Our First RC Cruise; How Compare to Princess ...?

Our family - grandparents, parents and two grandsons (age 8 and 11) - are taking a short (4 day) cruise over Christmas this year. We are regular Princess cruisers, but chose RC for the options for the kids.  I've been reading this thread for awhile and sometimes I come across things that seem new and different on RC (i.e. what's a "dinner package"?  And you can't bring an extension cord for your CPAP machine?). 

I'd love hearing from those who are familiar with both RC cruises and Princess cruises about the differences we can expect. (like, this "dinner package" --- isn't dinner included???  😨

ANY and ALL tips will be very appreciated!

We'll be on Liberty of the Seas.

Merci!

The dinner package is for the up charge specialty resaurants. If you book a package prior to boarding, it would be less expensive than going to the resaurants individually without a package. The main dining room is included.

I think you will really enjoy RC.  We love it.  IMO so much better then the princess line.  The kids will have so many wonderful things to do, as will you.  The entertainment is far superior.  The food and service much better then princess.  You cannot bring an extension cord for your Cpap machine but your cabin steward will get you one.  The cord will be confiscated at the pier. A dinner package allows you to dine at the excellent specialty restaurants.  Go on your reservation to see the restaurants and prices for specialty dining.  We always book a few.

Enjoy your cruise!  Next time- Oasis class on Royal!

Edited by Cruise a holic
  • Like 2

We do like the specialty restaurants on rccl and book them , most do not , better pizza on Princess most of the rest we prefer rccl, sailed Liberty of the seas a couple of times , don’t miss the ice show and broadway play Saturday night fever which are good , both should be repeated , lots of music , piano bar , pub with guitar player , etc . 

The kids will have more things to do, and there will be a lot more kids than on a typical Princess cruise. It will most likely be more of a party atmosphere on board, as it is a 4 nighter. The shows and entertainment will be a step up. Quality of Beef and Fish probably not up to Princess standards, RCL does not have a surf and turf option in the MDR on Formal night like on Princess (I have always been able to create my own on RCL though). Not sure how much a Holiday sailing will change this though, as they may up their game for the Holiday sailings.  Cabin service down to once a day unless in suites. Ice show (as someone above mentioned) is awesome.  The overall feel on both lines is quite similar. 

One difference you might not expect (especially with little kids) is that RCCL doesn't have self-serve laundry rooms like Princess does. You can have laundry done in the hot water and hot dryers by the staff, at a cost per item or a once-a-week stuff-everything-you-can-into-this-plastic-bag for $30-35. 

4 minutes ago, Kellie in Texas said:

One difference you might not expect (especially with little kids) is that RCCL doesn't have self-serve laundry rooms like Princess does. You can have laundry done in the hot water and hot dryers by the staff, at a cost per item or a once-a-week stuff-everything-you-can-into-this-plastic-bag for $30-35. 

I don't think that that is offered on 4 night sailings.

3 hours ago, WoodstockGirl said:

I'd love hearing from those who are familiar with both RC cruises and Princess cruises about the differences we can expect

So our most recent cruises have been on both Royal and Princess so I'll give you our opinion.  A big difference in the 2 lines I feel is the dynamic pricing that Royal has, prices on additional add/ons (drink packages, speciality dining packages, wi-fi etc) go up and down pre-cruise.  It's best to buy them on Royal if you have in interest in them and then continually check the prices on your cruise planner in case they drop. If they do you can cancel them and rebook them at the cheaper price.  Princess's prices for add ons are set, and generally cheaper than Royal's.  

We enjoyed the Princess plus program, one price ( I believe it's $60 pp per day now) for drinks, wi-fi and gratuity.  For us they were in line with how much we drink including water, speciality coffees and a few alcoholic drinks).  We have never purchased the drink package on Royal as we would never come close to the $1200-$1400 cost for the 2 of us.

We have found the cruising experience between the 2 very similar and enjoyable for different reasons.  We prefer the entertainment especially on an Oasis class ship over what Princess has to offer. Food is very similar, service we've found to be very good on both, for us really no complaints on either.  Royal we've found to be more families with children and activities and amenities geared towards them, while our Princess cruises were a quieter and older crowd.  It really depends on the itinerary.  We have sailed Royal mostly to the Caribbean, and Princess to Alaska and the California Coastal.

The dining package you refer to is for speciality dining only, if that's something you don't do then disregard.  We have done speciality on both Royal and Princess, and will continue to do so.  Crown Grill and Chops are about the same, but we felt Sabbitini's was pretty average. I feel we find hits and misses on both lines in both speciality and included.  We also like having access to a self service laundry on Princess but I wouldn't make that a deal breaker for any cruise line we are considering.

I do think you're making a good choice to sail on Royal to give it a try and as well as for the kids.  Have a great cruise.

• Like 1

Just got back from a family cruise on Royal--Brilliance of the Seas.  We chose it for the options for the grandkids, ages 8, 10, and 12.  They liked the mini golf and arcade but did few of the other kids' activities.  The water slide was only open for 1 hour daily, weather permitting.  Of course, the larger ships will have more offerings.

Food in general is better on Princess.  Royal's food was pretty bland and didn't always match the menu description.  This may be a positive for your kids.  Pizza is always better on Princess.  Our kids often ordered from the adult menus, which was a definite plus, since the kids' menu is the same every night.

In general, I would say Royal is more casual and Princess is more elegant.  

Kathy

P.S. Plan ahead and bring your own supplies if you want to participate in the egg drop.

• Like 1

10 Princess & 3 RCCL cruises in 20 years.

I like MDR & service better on Princess.

I like specialty dining & theatre shows better on RCCL.

But by & large they are more alike than different.

(Our kids sailed DCL, RCCL & Princess at the ages of your kiddos--now as young adults, they say EVERY cruise they have done was a good time. They loved kid club--and sometimes they didn't. Really depended on other kids. Luckily our kids also enjoy each other's company as well as ours) 

I've saiiled a few times on Princess (Sun, Grand, Crown...) and RCCL (Anthem, Oasis) as well as NCL (Majesty RIP, Gem), and once on Celebrity so I'll share my opinion.  I'm POSITIVE it won't be a popular one. 

I really feel most big lines are pretty similar in terms of offerings.  The service is really determined by the people and the energy you give them.   Positive out gets positive back (again, IMO). Everyone has seatings for dinner (or not), a buffet, and alternate free and pay options.  Yes there is a difference in quality and offerings but 100% is going to depend on your tastes.  Celebrity wasn't my thing.  Too fancy for me to be honest.  We don't eat very high end food (some of us don't like lobster. Lol we also don't drink).  

Costs, itinerary and additional cost of travel for us is #1 determiner.   Cruises out of NYC or NJ win every time. I dont want to have to add 1000s of dollars to fly to our ship. 

Shows, food, activities are going to be similar but different, and you might hate what the cabin next door loves. All subjective. I will say that having a 13 year old pushes us towards RCCL because the activities and offerings appeal more to her.  Give her bumper cars, water slides, Abyss....    we get free time in the Solarium. 

I hesitate to take her on Princess, which was at one point my preferred line.  I believe it's a "classier" atmosphere with less to offer her.  Crown was beautiful.   I think you should give RCCL a try and then pick a preferred line....stick with it for the rewards when you know what has the best to offer your crew. 

Most importantly, don't go by what others say. Including me lol.   Look at the ships on line with your crew and go with what they findmost appealing. The rest will always be subjective anyway.  

10 hours ago, SUESEABE said:

@CruisinCadie What is an 'egg drop'? We are trying Royal &  just booked Radiance of the Seas so if it sounds interesting then we may try it.🤔

Not CruisinCadie, but it's a competition where your team aims to get an egg to the bottom of the Centrum, from several decks high,  without breaking it.

For instance with a cradle and 'parachute' made from a large hanky or piece of material 

There's some YouTube videos if you're interested 

Edited by sgmn
  • Thanks 1

Pre-Covid, my family really loved Princess (we sailed with young kids on Princess and their kids clubs are great and their ships are wonderful with small children).  Post covid, our first cruise was with RCL, and we really loved that too.  The two lines were more alike than similar, and RC had a lot for older children to do (I sailed the Coral Princess twice, so I don't really know what newer Princess ships have for kids).  The kids club on RC was great.  

Because you have a family, I would want to caution you about sailing NCL.  We pulled our kids out of school to sail NCL so my children could visit a monkey refuge in the DR, and the giant toirteses in Antigua.  A month before we sailed, NCL changed the itinerary to help the environment cancelling the DR altogether and replacing it with a sea day and cancelling the morning of Antigua (which is the only time the tortoise refugee was open), and refused to let me switch to another sailing because it was past final payment.  They continued to market and sell the original itinerary, so I'd caution families to be cautious with them because itinerary changes have been reported by other cruisers.  

The good news is I think your family is going to be really happy on RC.

Thi

Edited by kitkat343

On 7/8/2023 at 11:58 AM, Kellie in Texas said:

Guessing they can go 4 days without doing laundry.

We had done several RCL cruises. We got mad at them & tried Princess. After several Princess cruises we decided to pick 1 cruise line. We did a Princess cruise got off & did a RCL cruise. The 2 cruise lines were very similar but we picked RCL. It came down to ice cream. Princess made your ice cream cone & would not make the ice cream tall. On RCL you make your own ice cream cone. We since have done over 50 RCL cruise due to ice cream.

It's a LONG way off but November 2024 we'll be doing a back-to-back with the first 7 days being on Icon of the Seas out of Miami then hop over to Ft. Lauderdale for 7 days on Sun Princess immediately after. Very much looking forward to that.

I'm thinking the first 7 days will be non-stop activity and adventure on the gigantic Icon then the next 7 will be more about taking it easy and relaxing in the elegance of Sun Princess (Though it is still a big ship, same size as Carnival's Mardi Gras class of ships). We'll see how each leg lives up to that!