Is playing music or watching videos in the Solarium without headphones bad etiquette?

Georgia_Peaches

Is playing music or watching videos in the Solarium without headphones bad etiquette?  

531 members have voted

1. 1. Is playing music or watching videos in the Solarium without headphones bad etiquette?

• No, it's fine and those who are bothered are grumpy.
    • Yes, it's poor etiquette and people should refrain from playing their music and videos aloud.

46 minutes ago, Kevin said:

It find it much more likely to encounter an older generation person using a speakerphone or playing videos or music in public without headphones.

Younger generations have headphones and use them.

46 minutes ago, Kevin said:

It find it much more likely to encounter an older generation person using a speakerphone or playing videos or music in public without headphones.

The younger older generation can connect their hearing aides via bluetooth. No need for headphones or earbuds.

4 minutes ago, weregoingcruising said:

The younger older generation can connect their hearing aides via bluetooth. No need for headphones or earbuds.

My in laws, I guess younger older, live with my family so I spend a lot of time around them. 

When they are playing videos or talking on their phone, through their hearing aids, I can clearly hear what is playing from as far away as 10-15 feet.

It is something people with bluetooth hearing aids need to know.  The other side of the conversation is not as private as they might think.  And neither is the sound from whatever they are playing on their phone.

Edited to add:

I can't say that I have found the same for headphones.  I don't remember ever sitting next to someone using headphones and hearing quite as clearly what is playing as I do with the hearing aids my in laws both have.

Edited by Kevin

1 hour ago, Kevin said:

I come across lots of parents that hand the tablet to their 5 year olds to watch videos and play games.  Without earphones.  Just had it happen yesterday at the doctor's office.

Just now, zitsky said:

I come across lots of parents that hand the tablet to their 5 year olds to watch videos and play games.  Without earphones.  Just had it happen yesterday at the doctor's office.

Apparently there are inconsiderate people of all ages, but that is not the 5 year olds fault.

In my experience, and this is just my experience, I find it much more likely that someone 55+ will be using a speakerphone or playing audio over the phone speaker than someone 13-30.   The 13-30 group will have headphones of some type.  The 31-54 group is a crapshoot as some will have headphones and some will not.

My ranking of public sound abusers in order of most likely to be annoying to least likely to be annoying.

1. People 55+ and older

2. People 31-54

3. People 13-30

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Kevin said:

Apparently there are inconsiderate people of all ages, but that is not the 5 year olds fault.

In my experience, and this is just my experience, I find it much more likely that someone 55+ will be using a speakerphone or playing audio over the phone speaker than someone 13-30.   The 13-30 group will have headphones of some type.  The 31-54 group is a crapshoot as some will have headphones and some will not.

My ranking of public sound abusers in order of most likely to be annoying to least likely to be annoying.

1. People 55+ and older

2. People 31-54

3. People 13-30

I think I mentioned the parents.  I don’t care how old someone is.  They can all use headphones.  Let’s not talk about Bluetooth speakers.

Edited by zitsky

10 minutes ago, zitsky said:

I think I mentioned the parents.  I don’t care how old someone is.  They can all use headphones.  Let’s not talk about Bluetooth speakers.

I lump the kids 0-12 in with the parents age ranking. It’s not reasonable to expect a 5 year old to buy their own headphones. 

My guess is the parents you mentioned are in the 30-54 range based on the age of the kid and the fact that people are getting married and having kids later in life. 

On 7/10/2023 at 7:29 PM, NMTraveller said:

I think that it depends upon age.  If it is the younger generation they would be more diplomatic about it.  The older generation would just straight up tell them that they were being inconsiderate #$%^!

Yes, I think I agree it depends on age.  IMO, having to listen to obscenities in a public place is just as off-putting as hearing someone's music.  

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, ldubs said:

I think the poll is flawed because there should be a third choice:  

No, except for Beatles music. 😀

Wings only, thank you.

Edit:  or Billy Idol

Edited by zitsky
  • Like 1

On 7/12/2023 at 10:03 AM, Kevin said:

In my experience, and this is just my experience, I find it much more likely that someone 55+ will be using a speakerphone or playing audio over the phone speaker than someone 13-30.

Truth... my 82yo mother was in the hospital last year, and wanted to watch Golden Girls while in bed. No problem, we'll stream from my server to her phone. But getting her to listen headphones was either "too complicated" or "messes with my hair". 

• Like 1

Can someone come to my house and explain to my husband that its annoying to play videos on his phone not just without headphones, but on full blast early in the morning. He doesn't believe me. When I tell him its rude, his argument is that the TV volume is on, whats the difference? Ugh. 

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 4

On 7/12/2023 at 11:03 AM, Kevin said:

1. People 55+ and older

I'm 55 and I NEVER play music without my earbuds. If I need to take a call, I move to somewhere private.  Are you saying I'm an outlier?  If so, this has not been my experience but I will defer to you and your experience.  Not saying it's not so...just not in my neck of the woods.  And for reference, the offender in the Solarium on my cruise was a millennial...  who I guess, should have known better.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, poeticlicensed said:

Can someone come to my house and explain to my husband that its annoying to play videos on his phone not just without headphones, but on full blast early in the morning. He doesn't believe me. When I tell him its rude, his argument is that the TV volume is on, whats the difference? Ugh. 

InHomeCouplesTherapy.com     Maybe they can help.

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

I'm 55 and I NEVER play music without my earbuds. If I need to take a call, I move to somewhere private.  Are you saying I'm an outlier?  If so, this has not been my experience but I will defer to you and your experience.  Not saying it's not so...just not in my neck of the woods.  And for reference, the offender in the Solarium on my cruise was a millennial...  who I guess, should have known better.

Same - I'm 55 and I would never, ever use my devices without my earbuds. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/9/2023 at 5:45 PM, Georgia_Peaches said:

The music being played wasn't necessarily offensive.  It was just distracting and loud when juxtaposed against the mostly quite atmosphere of the Solarium at that time.  And I agree with @emmas gran  in that it's no different than loud video chats with family.  As for way too common, this was our first encounter with such a thing in now 10 completed cruises onboard Celebrity.  I really fear I am becoming less tolerant of those around me now that I am maturing in years.  

It's not you becoming less tolerant.  There just don't seem to be any boundaries anymore.  SO many aren't even aware of others around them.  Their phones/music/etc. are all that matter.

• Thanks 2

17 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

As I said, in my experience, you are the exception. 

14 minutes ago, SkystheLimit said:

It's not you becoming less tolerant.  There just don't seem to be any boundaries anymore.  SO many aren't even aware of others around them.  Their phones/music/etc. are all that matter.

Huh?  What are you doing posting on MY website???  Is there someone else here?  😂

• Haha 5

I was in the gym early-ish morning on eclipse…. Someone on the treadmill had a full on video conference with the fam back home about grandad. Well, first WITH grandad… “CAN YOU HEAR ME?????…..”, then with the fam. UGH. Super tempted to do the “join the conversation method” but then felt sorry for the person for what she was dealing with, back home, from way out on the Pacific Ocean. AND, still making time to keep to her fitness regime.

So I tried to ignore. 

I wasn’t successful.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Kevin said:

As I said, in my experience, you are the exception. 

As I said, I defer to you.  But I think there are many of us outliers out there...IMO, I think it's depends more on social IQ than it does age bracket...but alas, it's not really an argument about who the worst offend is.  The point of my post was to find out if it was just me or if others are bothered.  I'm glad to know it's not just me 😊

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

As I said, I defer to you.  But I think there are many of us outliers out there...IMO, I think it's depends more on social IQ than it does age bracket...but alas, it's not really an argument about who the worst offend is.  The point of my post was to find out if it was just me or if others are bothered.  I'm glad to know it's not just me 😊

OMG I am an outlier too 😀

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, kluv2cruz said:

I was in the gym early-ish morning on eclipse…. Someone on the treadmill had a full on video conference with the fam back home about grandad. Well, first WITH grandad… “CAN YOU HEAR ME?????…..”, then with the fam. UGH. Super tempted to do the “join the conversation method” but then felt sorry for the person for what she was dealing with, back home, from way out on the Pacific Ocean. AND, still making time to keep to her fitness regime.

So I tried to ignore. 

I wasn’t successful.

I was going to thank you for your service, but then I saw your last sentence.  😂

22 hours ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Georgia_Peaches, you and I share stage of life, geography, and emotional intelligence quotient on this one. I was raised to believe that etiquette is behaving in a manner that makes others feel comfortable. Which I don’t think includes requiring them to partake in my communications or entertainment without their consent.

It’s not just you! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Mrs_Tiki said:

Georgia_Peaches, you and I share stage of life, geography, and emotional intelligence quotient on this one. I was raised to believe that etiquette is behaving in a manner that makes others feel comfortable. Which I don’t think includes requiring them to partake in my communications or entertainment without their consent.

It’s not just you! 

I understand your comment.  But I think consideration for other people is more widespread than you think.