Is playing music or watching videos in the Solarium without headphones bad etiquette?

Georgia_Peaches

Is playing music or watching videos in the Solarium without headphones bad etiquette?  

531 members have voted

1. 1. Is playing music or watching videos in the Solarium without headphones bad etiquette?

• No, it's fine and those who are bothered are grumpy.
    • Yes, it's poor etiquette and people should refrain from playing their music and videos aloud.

24 minutes ago, zitsky said:

I understand your comment.  But I think consideration for other people is more widespread than you think.

I agree and am grateful for that! But not in georgia_peaches’ example that is the topic of this thread.

On our Millennium cruise last summer to Alaska, a thirty something man came into the Solarium, put his lap top on the table and started to play music.

It was pop music classics. Someone must have complained and a ship's officer came in. However, at that point, "Sweet Caroline" had been playing for about a minute and what always happens when "Sweet Caroline" plays was in full swing - everyone in the Solarium was singing along.

The officer walked in and was greeted by the passengers all singing (including the enthusiastic "dum dum dum" and "so good so good!) .  He looked very confused, then started smiling, and waited for "Sweet Caroline" to finish before asking the man to stop playing the music.

Edited by Homosassa
  • Haha 2

On 7/16/2023 at 4:40 PM, poeticlicensed said:

Can someone come to my house and explain to my husband that its annoying to play videos on his phone not just without headphones, but on full blast early in the morning. He doesn't believe me. When I tell him its rude, his argument is that the TV volume is on, whats the difference? Ugh. 

Is this my daughter?? Because we’ve tried and tried…call me  😳

18 minutes ago, dlh015 said:

As are you.

I’m not in the most likely offender group, yet. 

When I am that old I expect the world to revolve around me. I will do as I please because I am close to death anyway. 

On 7/9/2023 at 11:23 PM, Georgia_Peaches said:

There are no signs in the Solarium regarding playing personal music aloud ...

You´d think that some things don´t require signs but common sense 🙅‍♂️
Unfortunately there seems to be a lack of both...

• Like 4

1 hour ago, zitsky said:

911.  What’s your emergency?  😂

--I'm going on a cruise and didn't receive my luggage tags.

--We have $ 18 OBC left --- Any suggestions because we don't want to lose it

--It's 2 am and waiting for room service---Should I tip the delivery person $ 3 or is it included in the AI package--- Hurry with your answer because he/she should be here in 42 minutes with our 4 burgers, diet cokes, chocolate chip cookies, etc .

-- My Waiter forgot to bring my 3 shrimp cocktails at the same time and didn't apologize. Where do I go to remove the Gratuities ?

-- An old fart sitting beside me is , etc, etc 

-- I split Kings playing Blackjack because I had a "feeling" and lost $10--- The man beside me had 4 black chips in that little box in front of him and when the Dealer took 'em away the guy starred at me for 21 seconds , mumbled something ( not very polite ) , got up and left. 3 minutes later he came back to the table and pointed at me to his friend who mumbled something pretty loud. What did I do ??

-- And finally--- Here it comes ------ After " payment in full " has been paid the Captain has been changed . Now, what should I do ??

• Haha 2

On 7/11/2023 at 7:01 PM, ChucktownSteve said:

When someone is obnoxiously playing their phone intruding on my ear space, I usually go to YouTube to find the Hombres from 1968 for their song Take My overwhelming Love. Then I put it on full volume.  That works every time. 🤣

I just gave it a listen, excellent retort. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Homosassa said:

On our Millennium cruise last summer to Alaska, a thirty something man came into the Solarium, put his lap top on the table and started to play music.

It was pop music classics. Someone must have complained and a ship's officer came in. However, at that point, "Sweet Caroline" had been playing for about a minute and what always happens when "Sweet Caroline" plays was in full swing - everyone in the Solarium was singing along.

The officer walked in and was greeted by the passengers all singing (including the enthusiastic "dum dum dum" and "so good so good!) .  He looked very confused, then started smiling, and waited for "Sweet Caroline" to finish before asking the man to stop playing the music.

That song is awfully annoying.  Not a Red Sox fan.  

• Like 1

On 7/10/2023 at 11:03 AM, dlh015 said:

I just can't fathom what rationale these sort of people come up with in their heads...maybe some overwhelming need to be noticed?? Some sort of backward thinking that this anti-social behavior is a way of being social?? "Hey, everybody is going to dig my music (or whatever) and think I'm really cool!"

On 7/11/2023 at 12:36 AM, CU64 said:

Oblivious. Totally self-centered

Hit the nail on the head. I don't believe people are doing this type of thing just to be annoying, I think there are all kinds of people running around that don't have a clue. I see it in all age groups. 

I was at a Dr's office the other day and this guy is sitting there with his news program at full blast going on about the day's politics. Not saying what channel he was watching, but it's 3 letters. 🙃

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, ORV said:

Hit the nail on the head. I don't believe people are doing this type of thing just to be annoying, I think there are all kinds of people running around that don't have a clue. I see it in all age groups. 

I was at a Dr's office the other day and this guy is sitting there with his news program at full blast going on about the day's politics. Not saying what channel he was watching, but it's 3 letters. 🙃

This is addressed on the website.  No music from personal devices  

Discourteous or Disruptive Behavior Prohibited

Pool, deck, and theater chairs may not be reserved, except in cases of disability. Public nudity is not permitted. Guests must be appropriately attired, including while on stateroom balconies if visible to others onboard, other vessels, or the shore. Topless sunbathing is not permitted except on select itineraries and for those itineraries, only in specifically designated areas. For more details on our Dress Code, please contact Guest Relations.

Boom boxes, loud radios, and other noise nuisance(s) are not permitted. Roller blades, roller skates, skateboards, surfboards, bicycles, and similar items may not be utilized onboard. Scooters are not permitted onboard except when used as a mobility aid.

33 minutes ago, gfkcruiser said:

Pool, deck, and theater chairs may not be reserved, except in cases of disability. Public nudity is not permitted. Guests must be appropriately attired, including while on stateroom balconies if visible to others onboard, other vessels, or the shore. Topless sunbathing is not permitted except on select itineraries and for those itineraries, only in specifically designated areas. For more details on our Dress Code, please contact Guest Relations.

Boom boxes, loud radios, and other noise nuisance(s) are not permitted. Roller blades, roller skates, skateboards, surfboards, bicycles, and similar items may not be utilized onboard. Scooters are not permitted onboard except when used as a mobility aid.

There is a big difference between posting it on their website and enforcing it.  Read the chair hog verbiage. 🤣

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, gfkcruiser said:

Damn.  And I was hoping to go surfing in the pool.  😭😭😭😭