Bahamas port fees and tax increase

Just got a list from Royal...ouch, could be up to $30pp increase based on the amounts they shared with me by reservation.

The Bahamian government has implemented a change to their departure tax amounts for all cruise guests visiting the Bahamas on or after January 1, 2024. As a result, we will be updating your clients' reservation with the new amount.

The adjusted taxes and fees will be reflected on your clients' booking before the final payment due date. Bookings are being updated in phases, based on the sailing date. The original and new tax amounts are displayed below. There is nothing for you to do, we just wanted to keep you informed!

We realize this is an unexpected charge and apologize for any inconvenience. Thank you for your understanding and we appreciate your continued support.

Sincerely,

Aurora Yera-Rodriguez

AVP | Guest Experience

Royal Caribbean International

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Just got a list from Royal...ouch, could be up to $30pp increase based on the amounts they shared with me by reservation.

The Bahamian government has implemented a change to their departure tax amounts for all cruise guests visiting the Bahamas on or after January 1, 2024. As a result, we will be updating your clients' reservation with the new amount.

The adjusted taxes and fees will be reflected on your clients' booking before the final payment due date. Bookings are being updated in phases, based on the sailing date. The original and new tax amounts are displayed below. There is nothing for you to do, we just wanted to keep you informed!

We realize this is an unexpected charge and apologize for any inconvenience. Thank you for your understanding and we appreciate your continued support.

Sincerely,

Aurora Yera-Rodriguez

AVP | Guest Experience

Royal Caribbean International

So this is retroactive even if booked prior to the inception date of the increase.  Sucks.

Ouch.  But with massive bookings through April of 2025 for Icon along with all the other fully packed ships going to Coco Cay and Nassau, I guess they really couldn't cover that much $ that they'll need to fork over.  I might need to change my sailings booked with my friend "Jane Doe' to be just me.   

Edited by rockmom

12 minutes ago, nelblu said:

So this is retroactive even if booked prior to the inception date of the increase.  Sucks.

Port fees and taxes have always been based on cruise dates, not booking dates, whether the cost has gone up down. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

Port fees and taxes have always been based on cruise dates, not booking dates, whether the cost has gone up down. 

No they have not.  While they have changed over the life of when the sailing was open for booking Royal has never (at least in the past 5 years gone back and increased someones taxes.

• Like 1

It always has been very confusing with port fees and taxes. There were cruises that everybody got adjusted in OBC while we pay the same amount and did not get any adjustments. 

I am surprised that these fees would never be adjusted under any circumstances, so what happened? Are any sailings that fees will be lowered would decrease?

Serge

5 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

No they have not.  While they have changed over the life of when the sailing was open for booking Royal has never (at least in the past 5 years gone back and increased someones taxes.

Got that accountant in charge now.  He will nickel and dime everyone to death, if he can.

And before an accountant gets all in a tizzy, I'm one too.  😂  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, barbeyg said:

Got that accountant in charge now.  He will nickel and dime everyone to death, if he can.

Pretty sure that this increase given the size of it would have been passed on regardless of who was in charge.  $30pp is a lot of money.  Jason will still go after all those nickels and dimes though.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, barbeyg said:

I think this is a Bahamas thing  not royal

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, barbeyg said:

Agree!  The Bahamas are probably collecting this fee for Royal to pay for their new water park!  😳

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Ourusualbeach said:

It's over a $30 pp increase for those on the Icon

Is it ONE departure tax regardless of how many Bahamas stops you make? Presumably if you just stop at Coco Cay too?

2 minutes ago, molly361 said:

I think this is a Bahamas thing  not royal

It is, but Royal has to pass $$ along now, whether they want to or not.  Staggering debt, interest rates rising.  

No more $18 drink package mistakes being honored any time soon.  😉

• Like 1

1 minute ago, barbeyg said:

It is, but Royal has to pass $$ along now, whether they want to or not.  Staggering debt, interest rates rising.  

No more $18 drink package mistakes being honored any time soon.  😉

Fond memories  I actually go to use one of my many $18 drink packages March 2020 right after the world shut down

• Like 3