AirTag.  The air tag doesn't have it's own internet connection.  It is detected by nearby iphones.  I use them in my luggage and can always see them on the cruise ship.  Every once in a while, one of them doesn't update its location (for whatever unknown reason),  so it could send a person into a panic unnecessarily.

So I wouldn't count on the air tag, but it might be a useful tool.

It leverages nearby iphones that have an internet connection.   

You are assuming enough other people have paid voom plans AND the geolocation of those devices is accurate which they won't be inside the ship.   Instead they may report the last good GPS fix hours ago in the middle of the ocean.

Airtags are not real time down to the second.  When I check on the in my backpack the location is often old and not accurate down to the foot.  

If a child is a runner there is way too much bad that could occur long before you could track them AND catch them.  

• Like 4

I have an airtag in my backpack on board Navigator right now.  My backpack is my cabin.   We just were in Mazatlan yesterday,  Puerto Vallarta today, but we've left and are now at sea.  

Let's pretend my backpack is child.  I'm in the pub.  Where's Waldo?   OMG he just ran off.  Let's see where Waldo is!

1687319107430.thumb.jpg.01acd70de66db9b0d4332d1dba977df5.jpg

OMG we left Waldo in Mazatlan yesterday!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 8