Balcony vs Ocean View

1threadshort

For me it would depend on the cruise ship-- the smaller ones like The Jewel, The Sun or The Spirit have lots of free outdoor space for your use.  The mega ships like The Bliss and The Encore have outdoor spaces some of which are obstructed because of the placement of the lifeboats.

Also very early in the Season or very late in the Season, it might be too cold to be out on a balcony.

I have made several cruises to Alaska eitther early or late in the season and always within an Inside cabin-- just my choice.  Rather spend on excursions or Christmas shopping.  I have done my Christmas shopping more than once in Alaska.

No matter which cabin you book, enjoy your cruise.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, www3traveler said:

...The mega ships like The Bliss and The Encore have outdoor spaces some of which are obstructed because of the placement of the lifeboats...

Depends on your definition of "some." It was very difficult to find any such space on the Getaway.

• Like 1

The Bliss and Encore both have the Waterfront area on deck 8, which has no obstructions because the lifeboats are tucked underneath on deck 7. There are nice couches and chairs in this area, which is where I usually go if I have an Inside cabin on either of those ships and it's not too cold.

In addition, both ships have an Observation Lounge in the front of the ship, which is an enclosed area with large windows, a bar, food, couches, chairs, etc. It is a great area to view the Alaskan scenery when it's too cold to be outside. If money is tight, I would book an inside on either of those ships for Alaska (and have done just that).

• Like 2

You will regret not booking a balcony on an Alaskan cruise. Much to see. But.......guess depends on what you want to see. A balcony gives you much more potential outside time. 

Might be cold so bring jackets, gloves, hat, etc. Also binoculars. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, 1threadshort said:

Going on Alaska cruise:  I understand its a matter of preference, but do you think a balcony is worth the xtra money vs ocean view considering you are not in your room that long?

For Alaska, we spend several hours a day on our balcony watching the scenery and sea life (whale, dolphin, seals, etc.) We would never sail Alaska without a balcony. 

• Like 3

Last July I had a balcony on Bliss, it was nice but we didn’t use much as it was chilly.

This year at end of this month we are booked on Jewel, we booked an ocean view as the difference in price was our self booked air from Savannah to Anchorage for 2, which was a considerable chunk of change. I just could not justify a balcony at the price. 
You will get responses saying you MUST have a balcony for Alaska in the end only you can decide 

Edited by njkate
  • Like 3

We never cruise without a balcony.  That being said for Alaska, our best viewing tended to be on excursions or from somewhere up on deck.  

That being said, if you cruise in just an Oceanview, I am certain you will have a great cruise and you won't have any clue that maybe your experience would be different if you'd had a balcony.  You won't know what, if anything, you're missing.

• Like 1

Personally we booked a balcony on the Encore for Alaska and hardly used it as the Encore has such an amazing wrap around lounge.

In Glacier Bay we grabbed a couple of drinks and went to our balcony, half an hour later we were back in the lounge
For us (I emphasise us) a balcony is a waste of money, we leave the cabin early for breakfast in the MDR and don't return to the cabin except to change until bedtime.

It was Alaska that cemented for us that we won't book a balcony ever again, if you don't make use of it there, you won't anywhere.

• Like 3

I haven't cruised in Alaska or anywhere as scenic as Alaska (think Caribbean/Bermuda). Even then, I always insist on a balcony. And, I would absolutely insist on a balcony on an Alaskan sailing. I want that access to the outdoors to see the waves, hear the ocean, and watch whatever is outside the window at the moment. Even if it's just the sunrise.

I suppose I could see place for an interior or oceanview (both are equally crappy choices to me) if the only way I could afford going on a cruise was to be in one of those. I am grateful to be able to choose a balcony cabin, at the very least. 

Regardless of the choice that is best for you, I hope you have a wonderful time and be sure to take some of those amazing sounding excursions that Alaska has to offer!

• Like 2

We chose Alaska for our 1st cruise with NCL, with an itinerary that included Glacier Bay.  That alone was justification for us to opt for a mid-ship balcony.  We had warm drinks and great views.

On our 2nd NCL cruise, we stepped up to a forward mini-suite (no suite perks) with a generous balcony.  Great hangout for a Caribbean itinerary and for capturing marvelous sunrises and sunsets.

On the POA, we had an aft balcony.  Sailing the Na Pali coast... with dolphins jumping the wake... and the sunsets...

We wanted to return to Alaska, and Glacier Bay; and since we haven't been on a cruise since Hawaii in 2014, we stepped up our game.  We had to have the aft balcony... and DW & I need a little pampering too, so we booked an aft-facing Haven PH with lg. balcony.

I'm into photography, and there's tons of great shots that can be had if you deal with the many challenges the elements present.  We're booked for the end of May in 2025, and know to prepare for "cold"... especially important for people from Arizona.

I'll be taking good care of myself, as well as my gear, and will be using our balcony quite a bit.

Edited by azappraiser
  • Like 1

I used to think a balcony was a must for Alaska (or anywhere) but I've changed my views.  I can't sit still for long.  I like to be out on deck where I can quickly move from one side of the ship to the other.  Personally, if money is a factor, I'd rather spend it on awesome excursions.

• Like 4

14 hours ago, 1threadshort said:

Going on Alaska cruise:  I understand its a matter of preference, but do you think a balcony is worth the xtra money vs ocean view considering you are not in your room that long?

When cruising Alaska, I spend as much time as I can on deck, usually towards the back of the ship.  That way I can go from side to side to see all the beautiful scenery.  If you are on a balcony,  you will only see what's passing by in front of you.  The buffett area on ,y last cruise was the perfect spot.  Lots of seating, coffee available, lots of windows, and easy access to back deck.

8 hours ago, omahabob said:

Keep Manhattan, just give me that countryside.

"I get allergic smelling hay."

Never understood that...how does someone "get" allergic? You're either allergic, or you're not.

Maybe Mr. Haney or Arnold Ziffel has the answer...

Edited by schmoopie17
  • Haha 2

It is indeed a personal and pocketbook preference.  Alaska excursions are very expensive compared to other destinations, so saving on cabin to experience Alaska may make more sense for some.  If you are prone to claustrophobia or seasickness, having a balcony can be a saving grace.  

Another option you may consider.  Checkout the NCL Mastercard thread on page 1 of this group. (Just read the last 15ish pages not all 232…lol).  We just got the card, earned the 20k bonus.  We are going to book an OV cabin, pay for it with our NCL card (3x points for cruise price). The 20k plus 3x cruise price will get us close to the 30k needed to do a one level upgrade from OV to Balcony.  Pre booking a NCL excursion or two should get you to that 30k mark.  

Alaska is beautiful however you decide to experience her.

Edited by laudergayle
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, laudergayle said:

It is indeed a personal and pocketbook preference.  Alaska excursions are very expensive compared to other destinations, so saving on cabin to experience Alaska may make more sense for some.  If you are prone to claustrophobia or seasickness, having a balcony can be a saving grace.  

Another option you may consider.  Checkout the NCL Mastercard thread on page 1 of this group. (Just read the last 15ish pages not all 232…lol).  We just got the card, earned the 20k bonus.  We are going to book an OV cabin, pay for it with our NCL card (3x points for cruise price). The 20k plus 3x cruise price will get us close to the 30k needed to do a one level upgrade from OV to Balcony.  Pre booking a NCL excursion or two should get you to that 30k mark.  

Alaska is beautiful however you decide to experience her.

Great advice on using the card to get the best possible use of the rewards it offers. There are some threads I have read all 100+ pages. That thread is not one of them! Thanks to folks like you we get a compendium of sorts. 🤪

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 9tee2Sea said:

When cruising Alaska, I spend as much time as I can on deck, usually towards the back of the ship.  That way I can go from side to side to see all the beautiful scenery.  If you are on a balcony,  you will only see what's passing by in front of you.  The buffett area on ,y last cruise was the perfect spot.  Lots of seating, coffee available, lots of windows, and easy access to back deck.

Buffet is a scenic location for many on ships.  I understand.  The problem becomes the buffet is for eating and way too often people camp out in there making it an observation lounge and those wanting to find seats to eat becomes difficult.

Balcony a must for us😊

On our first Alaska cruise last September, we actually enjoyed the part of the cruise we normally like the least.....packing up to go home!     

Sailing back to Seattle, we took MUCH longer to get the packing done due to the number of times we had to run out on our balcony to watch all of the whales🐳🐋🐳.   It really put a great last day memory to that cruise.  We will lament the lack of whale watching when we are packing up on the last day of our next Caribbean cruise

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I was very happy in my interior room on my Alaskan cruise and actually booked it a second time. If money were no object I’d book a suite but I rather cruise more often than spend on a balcony. Make sure the ship has lots of viewing spots that you can sit and enjoy the scenery. 

in the morning I wake up, get dressed, head out for coffee and don’t really return until I’m getting dressed for dinner. Look at the itinerary if your in port most days you won’t be looking at much scenery anyways and the few sea days you can spend your time out of your cabin. 

lots of people will say a balcony is the absolute minimum cabin type but lots of people are not you. Only you can decide what is right for you.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, schmoopie17 said:

"I get allergic smelling hay."

Never understood that...how does someone "get" allergic? You're either allergic, or you're not.

Maybe Mr. Haney or Arnold Ziffel has the answer...

Arnold had the answer to EVERYTHING! It's just that very few people understood him.

• Haha 2

I think you answered your own question.  Its all a matter of preference.  I personally get allot of decompression from work by just enjoying a coffee (morning) alcohol (evenings) and watch the water go by.  Its really a personal preference.  AK adds the scenery so i vote the balcony.

• Like 1