INTERNET EQUINOX ?

Cruisegirl6

We always get the premium internet package, as my other half has to check work emails daily and I like to keep an eye on my pets at home via the cameras.  On the Edge and Apex the internet worked fine but we were unable to make calls, but able to text, look at cameras etc.

I read on other boards here of people saying the internet on the Equinox is very bad.  Question, we again will have the premium package, how is the internet as far as getting emails, texting and especially downloading YouTube videos and checking cameras on the house?  Truly appreciate the help

44 minutes ago, Cruisegirl6 said:

We always get the premium internet package, as my other half has to check work emails daily and I like to keep an eye on my pets at home via the cameras.  On the Edge and Apex the internet worked fine but we were unable to make calls, but able to text, look at cameras etc.

I read on other boards here of people saying the internet on the Equinox is very bad.  Question, we again will have the premium package, how is the internet as far as getting emails, texting and especially downloading YouTube videos and checking cameras on the house?  Truly appreciate the help

Did you go to the internet manager?  Sounds like you had basic yet you would need to have wi-fi calling enabled which the manager would look at.  When starlink first deployed, folks were posting speeds up to 50mbps, it seems fleetwide they cap it at 5mbps but that's only peak where it seems to average under 3mbps

• Like 1

I've not had problems making calls using the Premium Internet.   Wondering if your problems is with your settings.   Iain had a similar problem and I found that he didn't have WiFi over Internet enabled. 

Place Wi-Fi calls from your iPhone

To turn on Wi-Fi calling, go to Settings > Phone > Wi-Fi Calling > Turn to On.

You might need to enter or confirm your address for emergency services. If Wi-Fi Calling is available, you'll see "Wi-Fi" in the status bar while viewing Control Center. Then your calls will use Wi-Fi Calling.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

After just coming off Equinox at the beginning of the month I can confirm that wifi was not as good as I’ve experienced in the past on other ships. We started out using our Elite 90 minutes and then purchased a premium package for the remaining time. We had good service some days and bad the others. Surprisingly, our service was better on sea days than when in port. I’m not a techie so I can’t account for any of it. I was happy to get a signal whenever I could. 

• Like 2

One thing that I've noticed is that the Internet (especially on the non-revolutionized ships) can vary according to location on the ship and proximity to routers.   

One room we had on Solstice I could hardly get a signal and had to have a repeater installed.    I also noticed that when walking and talking on the phone I would often get dropped  when being handed off between routers.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

After just coming off Equinox at the beginning of the month I can confirm that wifi was not as good as I’ve experienced in the past on other ships. We started out using our Elite 90 minutes and then purchased a premium package for the remaining time. We had good service some days and bad the others. Surprisingly, our service was better on sea days than when in port. I’m not a techie so I can’t account for any of it. I was happy to get a signal whenever I could. 

This is my plan for up-coming quickie cruise....can you recall the cost to purchase internet on board?

We were on the Equinox last month in a Sky Suite with premium Wi-Fi and the service was the best of any cruise ship we have been on. Made Wi-Fi video calls from our phones and downloaded almost anything we wanted. Also used Whats Up app for calls too.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, cruisegirlppp said:

This is my plan for up-coming quickie cruise....can you recall the cost to purchase internet on board?

It was $124 with my Elite discount, which was automatically added.  At the time I had 5 days left on the cruise.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/20/2023 at 11:55 AM, terrydtx said:

We were on the Equinox last month in a Sky Suite with premium Wi-Fi and the service was the best of any cruise ship we have been on. Made Wi-Fi video calls from our phones and downloaded almost anything we wanted. Also used Whats Up app for calls too.

That was my experience too on Equinox this past January.  We were in a CS.  Maybe the suites have better signal?

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

That was my experience too on Equinox this past January.  We were in a CS.  Maybe the suites have better signal?

It's all part of the new Starlink service. Our cabin had a small box connected to the Starlink system and our butler told me every cabin had one. 

Equinox earlier this month with Premium Wifi. It worked great everywhere for me except for the bed in our cabin. Couldn’t be in bed and surf at all. 

Edited by Bandman
  • Like 2

I was on the Equinox in February with premium internet and it wasn't working well in my cabin. I went to the wifi help desk and explained I needed to be able to do a zoom call. They sent a team to install one of the routers directly in my cabin. It was great - best internet service I have had on a cruise ship. Much better than on Edge the next month.  I complimented the IT officer when I saw him at a meet and greet and he told me they are trying to get coverage all over the ship and were happy I let them know there was a "dead" spot. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lorimay said:

I was on the Equinox in February with premium internet and it wasn't working well in my cabin. I went to the wifi help desk and explained I needed to be able to do a zoom call. They sent a team to install one of the routers directly in my cabin. It was great - best internet service I have had on a cruise ship. Much better than on Edge the next month.  I complimented the IT officer when I saw him at a meet and greet and he told me they are trying to get coverage all over the ship and were happy I let them know there was a "dead" spot. 

Where is the wi fi help desk on the Equinox?

• 2 weeks later...