The real reason it cost more for everything on Celebrity

1 hour ago, TeeRick said:

Well the US is still the only country that uses centuries-old measurements.  Apparently we are too unintelligent to adopt the worldwide standard metric measurements.😉

but the good news is that labels usually have both measurements listed. As in "17 fl oz/500 ml." 

I had to adapt when I immigrated to the US, but it's no big deal.

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy

Well the US is still the only country that uses centuries-old measurements.  Apparently we are too unintelligent to adopt the worldwide standard metric measurements.😉

When I talk about how heavy something is I have to use pounds versus kilograms. I am set in my weighs. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

All countries use centuries-old measurement systems.  😀

I am actually surprised we haven't had another big push to convert.   Just too expensive I reckon.  

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, TeeRick said:

Showing my age here, when I was in grade school back in the 70's the metric system was going to be the new thing in the next ten years and it made perfect sense to me how it worked (still can't read a tape measure beyond the basics). My dad told me not to get too excited, industries would not let it happen due to the cost of retrofitting everything and they don't see a $$ upside to doing it. I'm sure there are other reasons why it hasn't happened, it's just too bad. That said, in a way it has. I have metric tools because many things I work on have metric parts, so it just makes things more confusing.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Mike981 said:

Showing my age here, when I was in grade school back in the 70's the metric system was going to be the new thing in the next ten years and it made perfect sense to me how it worked (still can't read a tape measure beyond the basics). My dad told me not to get too excited, industries would not let it happen due to the cost of retrofitting everything and they don't see a $$ upside to doing it. I'm sure there are other reasons why it hasn't happened, it's just too bad. That said, in a way it has. I have metric tools because many things I work on have metric parts, so it just makes things more confusing.

If they had implemented it then we would have been so much better off now.  Start teaching it in grade school and the new generations would pick it up quickly.  

• Like 3

On 6/27/2023 at 10:10 PM, miched said:

Yes it is.  We live in Michigan.  Always hear that seafood is cheaper in Fl,  BS.  

The good seafood restaurants here have it flown in fresh.   We get great quality and value compared to a lot of areas that are on the coast.  

There is a place near us called Lilys Seafood Grill and Brewery.  It is also a brew pub.   They originally were in FL.  They were the founders of A1A in St Augustine and also Ragtime.   They moved back to Royal Oak Mi and have the best seafood, beer and reasonable prices.  

https://www.lilysseafood.com

The chef told me that they also have their seafood flown in fresh when needed.  Basically a lot of it is flash frozen like a lot of seafood that is sold as fresh in the markets.  

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Will have to try that place

4 hours ago, gfkcruiser said:

Will have to try that place

If you do try their Salmon Ruben.   It is our go to favorite.  We always upgrade it to Sweet Potato Fries.  

The food on their brunch is really good. 

You can’t go wrong with anything on their menu.  

We joined their mug club and also wine club years ago.   We live about 35 miles away but have got our value out of it. 

Don’t be shy about asking for a sample of the beer you want to order.  

Received a Email from the Whitney.   It is a very nice dining experience.   Great food

This is a great deal.  I think the Whitney is rated as one of the best restaurants in the area 

https://www.thewhitney.com/

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

IMG_0611.png

Edited by miched

On 6/29/2023 at 1:39 PM, Mike981 said:

It became very confusing when working on an American Car.  They would have a mix of metric and standard.  I mentioned  it to one of the engineers that designed the cars.  I said why don’t they just use all metric and not make it so confusing when working on a car?   His answer was it is easy to tell if it is metric or not.  If it is painted blue it is metric.   I said that is great when the car is new but here in Michigan after a few years of the salt during the winter that blue is no longer there.   You don’t know if it is metric, standard or has been eroded.  

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

• Like 1

2 hours ago, miched said:

It became very confusing when working on an American Car.  They would have a mix of metric and standard.  I mentioned  it to one of the engineers that designed the cars.  I said why don’t they just use all metric and not make it so confusing when working on a car?   His answer was it is easy to tell if it is metric or not.  If it is painted blue it is metric.   I said that is great when the car is new but here in Michigan after a few years of the salt during the winter that blue is no longer there.   You don’t know if it is metric, standard or has been eroded.  

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

(Minnesota here) 100% agree, I drive a 23 year old vehicle and I'm lucky if I can get the bolts loose let alone know if it is standard or metric because it is so rusty. Luckily I drive a Toyota product and a lot of it is a 10mm. Since parts come from all over the world, mixing of sizes is not going to go away until the good old USA changes.

My father-in-law would not drive anything that wasn't "American made". I explained to him that the current climate is cars are made all over the world and that an American vehicle has hands on it from just that, all over world. I even used the fact that my John Deere (made in Illinois) uses metric and he said to stop talking about it. 

13 hours ago, TeeRick said:

If they had implemented it then we would have been so much better off now.  Start teaching it in grade school and the new generations would pick it up quickly.  

Oh it has been picked up by most.  It is widely used in engineering.  I am not sure why signs, and other mostly measures are still in feet and pounds.

Is this on topic 🙂 

Edited by NMTraveller

On 6/26/2023 at 12:17 PM, Mike981 said:

SHRINKFLATION: It is a very real thing.

Also, I swear they are making 2 ply toilet paper as thin as the old 1 ply.

I use a bidet.  Problem (mostly) solved.

As a side note, I never knew I needed a bidet until I got one.  Hard to understand why more Americans don't use them, on many counts.

Much more hygienic.  Cheaper, as it cuts down massively on TP costs.  Leaves you feeling fresher and cleaner.  Even feels kind of pleasant.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 6/27/2023 at 10:10 PM, miched said:

Yes it is.  We live in Michigan.  Always hear that seafood is cheaper in Fl,  BS.  

The good seafood restaurants here have it flown in fresh.   We get great quality and value compared to a lot of areas that are on the coast.  

There is a place near us called Lilys Seafood Grill and Brewery.  It is also a brew pub.   They originally were in FL.  They were the founders of A1A in St Augustine and also Ragtime.   They moved back to Royal Oak Mi and have the best seafood, beer and reasonable prices.  

https://www.lilysseafood.com

The chef told me that they also have their seafood flown in fresh when needed.  Basically a lot of it is flash frozen like a lot of seafood that is sold as fresh in the markets.  

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Menu for Lily's looked great.  The commute would be tough from Atlanta.  Our seafood selections here suck.  I can only dream of steamed crabs like I grew up eating around Washington DC area. Just came back from a trip to DC area and DW was patient as I ate a dozen XL crabs 2 days in a row.  

Liked the beer presentations too!  🙂

Edited by shipshape sam

On 6/27/2023 at 10:45 AM, miched said:

Yesterday we had lunch at a local restaurant that isn’t a greasy spoon.   

We both had the lobster roll.   It is 1/2 lb of lobster and choice of sides.   It was $24 and it wasn’t  a lunch or any other special.  Normal price that is always on the menu

Compared to the lobster rolls they have been serving in Luminae lately I think Celebrity would have made at least 20 lobster rolls out of it.

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

IMG_1096.jpeg

Aloha. In Manhattan a lobster roll with french fries is $35. In Hawaii it is not cheap either. But your charred brussel sprouts looks delicious!

6 hours ago, Stockjock said:

As a side note, I never knew I needed a bidet until I got one.  Hard to understand why more Americans don't use them, on many counts.

Much more hygienic.  Cheaper, as it cuts down massively on TP costs.  Leaves you feeling fresher and cleaner.  Even feels kind of pleasant.

Quite a bit of TMI but since you brought it up I have to ask, once you’ve been bideted, don’t you need to towel off?

On 7/1/2023 at 12:03 AM, Stockjock said:

I have toyed with the idea of getting one for a loooong while, do you have a suggestion on one to buy? And thank you.

On 6/30/2023 at 3:42 PM, miched said:

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Thats why a 13MM wrench fits on a 1/2" bolt/nut and an 8MM fits on a 5/16" bolt nut?😉

In Michigan a Good pair of Vice Grips fits everything.......🤪

3 hours ago, Mike981 said:

I have toyed with the idea of getting one for a loooong while, do you have a suggestion on one to buy? And thank you.

You Do Not need a Bidet. If you have spent any time in Japan lately you would find they have a device that replaces a standard Toilet Seat and does everything you need and even with adjustable water temperature! But for that you need a nearby electrical outlet.

They are so common today even most Public toilets have them.  Toto we are not in Kansas anymore.............

• Like 1

The UK moved towards metric in 1965. I was born in 1962 and it was metric in school. However we still have a mix with a lean towards metric. Babies and pints of beer always seem to come in pounds!

Fair play to Stock Jock for bringing up bidets. I often use them (not sure if correctly) when on the continent. DW thinks they are disgusting. Looking forward to experiencing the Japanese WC next year.

We have great seafood in the UK. However the British do not appreciate unlike North Americans it and it is exported to the continent (if they are able with Brexit). 

47 minutes ago, hawkesbaynz said:

The UK moved towards metric in 1965. I was born in 1962 and it was metric in school. However we still have a mix with a lean towards metric. Babies and pints of beer always seem to come in pounds!

Fair play to Stock Jock for bringing up bidets. I often use them (not sure if correctly) when on the continent. DW thinks they are disgusting. Looking forward to experiencing the Japanese WC next year.

We have great seafood in the UK. However the British do not appreciate unlike North Americans it and it is exported to the continent (if they are able with Brexit). 

Whot about Fish & Chips? Though the grease makes the newspaper had to read.............

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/28/2023 at 3:52 AM, miched said:

Shrinkflation is nothing new.  Gillette did it in 1924.   They reduced the amount of blades from 12 to 10 to maintain the same price.   

https://hbr.org/2010/09/gillettes-strange-history-with

Look at a “1/2” gallon of ice cream.  It is no longer a 1/2 gallon.   A pound of chips is no longer a pound.

I am sure that eggs will eventually drop to 10 for a “dozen”

Some bars don’t serve a real pint,  they use a 14 oz “pint” glass selling it as pint. When you get it after the foam and short fill you are lucky to get 12 oz

Can’t cheat with the fill lines on the German mugs. 

What ever happened to a bakers dozen?

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

20 oz in a UK pint. Our gallon is also bigger.😀😂😊🐧

On 7/4/2023 at 12:18 AM, D. B. said:

Whot about Fish & Chips? Though the grease makes the newspaper had to read.............

Sorry to disappoint. Wrapping fish in newspaper was banned years ago due to Health and Safety ruling the ink was a health risk.