Elite Laundry Question

G8rgreg

4 minutes ago, G8rgreg said:

My question is when turning in the laundry, is it customary to leave a gratuity for the laundry staff?  Would I just leave a tip in the bag?  Thanks in advance for any advice. 

None required.   Never heard anyone mention tipping for laundry on the many different tipping threads that pop up all the time..

• Like 1

Have never tipped for that service however we do tip our steward extra at the end of the cruise if they have gone above and beyond which might be interpreted as in including picking up and delivering laundry

2 hours ago, G8rgreg said:

My question is when turning in the laundry, is it customary to leave a gratuity for the laundry staff?  Would I just leave a tip in the bag?  Thanks in advance for any advice. 

No.  This is what your daily "tips" are supposed to cover:

CREW APPRECIATION PAYMENT INFORMATION

To simplify the tipping process for our guests, a discretionary crew appreciation payment will be automatically added to your shipboard account.Crew appreciation amounts will increase starting with voyages sailing on or after 2/20/23 to USD $18 Suites, $17 Mini-suites, Cabanas and Club Class, $16 for Interior, Oceanview, and Balcony Staterooms per day (including children). This crew appreciation payment will be shared amongst those staff that help provide and support your cruise experience, including those in the Bar, Dining, Entertainment, Housekeeping, Guest Services, Galley and Onboard Revenue areas. 

We have tipped the laundry staff on two separate cruises that were around 17 days each. We put a note on the laundry slip indicating there would be an envelope in the laundry bag an asked for confirmation it was received so we didn’t think the tip ended up being washed! On both occasions we received very appreciative phone calls from laundry personnel. From their phone calls I gathered it was very unusual for them to receive a tip. Even though we know part of the crew appreciation goes to staff, we wouldn’t hesitate to tip the Laundry staff, as well as our steward, and a number of other staff in the coffee bar, trident grill, pizza place, etc. on future cruises. 

Edited by erber
  • Like 3

Considering that we have only used the Elite laundry perk twice and one time they lost my wife's clothing for over a week (they returned something that would maybe fit a skinny 10 year old instead) and the other time they utterly failed to clean the spot she specifically asked them to clean (she later cleaned it herself) I doubt we will be worrying about tipping the cleaning staff since I can't imagine using the "service" again.

Perhaps it is just me but the tipping culture in the US appears to be getting out of hand.

My perception of tipping is to reward somebody for having done a good job - not for just doing their job, and certainly not before they have done it.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, david63 said:

Perhaps it is just me but the tipping culture in the US appears to be getting out of hand.

My perception of tipping is to reward somebody for having done a good job - not for just doing their job, and certainly not before they have done it.

I don't know that it's "getting out of hand"...but we certainly do have a different view on tipping.  It's just us crazy colonists acting up again! 😄

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, david63 said:

I agree and I'm from the US.  One day a line has to be drawn somewhere.  Already see the space to add a tip at the checkout registers at fast food places.   

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, coo359a2 said:

I agree and I'm from the US.  One day a line has to be drawn somewhere.  Already see the space to add a tip at the checkout registers at fast food places.   

I recall at Mickey D's years ago (have not stepped across their threshold in eons), they would refuse any sort of tip.

3 hours ago, david63 said:

2 hours ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

I don't know that it's "getting out of hand"...but we certainly do have a different view on tipping.  It's just us crazy colonists acting up again! 😄

Not this "colonist". I agree that tipping is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay out of hand. Heck, if I order a pizza online and go pick it up myself and then take it home and bake it myself they want a "tip" for just slapping it together. What a total crock. I am soooooooooooooooooooo sick of everybody having their hand out for a tip.

• Like 10
  • Haha 1

The amount of crew they have added to the tipping pool is also out of hand. Do I get better entertainment in a suite or from the revenue dept or guest services that They ask for more then lower cabin categories.  Tipping went beyond over board and out of hand,

I wear a flame suit to post on this blog---------------I reduce my tips at guest services to $10 PP PD. That can't be done if you have the gratuity in  a package or prepay. 

To simplify the tipping process for our guests, a discretionary crew appreciation payment will be automatically added to your shipboard account.Crew appreciation amounts will increase starting with voyages sailing on or after 2/20/23 to USD $18 Suites, $17 Mini-suites, Cabanas and Club Class, $16 for Interior, Oceanview, and Balcony Staterooms per day (including children). This crew appreciation payment will be shared amongst those staff that help provide and support your cruise experience, including those in the Bar, Dining, Entertainment, Housekeeping, Guest Services, Galley and Onboard Revenue areas. 

50 minutes ago, cruzsnooze said:

The amount of crew they have added to the tipping pool is also out of hand. Do I get better entertainment in a suite or from the revenue dept or guest services that They ask for more then lower cabin categories.  Tipping went beyond over board and out of hand,

I wear a flame suit to post on this blog---------------I reduce my tips at guest services to $10 PP PD. That can't be done if you have the gratuity in  a package or prepay. 

No but the suite is much larger than an inside and therefore a higher tip

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, memoak said:

No but the suite is much larger than an inside and therefore a higher tip

But only for the cabin steward - everything else is the same (same amount of bedding, same number of towels, same number of MDR waiters).

You could actually make an argument that suite is easier for a cabin steward to look after as it is easier to get around and (depending on the passengers) tidier as there is more space to put everything.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, david63 said:

But only for the cabin steward - everything else is the same (same amount of bedding, same number of towels, same number of MDR waiters).

You could actually make an argument that suite is easier for a cabin steward to look after as it is easier to get around and (depending on the passengers) tidier as there is more space to put everything.

Ask for a quote for cleaning your house and I will guarantee it will cost more to clean your 3,000 square foot house than my 750 square foot condo

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, beg3yrs said:

So the bar staff is now included in the auto-tips? I suppose they haven't removed the 18% automatic tips on top of drink packages as well as individually purchased drinks.

The drink packages that are included with the gratuities and Wi-Fi have the bar tips built in they are not in top of the package price

2 hours ago, Bgwest said:

I’m guessing the OP is a fellow American.

I'm considering putting a Tip Jar outside my cabin. One never knows, I might clean up big time.

• Haha 5

On 7/24/2023 at 10:46 AM, david63 said:

IMHO it has completely gotten out of control here in the US.

Employers are paying such low wages that they expect consumers to subsidize their low pay by tipping.

I sure miss living in Europe where the price posted on anything was the price you paid out the door and employees made enough salary to have a decent living.

Oh well, it is what it is.

• Like 1