Is playing music or watching videos in the Solarium without headphones bad etiquette?

Georgia_Peaches

Is playing music or watching videos in the Solarium without headphones bad etiquette?  

531 members have voted

1. 1. Is playing music or watching videos in the Solarium without headphones bad etiquette?

• No, it's fine and those who are bothered are grumpy.
    • Yes, it's poor etiquette and people should refrain from playing their music and videos aloud.

3 hours ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

I'm far more interested to determine how one deals with an apparent etiquette "offense"

I think that it depends upon age.  If it is the younger generation they would be more diplomatic about it.  The older generation would just straight up tell them that they were being inconsiderate #$%^!

Edited by NMTraveller
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

I'm far more interested to determine how one deals with an apparent etiquette "offense"

In most cases it is best to do nothing.   In this case of loud music in the solarium, if it is bothersome then politely ask that they use earphones.  If they won't then complain to the ship staff.  Tough guy name calling as suggested by others might make good reading on a forum, but is likely to achieve a response in kind in the real world.  

• Like 2

13 hours ago, dlh015 said:

I just can't fathom what rationale these sort of people come up with in their heads...maybe some overwhelming need to be noticed?? Some sort of backward thinking that this anti-social behavior is a way of being social?? "Hey, everybody is going to dig my music (or whatever) and think I'm really cool!"

Oblivious. Totally self-centered

• Like 2

9 hours ago, ldubs said:

Tough guy name calling as suggested by others might make good reading on a forum

LOL-- Don't you think it adds a little more " spice " to the conversation than:

" Oh, excuse me, I don't mean to disturb you, but, do you mind , if you have time , to kindly lower your music. I will gladly lend you these ear phones so you can continue to enjoy your music "?

• Haha 1

On 7/9/2023 at 6:46 PM, Georgia_Peaches said:

I thought about it…I really did. Genuinely curious, what would you have said?  I think this is where I’m stumped. 

I have said something a few times.  What I've said is.... Hi, could you please turn off the sound or use headphones.  Thank you.

And just left it at that.  The times I've said it, the person playing music, watching a video and conducting a 4 person business meeting have all either turned off sound or put on headphones.  There's no need to be rude or nasty, just ask nicely.

• Like 10

2 hours ago, Shiba_Lover said:

There's no need to be rude or nasty, just ask nicely.

Agreed!  If there's anything I have taken from my career with me into retirement it's a kill'em with kindness approach.  Generally works every time.  I also don't like confrontation and sometimes no matter how nice a person is, the response on the other end is rude or confrontational.

On a cruise with my DM taken at the beginning of June, the parking attendant at Port Canaveral got very upset with me for moving my car into what looked like an entrance lane that was being opened up due to mounting traffic at the parking garage gate.  He started waving his arms and yelling and screaming and name calling.  Clearly, I had touched a nerve.  My kill'em with kindness motto left the building and I had an out of body experience as I began gesturing back at him shouting obscenities (not my finest hour) and telling him to go fly a kite.  DM sat in complete silence (and disbelief) as the whole scene unfolded.  So I guess I can enter into a confrontation when one is warranted, but I prefer peace whenever possible...especially on a cruise.

Great suggestion, by the way!

Edited by Georgia_Peaches
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, dlh015 said:

The vote is getting too close for me...I'm on the edge of my seat!!

Sadly, we know there are 6 people that we don't want to cruise with...

Be nice if the 6 people identified themselves.

IMO--- All 6 are just being " funny ".

In all of our cruises we never encountered anyone playing their music or watching a video without earphones in the Solarium ( where we always sit ).

However, on occasion ( very seldom ) in the MDR or Specialty restaurant when we were seated we noticed ( heard ) some rude, obnoxious , loud mouths (a guy wearing a cowboy hat who just ignored the Maitre'd when he was asked to remove his hat ) so we asked to change our table and were accommodated immediately. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, phoenix_dream said:

Never in my (long) life have I seen so many careless, reckless, aggressive, inconsiderate, illegal driving behavior as I see since Covid.  I see it also virtually everywhere I go - in my home area or when traveling.  People are more rude, act more entitled, and on and on.  It's disheartening.

Couldn't agree with you more.

It has been the deadliest start to summer in a decade on Minnesota roads, according to Minnesota State Patrol.

I picked up a cheap dash camera just because of these idiots and we drive very little (last year we drove 1,400 miles). I wish we taught people HOW to drive, NOT, how to pass a driving test.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, dlh015 said:

As did I...one for the dash, one for the rear window...

Mine only has one forward facing camera, when this one dies I plan to get one that covers both ends. With so many people looking at their phone and not the road, I need to get one for the back. 

On 7/10/2023 at 12:49 PM, phoenix_dream said:

I also hate when people do that on their balconies, especially when they know we are sitting on ours right next to them.  Loud phone calls and video chats, loud music.  Sometimes it's a family with children who let their kids make all kinds of noise - but it certainly can be anyone of any age!  

Had this happen on our Alaska cruise while "peacefully" sailing Glacier Bay, loud discussion, we could understand every word from 3 levels up.  They had to talk over their music.  

There's a 99% chance the offender(s) will be a guy regardless if they're straight or not...So all you have to do is put this speedo on, approach the offender(s) and say the following two statements..."Put on its Raining Men next" and "So, where can I find you later tonight?"  Either you just made them uncomfortable enough to leave or they'll be attracted to you and therefore honor your request to turn off the music...You might even get a free drink out of this 🙃

image.png.7d175e54eab78c032db1db71a232d45c.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

It never ceases to amaze me how inconsiderate people are becoming.  We have had a few instances sitting in doctors offices in the past month.  Woman playing a game on her phone. Bing, bang bong, over and over,  an older couple trying to do something with their bank account with it on speaker phone (please enter your PIN), talking to their mother, another conducting business.  All people old enough to know better,  

It happens in the grocery stores, basically everywhere.  I laugh because people are concerned about "privacy" but will discuss their entire life in public.  

I think I would see if there was some place to move or I would have had to tried to take the polite rule rather than risk a stroke LOL

• Like 2

This is a major issue for me.  There are some forms of music I absolutely detest, and it burns me up that someone might think invading my 'hearing' space is somehow OK.  It's NOT!  A big big NOT!  Of course, I MUST tolerate it...but know there are some people, perhaps sitting nearby, who are raging inside when you play music they can hear.  Earphones are cheap.  I've had occasion where other people's loud music absolutely ruins the pool, or other public area.  

• Like 2

When someone is obnoxiously playing their phone intruding on my ear space, I usually go to YouTube to find the Hombres from 1968 for their song Take My overwhelming Love. Then I put it on full volume.  That works every time. 🤣

When people are speaking loudly on their speaker phone, I act as if they're talking with me and have the conversation loudly back with them stepping over who they're speaking with.

Edited by ChucktownSteve
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

There's a 99% chance the offender(s) will be a guy regardless if they're straight or not...So all you have to do is put this speedo on, approach the offender(s) and say the following two statements..."Put on its Raining Men next" and "So, where can I find you later tonight?"  Either you just made them uncomfortable enough to leave or they'll be attracted to you and therefore honor your request to turn off the music...You might even get a free drink out of this 🙃

image.png.7d175e54eab78c032db1db71a232d45c.png

Who's cabin would you be spending the night in then? roflmao

On 7/9/2023 at 5:52 PM, Carried_Away said:

Playing music or videos without headphones in an enclosed public space like the solarium is appalling manners. I can't fathom how people can be so inconsiderate.

I can, we are in a different time and place, civility is a thing of the past.

35 minutes ago, ChucktownSteve said:

When people are speaking loudly on their speaker phone, I act as if they're talking with me and have the conversation loudly back with them stepping over who they're speaking with.

I have actually done that...on a shuttle bus between the airport and my hotel in Las Vegas.

I kid you not people applauded. When the guy was done, he turned around and looked to the back of the bus. I waved at him. He grunted and turned back around.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

On 7/10/2023 at 10:29 PM, NMTraveller said:

I think that it depends upon age.  If it is the younger generation they would be more diplomatic about it.  The older generation would just straight up tell them that they were being inconsiderate #$%^!

It find it much more likely to encounter an older generation person using a speakerphone or playing videos or music in public without headphones.

Younger generations have headphones and use them.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1