The Fleet Report and Daily for Friday July 28th, 2023

richwmn

1 hour ago, durangoscots said:

Good morning all. Coolish here but temps will rise later. We are supposed to get a moderate break in the heat next week.... I hope. We had one very light shower yesterday.... not enough to really help.

Well, yesterday turned into a very bad day for me. If you remember I said I was worrying about a situation over which I had no control. It was a long time friend here in Durango. We were fairly close and did things like lunches and shows together some times and we talked on the phone regularly. She was a very social person.... belonged to lots of clubs, church activities, volunteered at several organizations so she generally saw and knew lots of people.  Was rarely home at nights and during the day. Anyway, she has not been feeling well and having some aches, pains and general discomfort- sort of what we all have. Not as much energy, no longer can do long walks or hikes. She had tests, MRI, etc. and they found nothing. I talked with her on last Friday and suggested she go back to her Primary Care as she was feeling tired and depressed and not sleeping well (Who is with the heat?) and maybe a medication change was in order. Her obituary was in yesterday's paper. Then, when I called the daughter of another friend to let her know about this, she told me that her Mother was in Hospice. Don't need any more news for awhile. My friend Diane's service is Monday.   

Soooo.... that is my life right now.... sort of down. Will run some errands, walk dogs and haul stuff to the thrift store and maybe read a bit.

No blue bubbles for me today. For all with health problems and house problems... thinking the most positive of thoughts for you. Life seems to be throwing rocks at us.

Susan

Oh Susan, I am so very sorry to hear about your friend and her sudden demise 😢  My condolences.

Even harder to know your friend’s mother is in hospice 😔 

This is a really tough and painful time for you and you may find it brings up more pain.  Please try to take care of yourself as much as possible.  

My heart goes out to you 💔 

• Like 21

I know that I'm supposed to prefer dark chocolate, but I also like milk chocolate. For friends across the pond, American milk chocolate is sometimes an unpleasant surprise, because the formula that Milton Hershey developed, and which others copied, uses slightly soured milk. Not going to a waterpark although with the weather as it is, that's almost the only place anyone would consider going. The Buffalo Soldiers deserve more recognition.

I don't really get the point of baked ziti. Would like the cocktail, but I think the recipe should say to drop the maraschino into the glass after pouring the shaken ingredients. No Rioja grown in the Finger Lakes, so maybe a Syrah from Shalestone Vineyards on the east shore of Seneca Lake. Shalestone is unique among Finger Lakes wineries in producing only reds. Haven't been to Hiva.

The blood donation was OK, the usual difficulty with getting it started and also with drawing the lab tubes at the end, but they were quick both times to get help from a more experienced person. I felt terrible in the evening, but more likely from lack of sleep. I'm still tired.

It's time to pay the balance for the Spanish Farewell, and I'm going to upgrade to premium Internet service. This is because I've applied to a graduate program with hybrid courses (in-person and online) and two of the classes fall when I'll be aboard the Oosterdam. They're at 4:00 p.m. EST so it will be no problem to attend them. One other falls during a layover in PHL, where I should be able to sign in but will have to keep my mic muted.

Dinah.jpg.317eb6092d06684483b6d794dbd49a4c.jpg

Edited by kochleffel
  • Like 15
  • Haha 14

4 hours ago, aliaschief said:

image.jpeg.849fd0b6445ea48bbd309af1d23ca487.jpeg

The large haulers that carry the NASCAR race cars to the various venues are, of course, also filled with the ancillary equipment needed to support the team at the track--tools, spare parts, snacks, uniforms. marketing collateral.  In the drivers' cab, however, there is always a stash of team hats.  These hats are passed out pretty liberally by the truck drivers to local law enforcement that they may encounter in their travels to show the truck drivers' appreciation for the law officers' fine job in keeping the roads safe for everybody.

I'm sure that it is not just the NASCAR  teams that have this policy.

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

Good morning and thanks all!   Prefer my chocolate dark too!  I’m with Gerry about white, what’s the point?  

@Heartgrove great job on the colour!  

@rafinmd excited for your future adventures!
@durangoscots I am sorry for your sad news!  
@Cruzin Terri sorry you have had such issues on your trip and return.  

Life sure has thrown many of us curve balls.  This week DH lost his cousin,  and dear former neighbours lost their daughter far too young. 

Thankfully,  nature is beautiful with more wildflowers are in bloom.  Blazing star.

IMG_2554.jpeg

Edited by bennybear
  • Like 23
  • Thanks 5

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily @richwmn,

Milk chocolate is my favorite. I've never been to a waterpark, but in this heat it would feel good. A big salute to the Buffalo soldiers. Good quote, which is also a Lewis Carroll one. A good day in history. I like the meal, pass on the drink and yes to the wine. I haven't been to Hiva.

It's hot, hot, hot and humid. I'm just back from PT. The therapist has added back massage, which feels good. I had a bad night's sleep, as I couldn't get comfortable with my bad knee. I fell asleep around 3AM, woke up to post the Cares List, then fell back asleep until 9:40! My PT was at 11, but is 5 minutes away. Now I'm inside for the day. Perhaps thunderstorms this evening.

@cat shepard @StLouisCruisers Safe travels today.

@rafinmd I hope you get a good report at the Cardiologist.

@0106 Thanks for the recipes.

@smitty34877 I'm pleased to hear that DH's procedure went well. Prayers that things get easier for Tana.

@Heartgrove Jack, the house looks great!

@Quartzsite Cruiser Prayers that the wildfire stays contained. Thanks for the Hiva pics from your balcony.

@marshhawk Thanks for the definition of Buffalo Soldiers.

@cunnorl I was watching the launch last night on YouTube, but when it got delayed I was so sleepy that I had to go to bed.

@durangoscots My condolences on the sudden loss of your friend Diane; prayers for all her family and friends. And prayers also for your friend in hospice. Hugs to you.

@kochleffel Congrats on the graduate program. 

@bennybear Condolences to your DH on the loss of his cousin, and to your neighbors.

@Cruzin Terri I hope you're doing ok. And that they replace the HVAC unit and take care of the floor damage. 

Prayers for the Care List and a Toast to those Celebrating.

Be well everyone.

• Like 24
  • Thanks 4

Happy belated birthday Eva @superoma  May you have an inspiring year! 

@smitty34877 glad the port is in. Get through todays heat. I like a damp bandana around my neck. 

@Cruzin Terri so difficult to come home to calamities. Take care of each other. Sounds like you are taking steps in all fronts!  

Jack @Heartgrove. Your house looks grand. Same color I painted our mountain home, we called it “bark”. That was 15+ yrs ago. And not all in one year, we did the fire proof siding in sections- DH built, I painted. We had scaffolding which we’d dismantle and reset for another section. Great system but a lot of work. Eventually I told him I’m not painting the house again although I did do seasonal touch ups from winter issues right up until we moved. Too much. 

@durangoscots  Susan, we all send you extra love!  The longer we live the more loss we go through. Sounds like your friend touched a lot of lives. And for your other friend’s mom, you will be important support for her.  And we’ll be here for you. 

@Quartzsite Cruiser Fires nearby are very upsetting on so many levels. My experience is that even when not directly threatening you, they still take a toll. Very glad to hear there weren’t as many homes lost, containment is maintaining meaning fire hasn’t crossed their lines, and hopefully the temps are abating. Wildfires can’t be “put out”. Containment by cutting fire break lines (by hand or by dozer) and air-attack laying down fire retardant lines is the best we can hope for to buy time for conditions to shift. 300 acres is a lot of work!  Support them with a case of water, a box of chap sticks, a bag of apples, a bag of socks, a bottle of hand lotion or sunscreen… or anything to ease their discomforts. Do not bring homemade food unless you are sure they can use it.  Our volunteer fire dept could, especially, fruits and veggies for sack lunches, but government crews will get rations supplied and count take homemade foods fir health concerns.  But not comfort items, they’re always in short supply. There might be an evacuation center that needs some things…. toothbrushes and general toiletries - soap, shampoo, deodorant, razors, etc. travel sizes…  maybe baby items if families are temporarily displaced.  Even a stuffed animal.  It’s hard on everybody. 

@St Louis Cruiser Bon Voyage Sandi!  

@marshhawk Annie, thanks for your info. Enjoy F3! Sending extra love!  

@Nickelpenny Hoping the new paths are successful. 

@kazu Jacqui, an extra hug for you, some tasks just seem daunting!  

@rafinmd Hoping you get more good reports Roy. 

@ottahand7 Nancy and John, sounds like you’ve got a good thing going!  Keep it up, Lovin your flowers!  

Blessings all, here and afar!  
m—

• Like 21
  • Thanks 8

6 hours ago, Heartgrove said:

We are very happy with the way the house turned out. The body is a color called "Cast Iron" by Sherwin-Williams. The tall peak on the rear was a bit of a stumbling block and was left until the end. The painter needed a 40-foot ladder to reach that peak. I have to admit I was concerned with the young painter working off that ladder. Now for a bit cooler weather and my job of painting the shed to match.

Beautiful! 🙂 

4 hours ago, marshhawk said:

I will have the oven on this morning, but not the rest of the day. I am going to make Blueberry cornbread.  Another way to sneak a healthy food into DH's diet.  Yesterday after therapy I stopped at the store, and bought an angel food cake.  and strawberries and whipped cream.  Dessert after lunch was a mock strawberry shortcake.  He thinks i'm giving him treats, I'm giving him fruit....  grated some dark chocolate on cherries last night.  Yum....(the chocolate was my left over easter bunny)  Most people have a cheese drawer, I have a chocolate drawer with a little cheese in it.

I hope your DH doesn’t find out what you’re doing. 😉 The things we have to do to help our spouses. 😃 Years ago my DH would only use SPF 8 when SPF 15 was recommended. So I would buy SPF 15 and kept refilling his SPF 8 bottles. I don’t think he ever figured it out. 😛 Good thing they don’t make SPF 8 any longer. 

3 hours ago, durangoscots said:

Well, yesterday turned into a very bad day for me. If you remember I said I was worrying about a situation over which I had no control. It was a long time friend here in Durango. We were fairly close and did things like lunches and shows together some times and we talked on the phone regularly. She was a very social person.... belonged to lots of clubs, church activities, volunteered at several organizations so she generally saw and knew lots of people.  Was rarely home at nights and during the day. Anyway, she has not been feeling well and having some aches, pains and general discomfort- sort of what we all have. Not as much energy, no longer can do long walks or hikes. She had tests, MRI, etc. and they found nothing. I talked with her on last Friday and suggested she go back to her Primary Care as she was feeling tired and depressed and not sleeping well (Who is with the heat?) and maybe a medication change was in order. Her obituary was in yesterday's paper. Then, when I called the daughter of another friend to let her know about this, she told me that her Mother was in Hospice. Don't need any more news for awhile. My friend Diane's service is Monday.   

😢💔🙏

2 hours ago, ssawjo said:

Today is also National Chicken Wings Day and, according to the local TV station, National Burger Day.  Which would you prefer if you had a choice?  I would select a burger but I love chicken wings.  

Bacon cheeseburger for me with zucchini fries. 😋

Edited by dobiemom
  • Like 16
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Good morning all. Coolish here but temps will rise later. We are supposed to get a moderate break in the heat next week.... I hope. We had one very light shower yesterday.... not enough to really help.

Soooo.... that is my life right now.... sort of down. Will run some errands, walk dogs and haul stuff to the thrift store and maybe read a bit.

No blue bubbles for me today. For all with health problems and house problems... thinking the most positive of thoughts for you. Life seems to be throwing rocks at us.

Susan

Sorry to hear your sad news.

with-heartfelt-sympathy-condolence-0jwiwbf1fmc41fyh.gif

• Like 16

3 hours ago, 0106 said:

@dobiemom @Quartzsite Cruiser

I watch the Food Network when I’m in the kitchen.  The Pioneer Woman is not one of my favorites but was on when my DH came into the room.  He saw her making BLT Pasta salad and ask me to make it.  He loved it.

BLT Pasta Salad

This quote got left out somehow. 
Thanks for this recipe. 

• Like 16
  • Thanks 2

Good afternoon.  It turned into a busy morning.  First we made a quick trip to W-M for a few things that I can't get locally.  We also filled the car since gas there was less than what we saw in town.  When we got home, DH decided to take the convertible up to a local station which had lowered their price while we were running the first errand.  One the way home, we stopped a our local station to have the tires rotated.  Now, we're inside for the remainder of the afternoon.

As of an hour ago, the fire was still at 300 acres and 40% contained.  They worked through the night to strengthen the containment lines around the fire, and around the houses within the burned area.  Currently, there are not evacuations, voluntary or otherwise, issued, and the highway is open.  We are far enough away from the fire, that it is not a worry for us.  The fire is one of many throughout the state because of our heat and very dry conditions.

3 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Good morning Dailyites.  A beautiful morning to sit out and watch the birds. I usually read Lenda's weather report because we are pretty close to one another. Sorry about the fire. That is scary with us being so dry with no relief in sight.

Jack your house looks beautiful. Great color too.

I went to a new salon and had my hair cut. The gal that used to join 9 of us in Sun City had shoulder surgery and was off for 6 weeks, now she needs the other shoulder done, so she just retired and we are all moving on.

Last night our friend brought Indian food, and another brought rum balls. We played games and I won all 3. Yay.. Tonight we meet friends at our local pub for dinner, then go to a dance and band.

I enjoy a piece of chocolate every once in a while.

image.png.5b213d1278215094626080068e507f19.png

Loved the waterparks when the grandkids were younger.

image.png.2fff8a8dec8ff871ed685630c0f7f9cb.png

God bless the buffalo soldiers and thank you for the information Annie.

Wishing ya'll a wonderful weekend. Stay cool! Blessings, prayers, and cheers to all of our Daily-ites, family, and friends!

Joy, I wish my "weather reports" had some better news that HOT!, HOT!, HOT!.

Susan

Susan, our condolences on the passing of your friend and to her family and friends.  I'm sorry you also got the sad news that another friend is in hospice.

59 minutes ago, bennybear said:

Good morning and thanks all!   Prefer my chocolate dark too!  I’m with Gerry about white, what’s the point?  

Life sure has thrown many of us curve balls.  This week DH lost his cousin,  and dear former neighbours lost their daughter far too young. 

Thankfully,  nature is beautiful with more wildflowers are in bloom.  Blazing star.

IMG_2554.jpeg

Brenda, our condolences to your DH on the passing of his cousin, and to your neighbors on the loss of their daughter.  

@dobiemom  Marcia, I saw the reference to the BLT salad recipe. 

Lenda

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

Good after, everyone from the Zaandam!

@durangoscots my sincere sympathies on the loss of your friend.  Hugs to you.

We went out to Acadia today and hiked part of the ocean trail.  There were way too many people to make it enjoyable.  So, we caught the bus back to town and had a great lunch.  And, bought t-shirts.

First some pics from the park.

IMG_2513.thumb.jpeg.58608575971fb7ce613ad1a17f780e21.jpeg

Sand Beach

IMG_2514.thumb.jpeg.d86bb10c2323d33ca0e0f6730c13f131.jpeg

IMG_2515.thumb.jpeg.4ea35804a66ab563cba86d9f00f874cd.jpeg

IMG_2517.thumb.jpeg.44715ea2ac4c385780bd3810e34156df.jpeg

IMG_2518.thumb.jpeg.d630236179b1eb9f53c7e04f4d2d0bd2.jpeg

And, a little food porn.

IMG_2519.thumb.jpeg.265662937d45212faf5893388ece2d8b.jpeg

IMG_2516.jpeg

• Like 28
  • Thanks 6

Hmph. Right after I posted, I tried to pay the balance. The HAL website couldn't accept fare-balance payments, although it could take payments for add-ons. Just now it accepted the payment, although it required some gyrations to use gift cards.

• Like 17

2 hours ago, bennybear said:

IMG_2554.jpeg

Condolences for your husband and his family for the loss of his cousin and your dear former neighbour for the loss of her daughter.

with-heartfelt-sympathy-condolence-0jwiwbf1fmc41fyh.gif

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, 1ANGELCAT said:

Update on the heat.It’s currently cooler in Ft Lauderdale than it is in Pa. Right now Philadelphia has a real feel of 110. Try to stay cool. 

There's an advantage in being away from the heart of the city.  110 in Baltimore but "only" 104 a county or 2 away.  Still it was brutal walking from the doctor's office to the car to the house.

Roy

• Like 14
  • Thanks 5

Good afternoon from a rainy Bluffton, SC.  

I did get my mani-pedi.  A chance to relax.  Then it was off to the Dermatologist for DH.  They cleaned up the mess on this head and gave me the directions to keep it clean for the next three weeks until he sees the PA again.  it seems that the incision opened up a bit when he banged his head.

Well, the AC has not been replaced and the main boards are on order.  We are looking at probably 3 to 5 days before everything is up and running.  I am melting.  DH is really having a hard time.  

We bought a portable AC from Home Depot and have it in the bedroom so that we can sleep her and not have to go to the hotel.

@durangoscotsi am sorry for the loss of your friend and also that your other friend is in hospice.  It is hard to deal with all that.

Bon Voyage to @StLouisCruisers.  Sandi have a great time.

Hope @Crazy For Cats and @dfish are enjoying their cruise.

Thank you to all that contribute to this thread.  

We are hanging in there.

Terri

• Like 15
  • Thanks 8

I have a travel question.  I was reading the requirements to enter Italy, and it said I must have 10,000 euros to enter.  And I must leave with 10,000 euros (am I going to make money in 5 days in Rome?)

Do you all travel with that kind of money-my main problem is, I dont have that kind of money.  Comes up to over 11 thousand dollars.  Am I reading something wrong?

• Like 9

Maybe we have all been asking the wrong question, when we say "can it get any worse"?  Because it seems everything has gotten worse.  The heat, the traffic (well bad drivers), the cost of everything, and our health, the loss of friends...Maybe we should say. It sucks, lets make it better.

So for all of you-

tenor.gif?itemid=16714181

• Like 18
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, marshhawk said:

I have a travel question.  I was reading the requirements to enter Italy, and it said I must have 10,000 euros to enter.  And I must leave with 10,000 euros (am I going to make money in 5 days in Rome?)

Do you all travel with that kind of money-my main problem is, I dont have that kind of money.  Comes up to over 11 thousand dollars.  Am I reading something wrong?

Those are the restrictions for travel. You can't enter or leave with more than that.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 4