Time for a 12 day Scandinavian cruise out of Dover om the Carnival Pride

jimbo5544

27 minutes ago, SDPadreFan said:

Cruise Director said no one can debark in Keil due to Customs & Immigration issues (his words). So going ashore is being set up - but not with suitcases.

I think they are referring to a furure date, not today.

1 minute ago, pe4all said:

I can think of worse places to be stuck.  However, I feel for all the people worried about making their flights.  The airlines are a mess right now with lots of cancelled flights for multiple reasons.  Keeping fingers crossed the azipod issue is straightened out.  Perhaps some gorilla glue....

If only we had a gorilla to lift the ship to apply it.  

• Haha 2

29 minutes ago, SDPadreFan said:

This is one case where I'm somewhat glad we have Carnival transfers and Fly2Fun. If we miss our Heathrow to San Diego direct flights, at least Carnival is on the hook to get us another flight. Although it probably won't be as convenient as a direct flight.

We have both as well.  Sometimes that is a plus….sometimes the complexity makes it….unweildly. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, crewsweeper said:

Duck Tape.  Duck tape fixes everything.🦆

I always pack a roll of duct tape in my suitcase.  DH used to make fun of me - until the hem on his pants came down, our suitcase developed a large tear, the vent in our cabin rattled all the time, etc.  Now he asks me if I packed it!

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, mar214 said:

Hi Jimbo-thanks for the updates! All of us Pride people with upcoming cruises are anxious for news! By the way, since you have an additional sea day, would you have time to list the current department managers on Pride, such as food manager, etc.? Totally love having a direct link to everything Pride-related, by the way!!! 😃

Why would you need this information?

My guess is that all of the crew members - especially the department managers - are going to be exceptionally busy.  Are you planning to contact them for things another staff member can take care of, or to bother them about things they can't do anything about?

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, jimbo5544 said:

It is 5:05 pm our time.  Captain just came on and said we will be at dock 6:30 pm.  Guests will not be allowed to get off this evening (sounds like an immigration thing).  They have additional experts boarding to assist with stabilizing the starboard azipod (assume powering it up as well.  If someone could ask our local expert Cheng75(?) about whether this is all possible, it would be good info.  They are working on getting us the OK to get off ship tomorrow….this will be interesting to see how it all works out.  More to follow.  

@chengkp75  sending up a flare for Jimbo

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Kiel has a very large Dry Dock facility.  If the have to used it and it’s available, the passengers will have to be transported (air or sea) back to Dover.  How long of a dry dock, your guess is good as mine?  Could the starboard azipod be severely damage from heavy vibrations and spinning around?  If so, does any one have a free azipod hanging around. I thought I had one in garage, but my wife was tired of it hanging around so she sold on eBay.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

So I have one other thought that I hope will provide some comfort.  I'd totally expect Carnival to step up 100% to get all the pax back home, assuming timely return to Dover isn't possible. It's not anyone's fault if flights are missed. And this isn't like rebooking a SWA ticket from FLL. There is no alternative but to cover everyone's full costs. Failure to do so would be a PR nightmare. No chance that decision gets made. Hang tough everyone. You'll have stories to tell.

Edited by jsglow
  • Like 4

7 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

We are not returning to Dover.  Next cruise is cancelled.  They will get us to Heathrow.  More to follow. 

8 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

We are not returning to Dover.  Next cruise is cancelled.  They will get us to Heathrow.  More to follow. 

Not surprised.  I went to the hardware store but they were out of the big bolts. Sorry guys.

• Haha 7

9 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

Sorry you are having to deal with this. Godspeed! (Not that I'm particularly religious, just seems to fit here...)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jsglow said:

Not surprised.  I went to the hardware store but they were out of the big bolts. Sorry guys.

Just grab some JB Weld --- I patched a fractured engine block/water jacket (350 Chevy) nearly 40 years ago. I proceeded to sell the vehicle (w/full disclosure).  🙂

Tom

• Haha 3

Just read the cancellation letter for the next Pride cruise (scheduled for July 21).  They are trying to plan a shorter cruise that will return to Dover on July 30, and are trying to arrange for the guests already in Europe to sail on a sister line on July 22.   

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1