The Fleet Report and Daily for Friday July 28th, 2023

richwmn

Today is National Milk Chocolate Day, National Waterpark Day, and Buffalo Soldiers Day

If you don't know where you're going, any road'll take you there--George Harrison

Meal Suggestion for today - Vegetarian Baked Ziti
Drink of the Day - Last Word
Wine of the Day - Bodegas LAN - Crianza 2018
Destination of the Day - Hiva, OA

Today in History:
2005 The Provisional Irish Republican Army call an end to their thirty year long armed campaign in Northern Ireland

Ship Locations

Eurodam

Victoria, British Columbia 2000-2359

Koningsdam

At Sea destination Vancouver, Canada eta 29 Jul

Nieuw Amsterdam

Ketchikan, Alaska 1100-1900

Nieuw Statendam

Eidfjord, Norway 0700-1500

Noordam

Glacier Bay, Alaska 0700-1600

Oosterdam

At Sea destination Santorini, Greece eta 29 Jul

Rotterdam

At Sea destination Amsterdam, Holland, The Netherlands eta 29 Jul

Volendam

Tracy Arm/Endicott Arm/Juneau, Alaska 0900-0930

Westerdam

Ketchikan, Alaska 0700-1300

Zaandam

Bar Harbor, Maine 0700-1700

Zuiderdam

At Sea destination Paamiut, Greenland eta 29 Jul

0728World.thumb.png.69bff19d3f42e19caab61ab0a6fcfbd3.png

• Like 24
  • Thanks 17

Good morning from a cloudy 64°F North East England.

Thank you for today's daily reports.

I love milk chocolate and have sold chocolate and sugar confectionery for over 35 years.

We are not keen on water parks.

Today's day in history was a big day in Northern Ireland History.

I hope everyone is safe and well.

Wishing Sandi and her husband safe travels today followed by a fabulous cruise and her DH 75th birthday and their 54th wedding anniversary celebrations.

• Like 27
  • Thanks 1

Today’s Care list:

Cruising sister’s great niece Murphy post-op, lung infection, back on ECMO

NextOne’s friend Denny with a large stroke, and his DW Bonnie

Lobsternight’s great nephew with bike crash, multiple fractures, surgery

Mamaofami’s DH Sam recovering from brain bleed

Cruzin Terri with no AC during this heat wave

Summer slope with a health issue

All Dailyites going through worries and stress, whether mentioned or not

Ill pets – Kazu’s Ivan, Heartgrove’s Sam. Cruising sister’s Molly

Canadian/US/Greek wildfires, storms/flooding, dangerous heat conditions

Shooting victims again and again

Citizens of Ukraine

From the rotation:

StLouisCruiser’s DB with pulmonary fibrosis

Catmando with eye infection, cancer recurrence

Tana’s pulmonary issues

Status of Scrapnana

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Mamaofami’s DH Sam home from the hospital 

Cruising-along booking a new cruise

Heartgrove’s house painting completed

The Daily Gardening Club posting wonderful flower pictures

All the contributors to the Fleet Report/Daily

Upcoming Cruises or At Sea:

1 days for StLouisCruisers (Zaandam July 29 to Aug 23) DH 75th BD and 54th anniversary

2 days for AV8rix (Nieuw Amsterdam July 30 to Aug 13)

Crazy For Cats (Zaandam to July 29), Norseh2o (Oceania Regatta to Aug 1), Dfish (Zaandam to Aug 23) and NextOne (Zuiderdam to Aug 25)

• Like 23
  • Thanks 14

Just a quick post before heading to the airport. Hope everyone has an enjoyable day.

Bodegas LAN Crianza 2018
This Rioja sounds lovely & very sippable. Fans amongst critics & consumers. A decent number of online distributors with prices starting at $11.99.

Winemaker Notes

Bright cherry red with a garnet rim. A refined nose with predominant notes of red and stone fruits: strawberry, raspberry, and peach. Patisserie and cream encased in elegant notes of vanilla, caramel, and a subtle hint of cinnamon. It is flavourful and expressive on the palate. It is immediately inviting, enveloping the palate and leaving a long and pleasant aftertaste. 
WW91 Wilfred Wong of Wine.com
The 2018 Bodegas Lan Crianza is medium bodied and layered on the palate. TASTING NOTES: This wine exhibits aromas and flavors of ripe fruit, savory spices, and hints of oak. Pair it with grilled lamb chops.
  • Like 23
  • Thanks 10

Good morning.  Thanks for the Daily Report.

Happy Friday!

Another hot, humid day here.  This afternoon's high is forecast to be 38C (100F).

You had me at chocolate.  I love milk chocolate!  

I love the quote, George was very witty.

The meal sounds good.  Not sure about the drink or wine.

I've never been to today's port.

Prayers for everyone on the Care List.  Cheers for all the celebrations.

Have a wonderful day.

• Like 27
  • Thanks 1

Happy Friday Dailyites. Thank You Rich, Vanessa, Ann (and have a great getaway), Debbie, and Tina.

I enjoy milk chocolate but prefer dark.  Today is a great day for celebration in Northern Ireland.  I enjoyed waterparks many years ago but no more (although a cooling pool would be nice),  Buffalo soldiers are heroes of American history.  I like the Harrison quote.  The Ziti sounds nice.  My alternative is Chilled Blueberry Soup and Roasted Duck with Sour Cherry Chutney as served on MS Prinsendam July 28, 2011.

Early run to Wegmans this morning and a very hot trip to the cardiologist this afternoon.

Roy

• Like 33
  • Thanks 3

Good morning everyone.  Thanks for the daily report.  Now there are some days to celebrate, milk chocolate, water parks and Buffalo Soldiers!  The quote is perfect for a lazy summer day.  The meal sounds nice.  I’ve had the drink and it’s tasty and strong!  I haven’t been to today’s port.  Prayers for everyone on our prayer list today.  Cheers to those of you celebrating happy events.

• Like 26

Good Morning from Bar Harbor, thanks for today's daily report.  Once we clear immigration we will probably take the tender and go ashore.  My shopping has been so good that I'm getting a refund once the cruise is complete. 

The concierge let me know that she will get my confiscated artwork and I can pick it up in the Lounge.

I hope everyone has a good day. 

It was a foggy start to the day. 

20230728_072549.thumb.jpg.86ba8e4fdc6e74ee27abea9b604eb0cb.jpg

• Like 34
  • Thanks 1

Baked ziti is so much easier to make than lasagna and if your family is like my DH and requires meat with every meal, serve some Italian sausage on the side. This is also a great way to use the over abundance of zucchini that appears in our gardens this time of year.

Vegetarian Baked Ziti with Vegetables  I like that this recipe uses zucchini to reduce that amount of pasta.  Remember you can use whole wheat or another whole grain pasta.

YLji1MZaJS8KG_EMhXWPyXKgwmT9InSSqggpeAF5mliwEC3nuWdm8fyfiNNv70uh4y74-5KXBEEjh3Fj7fD4V3byYdNQKl_RKWLO-cs5bBcWCSHmzfWMeU0-Blzsqo4wy1rOOCyNfTCNPyvDugWQeKw

Baked ziti with Roasted vegetables.  This recipe roast cauliflower, peppers and onions before placing them in the casserole.  It also uses cottage cheese instead of ricotta, something I often do.

M-a7uPZ3geNshKTc7yNkoPlAjI614C0wtJmBMpJ3SohQuiqljy6Y7Jef6bNTtixVL4XY915VyKLk2QOdca2amjj9txtYS9wmrVEfbvt7_DKNAJglv7XchyEzGuH541rudTrdkU3oEIMLvIepdD5o_8c

5 Ingredient Baked Ziti what could be easier: ziti, jarred marinara, ricotta, eggs and mozzarella.  Plus it’s Grandma’s recipe!

xjj61Hfw9YAuY5qRH3JxRrhmX5Sv4FkmwLStnrecykhW7o1UAxDWuOYSf6jEDaLmYzSsucEGIRxnxopzTv0hEEzxTo0uyjfPd7g6Afz_iE_weRdw6dgjOhjhH1HmGgfu8i7jPlSIoMQJVtb3kiS3EB8

Sending you peace, healing and all good wishes. May your life be good.

• Like 23
  • Thanks 10

Last Word cocktail:

The Last Word is a gin-based prohibition-era cocktail originally developed at the Detroit Athletic Club. Wikipedia
Main alcohol: Gin, Chartreuse
Ingredients: 1 part Gin, 1 part Green Chartreuse, 1 part Lime juice, 1 part Maraschino liqueur
Preparation: Shake with ice and strain into a cocktail glass.
Served: Straight up; without ice
Drinkware: Cocktail glass

Screenshot 2023-07-28 at 7.25.43 AM.png

• Like 22
  • Thanks 10

Good morning. We have an extreme heat warning today and tomorrow. It was already close to eighty when the dogs and I greeted the day.

We have not been to the port and don’t especially like milk chocolate. My brother has lived in New Mexico for many years and told me about the Buffalo Soldiers buried there. The baked ziti recipes all look good but no ovens will turn on here today. It might be a take out night if the others agree.

The port placement for chemo went well yesterday and we were home before the worst of the thunderstorms. DH has a few days to catch up on rest before the first treatment on Monday. Tana has had a lot of trouble with the excessive heat and humidity in spite of our best AC efforts. 
Take care of yourselves today, wherever you are.

• Like 27
  • Thanks 4

Good morning.  Thanks for the Daily and Fleet Reports.   I will pass on milk chocolate, no water parks either.  The Buffalo Soldiers should have a day and more to recognize them.  Great quote by George Harrison.   Looking forward to today's port.  Baked ziti recipes look wonderful, pass on the cocktail but the Crianza looks like a winner. 

Thanks for the Cares and Celebrations reports.    @Cruzin Terri I hope you have gotten your AC issues fixed.  Prayers for everyone on our Care list and the people of Ukraine. 

We chose a good day to go to town to watch a 3 hour movie.  When we walked out of the theater it was 92 degrees and 20 mph winds, it felt like a car heater.   Oppenheimer was a great movie and held our interest the whole time, much better than Indiana Jones we saw a couple of weeks ago.  We hustled home without our usual stop for dinner because a huge storm was coming.  We got all the groceries in before the rain started and lasted for 3 hours.  A day of gardening for me and probably fishing for John. We went out 2 days ago and the fish were biting but it started getting darker and raining.  We fished for a while more but John decided it was time to head back.  We had caught on keeper walleye so we had a fish fry Wednesday night.  We are not short of rain.  Have a nice Friday!  Nancy 

IMG_20230726_160700777_HDR.jpg

re10Y-dtQouxkicLDkDXdA.jpg

Edited by ottahand7
  • Like 33
  • Thanks 1

Thank you Rich, thank you Tina, thank you Vanessa, thank you Ann, and thank you Dixie for all your work. And thank you everyone for being here!

Bon voyage, Sandi @StLouisCruisers!

We are very happy with the way the house turned out. The body is a color called "Cast Iron" by Sherwin-Williams. The tall peak on the rear was a bit of a stumbling block and was left until the end. The painter needed a 40-foot ladder to reach that peak. I have to admit I was concerned with the young painter working off that ladder. Now for a bit cooler weather and my job of painting the shed to match.

Have a great weekend everyone!

Stay Safe!

- Jack

A6503640.thumb.JPG.f79c0bdcbb771dcef5447495f44e0f6c.JPG

A6503644.thumb.JPG.0f7115cda837b965c1eef59ba4caa457.JPG

A6503651.thumb.JPG.71cf5f729b9c9c95d7efe855d63e9725.JPG

A6503649.thumb.JPG.0bde020ea43c16738c77fc5958183a7d.JPG

• Like 42
  • Thanks 4

Good sunny and hot morning, it’s 74 with a real feel of 86 and 91% humidity. Yesterday at one point the real feel was 110. Thank goodness for air conditioning. Too hot to cook, definitely something in the microwave for dinner tonight.Tomorrow is another day in the 90’s , then storms to break the heat.

Blessings and prayers to all on our lists.Stay cool.

• Like 28

Good morning from central Texas where it is 78F and feels like 78F.  Our predicted high is 100F, but the heat index will be higher.  The latest update on the wildfire was last night.  The fire is still 30% contained, and they are working on a fire break. There was good news in the update.  It appears that no homes were destroyed, only one out building was lost.  They are concerned that our humidity is dropping and the winds will pick up.

As usual, Rich @richwmn had me at chocolate, but I too prefer dark chocolate.  We used to go to the waterpark near us when we lived in The Woodlands, and the DDs were younger.  The Buffalo Soldiers deserve more than one day of recognition a year as they were important in maintaining peace in the western US.

I like the George Harrison quote.

Baked ziti sounds good, just not today.  We'll pass on the drink, but would try the wine.

Today in history was a landmark day for Northern Ireland.

We almost visited Hiva Oa in 2004 on Tahitian Princess.  We could see the island, but the water was too rough to tender since it's not a protected port.  It was the port of the day on Friday, June 6, 2022, and here is the link for those who posted pictures that day.

@cat shepard  Safe travels today, Ann.

@rafinmd  Roy, I hope all goes well at the cardiologist today.

@smitty34877  Terry, I'm glad things went well for your DH yesterday.  I'm sorry the heat and humidity are making it more difficult for Tana.

@Heartgrove  Jack, thanks for the pictures of your house.  The new paint job is stunning.

We were supposed to tender at Hiva Oa in 2004 when we were on Tahitian Princess, but with an unprotected port, it was too rough.  These are the pictures I took from our balcony.

IMG_3973.thumb.JPG.097c8cc03cd7b6f167fdfa9fb6576d7f.JPG

IMG_3974.thumb.JPG.e4ecb47337b459e08cb88f2611e653c4.JPG

It looks like Sandi, @StLouisCruisers did not post any pictures of Hiva Oa last year.  I hope Sandi and Dennis have safe travels today to Boston.

Lenda

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
  • Like 23
  • Thanks 7

24 minutes ago, summer slope said:

@Heartgrove, Jack what a stunning home. 

Thankyou! It is deceiving from the front as to how big (4,200 sq. ft.) it actually is. The first day the painters were here and they went around the back, they were very surprised. After being here for five years, our 10-year plan or so is to go into something smaller when we start having trouble maintaining it ourselves.

• Like 23

Good morning. @Heartgrove Jack that’s a beautiful home and yard. Well the biopsy was quick and painless. No swimming for two weeks and will hear the results Aug 22. Visit the dentist this morning for a quick repair and hopefully that will be it for awhile.

Today is last full day of grand parenting and tomorrow we will meet her parents half way in Tallahassee.

Months seem to be flying by. In a couple of weeks we’ll fly up to Pittsburgh for a few days to visit son & family. That is a well overdue visit as it has been two years. Just could not get our schedules to jive.

Thanks  for the postings. Chocolate does sound tempting but not included in my diet. My treat has been mainly watermelon.

Have a great day. Bruce

image.jpeg.849fd0b6445ea48bbd309af1d23ca487.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.b58bf50035993ba25d13616fd8008b11.jpegimage.jpeg.e282e597c585d42888894c4d5b6dc2ed.jpegimage.jpeg.38a6dd6f7a149a88a092c203c4f99d18.jpegimage.jpeg.290a4ac1267d1f0a40b4f71c6f5132c4.jpegimage.jpeg.8a80ea6f39a55a7f971bb3080ec401b8.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.af6318e63dbcac92e2f3a42d7f00b14e.jpeg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 26

Buffalo Soldiers were United States Army regiments formed during the 19th century to serve on the American frontier that primarily comprised African Americans. On September 21, 1866, the 10th Cavalry Regiment was formed at Fort Leavenworth, Kansas. The nickname "Buffalo Soldiers" was purportedly given to the regiment by Native Americans who fought against them in the American Indian Wars, and the term eventually became synonymous with all of the African American U.S. Army regiments established in 1866, including the 9th Cavalry Regiment, 10th Cavalry Regiment, 24th Infantry Regiment, 25th Infantry Regiment and 38th Infantry Regiment.[1]

Although several African-American Union Army regiments were raised during the American Civil War (referred to collectively as the United States Colored Troops), "Buffalo Soldiers" were established by the United States Congress as the first peacetime all-black regiments in the U.S. Army.[2] The regiments were racially segregated, as the U.S. military would not desegregate until 1948. On September 6, 2005, Mark Matthews, the last surviving Buffalo Soldier, died aged 111. He was buried at Arlington National Cemetery.[3]

• Like 19
  • Thanks 14
  • Haha 1