Is playing music or watching videos in the Solarium without headphones bad etiquette?

Georgia_Peaches

Is playing music or watching videos in the Solarium without headphones bad etiquette?  

531 members have voted

1. 1. Is playing music or watching videos in the Solarium without headphones bad etiquette?

• No, it's fine and those who are bothered are grumpy.
    • Yes, it's poor etiquette and people should refrain from playing their music and videos aloud.

On a recent cruise we encountered a person playing music videos on their phone in the solarium without the use of headphones.  While sitting there reading my book, I wondered what would be the right way to handle the situation.  Ultimately, I waited it out and the person eventually left.  There are no signs in the Solarium regarding playing personal music aloud so I am just wondering if others have encountered this sort of scenario and if so, how was it handled?

Edited by Georgia_Peaches
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

On a recent cruise we encountered a person playing music videos on their phone in the solarium without the use of headphones.  While sitting there reading my book, I wondered what would be the right way to handle the situation.  Ultimately, I waited it out and the person eventually left.  There are no signs in the Solarium regarding playing personal music aloud so I am just wondering if others have encountered this sort of scenario and if so, how was it handled?

Play some Andrea Bocelli, really loud 😁

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, markeb said:

What were they playing? (Yes it’s poor etiquette but way too common.)

The music being played wasn't necessarily offensive.  It was just distracting and loud when juxtaposed against the mostly quite atmosphere of the Solarium at that time.  And I agree with @emmas gran  in that it's no different than loud video chats with family.  As for way too common, this was our first encounter with such a thing in now 10 completed cruises onboard Celebrity.  I really fear I am becoming less tolerant of those around me now that I am maturing in years.  

• Like 13
  • Haha 1

I thought it was an unspoken rule that this is not acceptable anywhere in public - public transit, waiting rooms, restaurants, etc.  I don't care what they're playing.  It could be my most favourite song in the world but if I'm trying to read, or enjoy the sound of the waves or sleep in my bed, I don't want to hear it!

• Like 16
  • Thanks 4

We just spent a week in London and it seemed like everyone was playing video, chatting, or playing music. Without headphones. And all age groups and nationalities. Not sure when it became the thing. Or walking and talking on speakerphone. Again, all ages. 

If it was only for a few minutes that’s one thing but longer I would be bothered. Also if it went on for a period of time I would ask them nicely to put please earphones on ! 

Edited by sdnich

I save the cheap earbuds they hand out on the airplane which I don't use.  I try to carry them with me at places and offer them to the offenders.  But no the Solarium should be a quiet place and I'd ask the pool butler to either deal with it or call security.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, wrk2cruise said:

I try to carry them with me at places and offer them to the offenders.

Excellent idea…although these days you never know what might set somebody off. I purposefully avoided making a scene. Someone here asked how long it had been going on…I’d say at least 45 minutes before the person moved on. It was long enough for me to make eye contact with others who were agitated with the disturbance as well. I’m not sure how effective reporting the disturbance would be given that there is no signage prohibiting music without buds. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Excellent idea…although these days you never know what might set somebody off. I purposefully avoided making a scene. Someone here asked how long it had been going on…I’d say at least 45 minutes before the person moved on. It was long enough for me to make eye contact with others who were agitated with the disturbance as well. I’m not sure how effective reporting the disturbance would be given that there is no signage prohibiting music without buds. 

I would have said something to the offender. 

3 minutes ago, NorthStarStateCruiser said:

From the guest conduct policy:

"Boom boxes, loud radios, and other noise nuisance(s) are not permitted."

Somehow, the offenders never seem to be familiar with the guest conduct policy. 

Edited by Georgia_Peaches
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1