Guest lectures on a cruise for a fee - have you ever?

As I was doing some research on a random Royal Caribbean ship, I spotted this gem.  I ask you to pay special attention to the last three words:

Royal-Guest-Lectures.jpg.7f7e027f3dc576e25040109f6b03c269.jpg

I'll file this in the Learn Something New Every Day department.  I must say that in my various cruises (including a couple of charters on RCCL) that I've never paid for a lecture or seen an offer for a paid lecture onboard.  So I'll ask the peanut gallery - have you paid for a guest lecture on a cruise ship?  Are there any reasonable circumstances in which you would pay for a lecture on a cruise ship?  Details please!  Thank you in advance.

Interesting...

I've cruised on a couple of lines that feature enrichment speakers as part of their overall programming (e.g., the topics are related to the itinerary). On those lines there was no charge, but I suspect the cost was embedded in the overall fare. I was certainly willing to pay a premium for these cruises because it was exactly what I was looking for and the expert lecturers did more than just present lectures -- they also went along on shore excursions to add extra commentary, ate with passengers, held Q&A sessions, etc.

If a line were to charge for a lecturer, it would have to be one that I knew was a) a true expert in their field, and b) knew how to give an interesting AND entertaining lecture. By entertaining, I mean doing more than just showing some PowerPoing slides and reading the text directly off them. 

I could perhaps see paying a (small) fee to hear a best-selling author talk about their recent work, especially if it might include a copy of their book (with a chance to get it autographed), or something like that. Or if it was a well-known expert in a particular area such as a Neil deGrasse Tyson -- but only if it was a field that interests me. 

I might also pay a small fee to hear a travel expert (e.g., Rick Steves) or destination expert (e.g., Frances Mayes). 

Overall, I'm not sure how much of a market there is for this. I can't imagine much uptake on a weekly Caribbean cruise, for example....  On an ocean crossing, it seems ships should provide speakers at no cost as part of their efforts to entertain guests on multiple days at sea.

Edited by cruisemom42
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

Interesting...

I've cruised on a couple of lines that feature enrichment speakers as part of their overall programming (e.g., the topics are related to the itinerary). On those lines there was no charge, but I suspect the cost was embedded in the overall fare. I was certainly willing to pay a premium for these cruises because it was exactly what I was looking for and the expert lecturers did more than just present lectures -- they also went along on shore excursions to add extra commentary, ate with passengers, held Q&A sessions, etc.

If a line were to charge for a lecturer, it would have to be one that I knew was a) a true expert in their field, and b) knew how to give an interesting AND entertaining lecture. By entertaining, I mean doing more than just showing some PowerPoing slides and reading the text directly off them. 

I could perhaps see paying a (small) fee to hear a best-selling author talk about their recent work, especially if it might include a copy of their book (with a chance to get it autographed), or something like that. Or if it was a well-known expert in a particular area such as a Neil deGrasse Tyson -- but only if it was a field that interests me. 

I might also pay a small fee to hear a travel expert (e.g., Rick Steves) or destination expert (e.g., Frances Mayes). 

Overall, I'm not sure how much of a market there is for this. I can't imagine much uptake on a weekly Caribbean cruise, for example....  On an ocean crossing, it seems ships should provide speakers at no cost as part of their efforts to entertain guests on multiple days at sea.

This is just the sort of discussion I hoped this thread would provide. Thanks for sharing.  Well stated. I generally agree, though my interests are different than yours.

I've cruised RCI 4x in the past couple years and there were no fees with any of the lectures I attended.  Notice that disclaimer says fee may apply.  I suspect if there is a fee, it's for something spa or excursion related.  Typical lectures do not have a fee.  

• Thanks 1

Like many  of the previous posters I have never encountered or even heard of this kind of activity.

I would not automatically dismiss it, but I would make that decision at "game time."  I honestly do not know what topic might interest me.

• Thanks 1

Of course it looks like just one more example of “shrinkflation” - the continuous tacking on of fees for previously included amenities, the reduction in quality of included meals, the lessening common space per passenger.  I would not be surprised to hear of charging fees for taking a tender.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

I think if a fee were charged it would be for a talk that was more a workshop where there was hands on participation.  Maybe a famous chef cooking class…. EM

I think you may have hit on somethign.  Could be activities involving supplies like a craft session or maybe wine tasting.    

Edited by ldubs
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On our last cruise (domestic, Australia) hubby attended a Scotch tasting seminar (which he obviously enjoyed! 😉). We've come across the barman on previous cruises and he is extremely knowledgeable. The cost was $20 and hubby estimated he had about $60 worth of Scotch so it was something of a bargain and kept hubby out of my hair for a good hour!😂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, ldubs said:

I think you may have hit on somethign.  Could be activities involving supplies like a craft session or maybe wine tasting.    

When we cruised from Hawaii to Vancouver on Celebrity there were several "classes" that took multiple days. So for example, a Hula class that met several days in a row to learn a longer hula dance. 

One of the classes that a friend of mine did was a watercolor painting class. Same thing, met every day at a certain time to continue working on their painting. I am pretty positive that was free. But I could see them charging for something like that in the future. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1