Bahamas port fees and tax increase

35 minutes ago, RyderJ201 said:

I still don't see how you can compare the two. 

I was just comparing a huge $$ difference, not actual items.  It's like to compare $30 special dining fee vs $350 for 1 massage: a price difference is gigantic, but items are not comparable.

56 minutes ago, kirtihk said:

My point was if additional $30 is a really big concern, a cruise itself would be difficult (pricewise) to accomplish.

You seem to totally be off in left field alone. Up until now locking in the price and fees, the price is then the price. They dont allow you to price match if the fees and taxes drop, because its locked in. It's the principle. 

I havent seen anyone, not one person who said they couldnt afford $30. Lolol. It's how they are doing it after people thought they knew the price. So far I've only heard about 2 cruises. Some of us have multiple cruises going there. Even my oct out of Galveston 8 days goes there twice. I'd rather they keep raising rates than tack on added costs. Personally I rarely cruise ncl, so dont care what they do. One on carnival, I wouldnt like if they tacked on costs later. Though carnival always gives back overpayment of port fees as obc during the cruise, unlike royal. I like their honest approach. I dont care if it's just a few bucks. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Though carnival always gives back overpayment of port fees as obc during the cruise, unlike royal. I like their honest approach. I dont care if it's just a few bucks. 

I've gotten minor credits back due to lower T&F.  Unless I'm missing the just, are you complaining that Royal is introducing this additional Bahamian taxes.

7 minutes ago, nelblu said:

I've gotten minor credits back due to lower T&F.  Unless I'm missing the just, are you complaining that Royal is introducing this additional Bahamian taxes.

And I have not. I posted the email twice in this thread where I asked and got 0. Rcl says it's up to the ship. They do not have a policy to refund extra port fees. .. I can post the email again, but my pt was the email from mbayley office says I cant get extra port fees refunded because they lock them I  and dont charge extra if they go up. 

I didnt say some random people have never gotten any overage back. The letter says it's up to the ship. Liberty twice choose not to refund, even when we missed a port. Carnival is fair handed and always refunds overage after you board, if it's less. I wasnt talking about a few people who got it back.  I can post their email if you missed it. I get it people who cruise rcl dont care if they are billed extra. It's not a huge deal. I doubt anyone will cancel over it.  Personally I'd like a policy that applies to all ships. 

2 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Liberty twice choose not to refund, even when we missed a port.

Only once have my sails missed a port and it was some years ago.  They opened the bars free for a couple of hours and even got some OBCs.

3 minutes ago, nelblu said:

Only once have my sails missed a port and it was some years ago.  They opened the bars free for a couple of hours and even got some OBCs.

Only once for us too... we missed Roatan in 2019 due to high winds. We received nothing but an apology.

5 minutes ago, nelblu said:

Our sails miss ports all the time!  We rarely get anything back.  What’s really funny is that the ship (no matter which one) always blames Miami, while Firefly333’s email from Miami clearly states it’s up to the ship!  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, firefly333 said:

Personally I'd like a policy that applies to all ships. 

You've been here and on ships long enough to know that's not how RCI works.

Biker, who will be interested to know how this works for folks booked in markets where the port fee is built into the fare.

Edited by Biker19

1 minute ago, Biker19 said:

You've been here and on ships long enough to know that's not how RCI works.

Biker, who will be interested to know how this works for folks booked in markets where the port fee is built into the fare.

I know I think it's you who said rcl is really consistently inconsistent. 

I saw aud fees are built in but this seems to just be Bahamas. Australia maybe isnt going there unless they used a USA TA, then they probably got it too. I cant wait for earnings. See if they made progress on their debt. Its trading like there will be a nice surprise. Hoping this nickle and diming shows on the bottom line. 

I saw where the OP said rcl cant afford such a large jump, but then I see a lot of posts where fees and taxes went down. As far as not affording it. .. my oct 12 2024 harmony was fairly inexpensive when booked but now a balcony is like $1639 per person (goes to nassau and coco cay)... with these hikes seems like $30 is covered. .. though mine isnt up that much. 

I remember the days of the oil add on. Caused a lot of ill will imo and then most were removed. I'm sure this time there is something allowing them to add whatever they feel like. I dont have to agree with how it's done. I know. 

5 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Australia maybe isnt going there unless they used a USA TA, then they probably got it too.

There are no restrictions on where one can book directly from the Aussie market - other markets also have the port fee built into the fare.

Here's something in their contract which other markets usually don't have:

After your booking is confirmed but before full payment is received, we will only increase the price if there is an increase in the cost of any transport included in the price and/or in any dues, taxes or fees payable for any services (for example, port taxes or charges of any sort). We will not ask you to pay more within 30 days of departure. In addition, we will pay the first part of any such increase(s) in costs up to a total amount equivalent to 2% of the cost of your confirmed cruise (excluding any insurance premiums and amendment charges). Only if any such increase(s) exceeds this 2% will we ask you to pay more. If any additional amount we ask you to pay is greater than 10% of the total cost of your confirmed cruise (excluding any insurance premiums or amendment charges), you will be entitled to cancel your booking.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, firefly333 said:

And I have not. I posted the email twice in this thread where I asked and got 0. Rcl says it's up to the ship. They do not have a policy to refund extra port fees. .. I can post the email again, but my pt was the email from mbayley office says I cant get extra port fees refunded because they lock them I  and dont charge extra if they go up. 

I didnt say some random people have never gotten any overage back. The letter says it's up to the ship. Liberty twice choose not to refund, even when we missed a port. Carnival is fair handed and always refunds overage after you board, if it's less. I wasnt talking about a few people who got it back.  I can post their email if you missed it. I get it people who cruise rcl dont care if they are billed extra. It's not a huge deal. I doubt anyone will cancel over it.  Personally I'd like a policy that applies to all ships. 

That in itself is ludicrous. It is hard to comprehend how the decision on whether or not to give tens of thousands back to their rightful owners is not a head office policy ....but is at the discretion of the ship...You pay fees to go to a port that you don't go to ..... It's pretty easy to figure out what's right . 

Clearly just a way to skirt the obligation by throwing a little shade into the mix !

I have only ever missed 1 port , and did get some credit .... Deservedly

Cheers

6 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

I just got an email today (same one many of you likely got) noting that the tax increase would be anywhere from $1 to $14 pp

I just got that email too.  But the one I got a couple of days ago showed our taxes going up by over $120 for two people on one cruise.  Not sure which email is accurate. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/25/2023 at 4:02 PM, firefly333 said:

I don't disagree with you on the refund of taxes for missing a port.  That seems a little... uhm...  wrong.  Where I don't necessarily agree with you is that this is a tax implemented in the future and it applies almost exclusively to sailings that have not reached their final payment deadline.  People generally have the ability to be OK with the additional fee or not OK with the fee and cancel or rebook on another cruise.  Daily fluctuations of the daily taxes after final payment I see as different.  However, I do like how Carnival and NCL handles it better.  I just don't see this specifically as being dishonest because the cruiser can choose to accept or not accept.

4 minutes ago, buckeyefrank said:

People generally have the ability to be OK with the additional fee or not OK with the fee and cancel or rebook on another cruise.  Daily fluctuations of the daily taxes after final payment I see as different.  However, I do like how Carnival and NCL handles it better.  I just don't see this specifically as being dishonest because the cruiser can choose to accept or not accept.

You dont mention that you cant just accept or not accept without usually incurring a penalty. If the non refundable deposit was refundable would make sense. So far I've seen a $11 and $16 increase. I'm not taking a up to $500 loss on the deposit to avoid $16. 

And yes I prefer how carnival does it. Obc for any overage once onboard. Little slivers of obc always welcome. I've only done 3 on ncl so not that familiar