Are shared tables still happening?

On my recent brilliance of the seas cruise, i was dismayed that for my time dining there was no shared tables available. The attendant person said that people wanted there own tables. Is this still available on other ships or only with traditional dining? Or is this a casualty of covid?

I'm a solo diner so i really enjoy the shared tables.

MTD has always been a small table (2-top) preset unless you are travelling with a large group. However, they have crowded so many small tables into the dining room that you are only a few inches away from the next table anyway. One of the nice things we like about MTD (on those nights we eat there)  is that those people at the neighboring tables change most evenings so we are constantly engaging with new "tablemates" most evenings.

• Like 2

We have had shared tables (requested) and tables for two, in spite of requesting shared. We have enjoyed the company of most of our dining companions, but Royal is not doing as good a job at matching up people with similar trait as they used to. Sometimes a table with all retired couples from Florida, sometimes a retired Florida couple seated with a three-generational family from New York. That family was a lot of fun, not complaining about them.

Edited by ZoeyVictoria
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, ZoeyVictoria said:

We have had shared tables (requested) and tables for two, in spite of requesting shared. We have enjoyed the company of most of our dining companions, but Royal is not doing as good a job at matching up people with similar trait as they used to. Sometimes a table with all retired couples from Florida, sometimes a retired Florida couple seated with a three-generational family from New York. That family was a lot of fun, not complaining about them.

Boy I agree they are doing a lousy job of matching up tables. They used to try a bit. Allure b2b first I got a family group of 5 who wanted to visit and came from different areas. So rude to me. It wasnt my idea to sit with them. I talked to the head waiter who assured me the following week would be better. They sat me 11th at a ten top of 10 family. Never gave me my own seat. I've been moved and you name it. Worst match ups ever. Oasis I got moved so someone in a wheelchair could have my table fine .. send me a note with my new table dont change me and I go sit down and new couple comes in very aggressive. This is the thing they are terrible at lately. 

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Boy I agree they are doing a lousy job of matching up tables. They used to try a bit. Allure b2b first I got a family group of 5 who wanted to visit and came from different areas. So rude to me. It wasnt my idea to sit with them. I talked to the head waiter who assured me the following week would be better. They sat me 11th at a ten top of 10 family. Never gave me my own seat. I've been moved and you name it. Worst match ups ever. Oasis I got moved so someone in a wheelchair could have my table fine .. send me a note with my new table dont change me and I go sit down and new couple comes in very aggressive. This is the thing they are terrible at lately. 

I am so sorry that happened to you, it would definitely have influenced my feelings about the cruise. We have enjoyed our table mates, but some combinations are better than others. They used to all be on the better side. 

When i was on holland america in 2019 they had shared dining with my time dining. The advantage of this is if you didn't like your table mates, there was someone else tomorrow. I was disappointed rcl didn't have this but you are right my dinners were quick.

1 hour ago, sowhat said:

Point Blur_Oct262022_192839.jpg

If was my Table I'd walk on by...even Pre-CV no way I'd sit here. Few Cruises ago I checked out my Table after Boarding, Kool was what/where I requested. At Dinner as we all filed in to our Tables watched as couple at another Table was quickly switching number's, theirs for Mine. Grabbed the Head Waiter to let him deal with moving them. Sad is this isn't first time happened...

1 hour ago, latebuyer said:

When i was on holland america in 2019 they had shared dining with my time dining. The advantage of this is if you didn't like your table mates, there was someone else tomorrow. I was disappointed rcl didn't have this but you are right my dinners were quick.

NCL use to put everyone together at Breakfast and Lunch when Freestyle started 23+ yrs ago, always sitting with someone new. 

2 hours ago, molly361 said:

I know they are doing shared tables with traditional dining don't know about MTD .

Traditional on Anthem in February  I was seated with 4 ladies.  As a solo male held my own. 🤣

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, molly361 said:

I enjoy talking to people in the bars  but am longer interested in eating with the same strangers for dinner every night. I am also a fast eater 

I agree 100%.  We always order and eat fairly quickly.  Sitting down for a long meal is not what we are there to do.

• Like 3

We've always been really fortunate that whenever we have been set at tables with other people we have delightful table mates who were really interesting conversationalists.  Had I had @firefly333's experience I would have demanded a new table.  Being a single or even a couple at a large family grouping would be awful.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

We've always been really fortunate that whenever we have been set at tables with other people we have delightful table mates who were really interesting conversationalists.  Had I had @firefly333's experience I would have demanded a new table.  Being a single or even a couple at a large family grouping would be awful.  

Lol you know helen and marty  ... the ten top was their family, I was the 11th. Of course I wanted a new table. They found a 2 top but never gave me a assigned seat. FAIL!

The week before I was sat with 3 siblings and 2 had wives. The 5 of them were posting on here as if I wanted to sit with them. They were the rude folks. First in 20 years ever so bad. She was heavily drinking. They asked to be moved to sit together. Fine. She was doing a live report and posted here on cc they sat up at their new table giggling and hiding behind menus for fear I might come by and say hello. Wouldnt have recognized them. I recognized from their live post. Anyone doing a live post and making fun of someone because they are solo .. i blame drinking so much. Who does this once they are out of high school. Lol and she was on Bella1 though I never saw her, thank goodness. How embarrassing she was. Not a regular bella poster but she was on bella1. Not smart to do on cc .. make fun of others. Its says a lot about YOU. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, woods1967 said:

@Biker19 i have a 5:30 traditional dining time so would it be feasible when I get on board to check with the head waiter on that type of a request or is there a way to do that prior to my sailing date?

Typically, sending an email to rcldining@rccl.com two weeks before the sailing used to work - recent reports seem to indicate much less success. By the time you board your table assignment is usually fixed but the MDR host might be able to move you.